Chapala.com Webboard

Guadalajara to Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic

eagles100

I'm looking for info on local travel agencies. From my research here, many have used Viajes Ajijic (aka In God We Trust) with success (some not so much).

I've looked at many Mexican and American airlines and I'm finding horrible flights, no less than 3 flights to get to Puerto Plata (Dominican Republic) from here and no less than 18 hours total with layovers. I'm used to booking flights to and from Canada / Mexico and from Canada to the Caribbean but not from Guadalajara to the Caribbean. I already know which hotel I want to book in Puerto Plata so that's a start.

I've tried Kayak, Expedia, United, American Airlines, SouthWest Airlines, US Airways, AeroMexico, Volaris, etc.

I must be missing something.

If the flights to Puerto Plata are really that horrible, we might take a detour to Orlando for a few days and go to Puerto Plata from Orlando; we haven't been to DisneyWorld in a long while. In that case, what is the best/cheapest airline to get us from Guad to Orlando?

Thanks for your input, as usual.

I'm looking for info on local travel agencies. From my research here, many have used Viajes Ajijic (aka In God We Trust) with success (some not so much).

I've looked at many Mexican and American airlines and I'm finding horrible flights, no less than 3 flights to get to Puerto Plata (Dominican Republic) from here and no less than 18 hours total with layovers. I'm used to booking flights to and from Canada / Mexico and from Canada to the Caribbean but not from Guadalajara to the Caribbean. I already know which hotel I want to book in Puerto Plata so that's a start.

I've tried Kayak, Expedia, United, American Airlines, SouthWest Airlines, US Airways, AeroMexico, Volaris, etc.

I must be missing something.best and cheapest will depend on timing of when you book. There is no rule as to the best time to book. After working for American Airlines as an agent for 30 years I can honestly say it is a crap shoot on timing.

If the flights to Puerto Plata are really that horrible, we might take a detour to Orlando for a few days and go to Puerto Plata from Orlando; we haven't been to DisneyWorld in a long while. In that case, what is the best/cheapest airline to get us from Guad to Orlando?

Thanks for your input, as usual.

It's really easy. Fly on Copa Airlines, from Guadalajara via Panama City to Santiago de los Caballeros, Dominican Republic. (they don't fly directly to Puerto Plata any more). Then take either a shuttle or a luxury bus for the last hour or so to Puerto Plata. Buses are similar to Mexico luxury buses. Use either Metro or Caribe Tours bus lines. Caribe Tours has a bus leaving Santiago about every hour, cost is $3 to Puerto Plata.

Example fare: Depart 03 Feb, Guadalajara 5:16am arrive Panama City 10:16 am

Depart Panama City 11.32 am arrive Santiago, DR 2:58 pm

Depart 10 Feb Santiago DR 3:54pm arrive Panama City 5:32pm

Depart Panama City 9:26pm arrive Guadalajara 12:38am

Cost US$665 normal fare

There is no visa required for the Panama City in transit, and to me it is one of the nicest airports I've ever traveled through (the exception being not so great, and expensive food choices in the airport) . COPA connections are normally only an hour apart, and I've never had a bag not make the connection. With a 4 hour layover coming back, pack a few snacks with your carry-on.

Copa is now owned by United, but the United effect hasn't rubbed off on Copa to turn it into an inferior airline. Planes are newer and in great shape, and attendants have great attitudes. Why deal with surly people in crappy US airports when you could travel the way it used to be in the US?

• 3 months later...

It's really easy. Fly on Copa Airlines, from Guadalajara via Panama City to Santiago de los Caballeros, Dominican Republic. (they don't fly directly to Puerto Plata any more). Then take either a shuttle or a luxury bus for the last hour or so to Puerto Plata. Buses are similar to Mexico luxury buses. Use either Metro or Caribe Tours bus lines. Caribe Tours has a bus leaving Santiago about every hour, cost is $3 to Puerto Plata.

Juan de Uruguay: I found the website for Caribe Tours for the bus and yes, it's essentially $3 :D I don't have enough RD money on me. Do you know if they take American dollars?

It says to reserve but I'm concerned that I'll reserve and our flight will be delayed or will be stuck in immigration or who knows what else with flights these days. Do you know if we HAVE to reserve? My Spanish isn't good enough yet.

Thanks

Archived