Chapala.com Webboard

Hot Rod Burrito Express

ComputerGuy

Got a couple of orders of food to go at Burrito Express (upstairs Plaza Bugambilias). Cooked from scratch, took a while, but pretty good for $55 pesos (both were skewers of chicken or beef with veg on rice, mashed potato, and salad). But after paying what I thought was a tip, at home the bill showed they had charged me an extra 10 pesos for--I guess--the containers. This is ridiculous. Where I come from, you get more food for less or equal money when you order "to go", because they don't have to bus, wait, or clean the dishes.

Happened a few months ago, too, at the little Chinese takeout near the lights in Chapala. Is this the shape of things to come?

I have worked in the food and beverage industry for my entire career. Things are changing, costs of both food and supplies have dramatically increased and many operators are having to pass on the costs to the consumer to stay in business. A new reality for consumers. Fast food in some NOB areas are charging for condiments in excess of what they determine is a normal portion. Some places are starting to charge on refills on soft drinks. Margins in the food business are tight, so this is not going to get better as costs go up.

Labor costs being what they are here it probably is cheaper to have someone clean the tables and wash dishes. I've wondered how Hot Rod Burrito has stayed in business. His food is always very good, the amount is plentiful and the prices are unbelievably inexpensive. This is one place I would be happy to pay a little extra if I was to have take out.

I wouldn't object to paying for takeout containers, but maybe there should be a sign saying so, in plain sight.

Here's another one:

I always order plain water at restaurants with my lunch since I don't want the salt in mineral water, don't drink alcohol at lunch and don't want either sugar or the questionable chemicals in "diet" drinks. Water is just fine with me as an alternative. (And no, I don't add lemon and sugar to make "lemonade".....lol. That was from some time ago on this board and I thought the idea was hilarious.) I have heard of rare restaurants charging 10 pesos for plain water in a glass, but think that's counterproductive in terms of customer relations.

The last time I ordered plain water, I was served a small plastic water bottle and was charged 10 pesos for it. I didn't complain and assumed the waiter didn't understand. Next time, in the same restaurant, I asked for plain water from the garafon, but was told that wasn't being allowed in restaurants any more, by law. Anyone else heard that one? Since that event last week, I've been to other restaurants around here and was served plain water in a glass and not charged anything. BTW, that small charge won't keep me from returning to the "plastic bottle" restaurant, since the food is excellent, as is the service, with reasonable prices..

What gives? Is there such a new "law"?

Interesting. He probably made it up. Never heard of such a thing, and I'm sure through one of the many owners we know we would have heard such a thing. I was at Yves' last week with no such restriction.

I, like Gringal, just drink plain water when eat whether at home or in a restaurant. I stopped going to 2 places here, because I was refused a glass of water from the garrafon and my only option was to buy a bottle of water. Penny wise and pound foolish IMHO.

To: HookEmHorns: Sadly, for the most part inspection of restaurants here at Lakeside is virtually in the hands of the clientele. Yes there are restaurants that appear to have clean dining areas, clean restrooms, visible cooking areas that are also clean and staff who are cleanly dressed and of neat appearance. However, there is no regular inspection of restaurants, the food service and preparation staff or the actual care and preparation of food. Nor is there regular cleaning and inspection of beverage dispensing systems in the few restaurants/bars that serve draught beer. http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/faqs/FAQ_CLEAN.shtml . It wasn't that long ago that I asked a bartender who had worked quite a few years in one of the Ajijic bars, who do serve draft beer, how often the draught lines were cleaned. Answer: "Never, in my years here!" That's why the beer tasted so "yeasty" and "smelled off". (See the embedded web address).

Best inspection........Check the restrooms before you order. If the restroom is not up to scratch then you can bet that a restaurant operator who can't bother to keep the restrooms clean and equipped is definitely not concerned about how the "back of house" or kitchen is maintained. Solution: Tell the owner/manager exactly why you're leaving and leave! There are numerous "horror stories" in the restaurant business here at Lakeside. Yes, we're in North America here in Mexico but the food and beverage service industry is not "policed or regulated" anything close to the standards that are in place in Canada and the United States. Sadly, most establishments here would not survive an inspection and would be closed immediately. Over time things will change...hopefully

• 2 weeks later...

It states at the bottom of their to-go menu (the one that comes when they deliver your food) that their area of delivery is limited and that they are 5 pesos each to "burritos." If you ordered two plates and it was $10 extra, that's probably why you were charged.

Computer Guy, I don't think it matters whether you pick it up or not .... it is still "to go" and they still have to use to go plates and utinsels. Of course, they don't have to pay for the gas, etc. to deliver but I wonder if the little guy that delivers gets paid anything other than tips.

Well, in my experience, that's just not the way these things work. Gas, as you said, is one item. No way does a tip cover gas and give a guy anything left over. But be that as it may, "to go", as I mentioned in an earlier post, means less cost for a restaurant. No cleaning up, no tables being utilized, etc. And we were given no utensils. Nor any utensils at the Chinese takout place. All the other takeout places I've been to around here give you the package, the utensils, and generallys speaking... more food than eating in. That's the way it works. If someone wants to change the rules, that's fine, too, as I said. Just let me know first.

Got a couple of orders of food to go at Burrito Express (upstairs Plaza Bugambilias). Cooked from scratch, took a while, but pretty good for $55 pesos (both were skewers of chicken or beef with veg on rice, mashed potato, and salad).

Sounds like a great meal for 55 pesos.My wife and I got some burritos to go there once and her comment was that you'd have hard time finding the equivalent value in Guadalajara.

I've always given restaurants a bit more when I order takeout to cover the cost of the containers. I guess Burrito Express felt compelled to add the additional charge on the "to go" orders. Otherwise, to help absorb operating costs, they might have had to raise the price of the plate to 60 pesos across the board, dine in or otherwise. And I think we all know how well that would go over in this town.

I can't even imagine their margins, putting out that food at that price.

I've always given restaurants a bit more when I order takeout to cover the cost of the containers. I guess Burrito Express felt compelled to add the additional charge on the "to go" orders. Otherwise, to help absorb operating costs, they might have had to raise the price of the plate to 60 pesos across the board, dine in or otherwise. And I think we all know how well that would go over in this town.

I can't even imagine their margins, putting out that food at that price.

So Travis, are you only here for the cheap food,

never mind the cost, as long as you nob's get everything

cheap. what about these poor peoples family,

as long s you get cheap food, come on

Archived