Chapala.com Webboard

the best way through Aguas Calientes....

Constance

I know that this has been discussed before, but I cannot find a thread on this topic. We will be driving north next week, and are looking for the best way to make it through Aguas Calientes. We used to take the so-called by-pass via Ave. Siglo XXI, but this is really now just a regular city street with lots of traffic. Has anyone just followed hgwy. 45 through town? Would this be faster?

One time, coming back south, we tried to find the western by-pass, but got hopelessly lost, and in the end lost precious time....

Any help is appreciated.

We just did this route for the first time a couple of weeks ago traveling to Laredo via Zacatecas and Aguascalientes. Honestly, Aguas doesn't really have any type of true by-pass right now. It does have three so called urban circuits that travel around the city, with Ave. Siglo XXI being the outer most circuit. Following the signs going towards Zacatecas was pretty simple and well marked. It seemed to take awhile, possibly 30 mins or so before you finally leave the city while traveling this circuit or loop. Coming back seemed trickier, I expected to see signs for Guadalajara, nope.....nada. Come to find out I should have been following the Leon, Mexico City signs....silly me, what was I thinking? We got a close up hour or so tour of Aguascalientes before finding our way out. Besides having to travel around the edge of Aguascalientes, this route seemed very simple and trouble free. Aguas is the only city you even come near until you hit the Monterrey by-pass. Zacatecas can be viewed from a good distance away. Actually, we were anticipating some extreme curvy and mountainous roads traveling through the high mountain state of Zacatecas, but it turned out the roads were generally great resulting in mostly flat straight uninspiring high plateau terrain for much of the journey. The Joshua trees are cool at first but after the 5th hour they get a tad bit creepy appearing as creatures with heads and arms with large extended families of varying sizes all along the road. Enjoy your trip.

Archived