Chapala.com Webboard

MONTE CRISTO

gringal

Location: next door to the Tuesday market Evento place on the West side.

A short review after today's lunch:

I had the complicated chicken breast dish ($120) and my spouse had the shrimp and fish brochette ($120). Both were very generous portions and well prepared. Pleasant service. Large outdoor patio under umbrellas. Nicely decorated in and outside.

Tiny complaint: The carrots were so raw that I could barely get a fork in them and had to cut them with the steak knife. That would be an easy fix.

Downside: That has to be the noisiest location on that stretch of highway, sadly. Not sure why, but it may be because the trucks going by don't slow down at all. No topes in that area.

We have been twice and were overrun with flies both times. Several of our friends have had the same complaint. Perhaps they could put screen doors on the front to at lest keep one area relatively fly free. I know this is the time for flies but this was unusually bad

Our group is not going there till they address the fly problem, so are going to arileos ina

stesd

I don't understand why they do not see the fly problem as a serious issue. My wife and I mentioned to the waitress about the flies and she replied " si, muchas moscas " in an off hand way. We have decided that IF we go back we will bring our own bottle of lime water and spray down the table. However, probably won't go back.

Our group is not going there till they address the fly problem, so are going to arileos ina

stesd

If you read the most recent posts about Arileo you will see that people have been complaining about flies there as well.

A group of us are planning lunch at Arileo today. I am going to bring my tennis racket shaped bug zapper with me, charged up and dangerous.

That is too funny!

You might start a trend. :)

We have been twice and were overrun with flies both times. Several of our friends have had the same complaint. Perhaps they could put screen doors on the front to at lest keep one area relatively fly free. I know this is the time for flies but this was unusually bad

We had the same problem--more flies than we have ever encountered in ANY other restaurant here. :-/ The traffic noise was also very bad, as someone else noted. Neither of us was taken by the food that we ordered. I had grouper, and the wife had a Caesar salad and shrimp rolls. And we both got the trots after eating there. :-/ Maybe b/c of the flies? Quién sabe?

Can't wait to go back. ;-)

We had the same problem--more flies than we have ever encountered in ANY other restaurant here. :-/ The traffic noise was also very bad, as someone else noted. Neither of us was taken by the food that we ordered. I had grouper, and the wife had a Caesar salad and shrimp rolls. And we both got the trots after eating there. :-/ Maybe b/c of the flies? Quién sabe?

Can't wait to go back. ;-)

So: took my bug zapper with me to Arileo for lunch today. Seated with a group of six near the front entry. The zapper was handy but there was nary a fly nearby. This follows the rule of taking an umbrella to ensure that it won't rain.

BTW: great meal, once again. Agree with Mike that the cheesecake is special!

Eco-mint, Eco-mint, Eco-mint -- buy it at SuperLake when they have it.

Took a bottle to Jason at Adelita's about a month ago and he was dubious at best, but it really works -- just spray onto tablecloth.

If you frequent Yves, you never see flies and that is why -- he has at least 5 bottles sitting on the windowsill that he has obviously already sprayed his tables down with it.

Made in Mexico and no harmful ingredients...such a deal at I think 69 pesos or something like that.

From the fly whisperer

My wife and I and two friends had dinner at Monte Cristo last night and it was about the best meal I have had lakeside other than Richard's.

I had the Chicken breast stuffed with cheese and spinich and covered with poblano sauce and it was excellent. My wife had the fettuccine lemon with shrimp and loved it. Our friends had the gruper with capers and the pasta monte cristo and both said their meals were very good. The service was very friendly and attentive and they even brought my wife a flan with a candle in it for her birthday. Prices were very fair and the decor is very nice. There was a good crowd there at 7:00PM. The flies that have been reported by others were not there during the dinner hour.

We ate there on a friday evening and next door at the Huerta was a big noisy party with a very loud band, so it necessitated us sitting outdoors on the patio so we could carry on a conversation. The coconut shrimp was about the best I have had in the Lakeside area. Large shrimp, cooked perfectly with a light coating so that the taste of the shrimp was not overpowered by a heavy coconut coating. The roasted vegies that came with it were delicious (carrots, zucchini squash). I will definitely return to maybe try another entree, but loved their shrimp so much, I will order that again likely.

I love Monte Cristo. Best food ever. Great service! Now the fly issue???? Never noticed it, the loud traffic and Evento's. Never noticed! Yes I've been there quite often. I guess I just concentrate on the positive. I love living here and know I need to focus within and not without. Of course its just my opinion. But some of the expats, drain me, they love to complain, and not see how blessed we are.

Archived