Chapala.com Webboard

Christmas in July

MyHomeSweetHome

The month of July in Chapala is tropical, green and very beautiful. The evening thunder/rain storms and cooler temps are always welcome! Even with partly cloudy skies giving us some sunshine during the day, I've noticed over the years that there are enough grey days to affect my mood. The cooler temps do make time spent in la cocina more enjoyable for sure. It wasn't until this year that I finally understood what Christmas in July was all about. Since a child I just thought it was annoying to play out of place Christmas programs mid year while all I wanted to do was get to the lake and ride jet skis or float on an air mattress. With Australia in full winter, they enjoy Yulefest, hot Christmas meals and goodies! So why not here in the sub tropics? It seems to make for a real mood lifter being jolly and nice! I went on a hunt for some craft supplies to make Christmas ornaments with little foot. Apparently, there's a restaurant in Ajijic serving Christmas in July meals from 12 p.m.-4 p.m. every Sunday! Does anyone know what the name of the restaurant is? Or what they are serving? Since I've had no luck finding the perfect Christmas in July turkey, which I'll be sure to set one aside for come the fall, I think I'll make some fresh hot hoagies and serve French dips with cheesecake. btw, The Cheesecake Factory just opened up in Galarias along with an new PF Changs and there's a lot of 50% sales going on. Tis the season to be jolly!

Don't get Christmas in July mixed up with Christ's birth...this is about food! :D So pull out the artificial tree, dust it off and cook something yummy! lolol

Maybe it was about the word "Christmas", eh? Putting up an artificial tree in July sounds a bit bizarre,

but then, I have seen some places where they never take the decorations down in the first place.

But.......whatever floats it! Enjoy.

I think you are on to a great idea Lori! People are always looking for an excuse to break out the booze - but getting presents and a big family dinner is great fun. Maybe call it "Festivus", like the old Seinfeld show.

I found a professional meat store in Guadalajara that imports a lot of product, including turkey breast. Just an impression off the internet, but they seem pretty solid. They say that they only sell to restaurants, hotels, etc - but they all say that. Maybe contact them to see if they sell to the public for special occasions.

http://www.comnor.com.mx/proveedores.htm

Yes, I've found a few bah-hum-bug Christmas in July persons and believe me, they'll be gettin nothin! :lol::lol::lol: Well, the marshmallows have been made for rice crispy treats, the chocolate waffers have been baked for the cappachino cheesecake crust, and the almond's have been toasted, purred, mixed and formed into balls chillin to be dipped in chocolate for buckeye balls...believe me, some kids and big kids are going to be pretty happy about that! :wub:

Yes, I've found a few bah-hum-bug Christmas in July persons and believe me, they'll be gettin nothin! :lol::lol::lol: Well, the marshmallows have been made for rice crispy treats, the chocolate waffers have been baked for the cappachino cheesecake crust, and the almond's have been toasted, purred, mixed and formed into balls chillin to be dipped in chocolate for buckeye balls...believe me, some kids and big kids are going to be pretty happy about that! :wub:

I think I figured out 'waffer'--it's either a waffle or a wafer--but how in the world do you purr an almond?

Archived