Chapala.com Webboard

Los Cinco Potrillos

dcstroker

I was reading the other thread about the problems that people were having at Roberto's on Easter and instead of getting off-topic on that thread I thought I should start a new thread.

Los Cinco Potrillos has always been one of my favorite restaurants and judging from past reviews in this forum it's a favorite of a lot of you also. A small group of us ate there on Easter and were practically the only people in the restaurant. The service and food was great as always, the prices are still hard to beat. So I'm curious as to why more people aren't eating there. I'd truly hate to see them close down.

I was reading the other thread about the problems that people were having at Roberto's on Easter and instead of getting off-topic on that thread I thought I should start a new thread.

Los Cinco Potrillos has always been one of my favorite restaurants and judging from past reviews in this forum it's a favorite of a lot of you also. A small group of us ate there on Easter and were practically the only people in the restaurant. The service and food was great as always, the prices are still hard to beat. So I'm curious as to why more people aren't eating there. I'd truly hate to see them close down.

Location??? There are so many good restaurants in Ajijic that some of us will not drive to Chapala, let alone Ixtlauhacan.

Location??? There are so many good restaurants in Ajijic that some of us will not drive to Chapala, let alone Ixtlauhacan.

In Ixtlahuacan, straight down main street, one block past church, left turn, then very next left.

For visitors it is a nice introduction to "real" Mexico after I pick them up from the airport. It's also handy if you are coming back from Guadalajara; rather than stopping in the city, you can get away from the traffic and relax before heading the rest of the way home. It is also a nice scenic break to drive over the mountain and go there.

Jaybear nailed it, but forgot to mention that the food is incomparable and cannot be matched in Ajijic or Chapala.

John, even under his new moniker, forgot to admit that he would not deign to eat Mexican Food.

Los Cinco Potrillos is definitely worth the drive; especially for their fork-tender arrachera steak. The also make the very best salsa casera that I have ever eaten. I find it difficult not to over indulge on it while waiting for the steak to be served. This is a family operation and, sadly Pancho is no longer with us. However, the food and service remain absolutely wonderful. They are open 8AM - 10PM, so if you go for breakfast, be sure to try their various breakfast burritos. I like the one with scrambled eggs and chorrizo.

I have eaten there a few times and have yet to see what causes the rave reviews. Anyone with whom I haved dined on any of those visits were equally puzzled.

I'm with you. I like it, it's a nice change but I thought it was a regular restaurant with regular food. Nothing special but nothing bad either.

Thanks for posting as I have been trying to remember the name of the restaurant for days. Bingo, this is it.

• 2 weeks later...

While you're at it, don't forget to walk over to the square and look at the fine murals there. Also, if the church is open, many more there.

Cinco Potrillos is open pretty much every day until fairly late. Go at the normal dinner hour, you won't have a problem.

While you're at it, don't forget to walk over to the square and look at the fine murals there. Also, if the church is open, many more there.

Cinco Potrillos is open pretty much every day until fairly late. Go at the normal dinner hour, you won't have a problem.

Thanks, let you know

Better call first. Their day to close used to be Tuesday. I found this on Focus on Mexico.

Los Cinco Potrillos Ramos Millan #30, (over the mountain toward Guadalajara)
Ixtlahuacan de los Membrillos
045-333-119-0735 Open every day except Tuesday; 11-7 Mexican

This could have changed & I hope the phone number is still valid.

Wellllllll... they are closed on Tuesday, as we found out when we got there. :huh:

:wacko: So we detoured to Cozumel (the restaurant not the resort) and had a really fine, fine meal, there were only six tables with people, 4 of them, gringo parties, and mucho margaritas! :rolleyes:

Yes, they are closed on Tuesdays. They have an ad in the Chapala Directory that gives their hours AND has a MAP to the place. We love their green chile burritos, the mixed grilled dish (Parillada) and their enchiladas. Also they make an outstanding shrimp a la diabla. (All shrimp are very large and well cleaned!) Very reasonable food & drink prices, generous portions and pleasant, spacious surroundings.

Also, as Mainecoons suggested, the church and presidencia murals are definitely worth seeing!!! Ajijic artist Javier Zaragoza, I believe, painted the church murals at AGE TWELVE! The townspeople still tell stories about it. I think Javier also did the murals on the front of the presidencia...tho many, many years later.

• 1 month later...

Ate there for lunch yesterday. Yes, it is not a fancy-shmacy restaurant , but the food was really, really good. I had the Chimichanga Camarones and my wife had the same, with chicken. The wrapper was nicely fried with the consistency of a Chinese Egg Roll, crisp and light. The fillings were filled with different tastes that teased the palate, cheeses, fish, spices, herbs...a real treat. AT $70, they were the most expensive of the "non-food platter" type food. The pre-meal fresh fried nacho chips was used up with the complimentary fresh salsa, again with many tastes and cilantro. The side of the chimi was a salad of avocado, egg, mayo (?) and again cilantro...it was very good also. Since we were basically the only ones in the place (it was 2:30 in the afternoon), the service was great, the lemonada was fresh and cold, made with crystal sugar not syrup.

Far from being ho-hum, it was a great new place to put on our "regular" list...and go with friends. :)

• 1 year later...

Ate there for lunch yesterday. Yes, it is not a fancy-shmacy restaurant , but the food was really, really good. I had the Chimichanga Camarones and my wife had the same, with chicken. The wrapper was nicely fried with the consistency of a Chinese Egg Roll, crisp and light. The fillings were filled with different tastes that teased the palate, cheeses, fish, spices, herbs...a real treat. AT $70, they were the most expensive of the "non-food platter" type food. The pre-meal fresh fried nacho chips was used up with the complimentary fresh salsa, again with many tastes and cilantro. The side of the chimi was a salad of avocado, egg, mayo (?) and again cilantro...it was very good also. Since we were basically the only ones in the place (it was 2:30 in the afternoon), the service was great, the lemonada was fresh and cold, made with crystal sugar not syrup.

Far from being ho-hum, it was a great new place to put on our "regular" list...and go with friends. :)

Has anyone been there lately? I haven't heard too much about them lately.

I finally found this place on Google Maps at Ramos Milán 30, but you can not enter that address and hope that Google Maps will take you there directly. You CAN enter "Ixtlahuacán de los Membrillos, Mexico Ramos Milán 23" and that will work. As you are heading southbound on Ramos Milán, it is located just before the cross street of Morelos. It's a green building in the current Google Maps, but that might have changed.

Closed Tuesday, 11 am - 7 pm other days

331-806-9439

v3f5av.jpg

Archived