Chapala.com Webboard

NOISE PROBLEM AT PLAZA BUGAMBILIAS UPSTAIRS IN AJIJIC

ezpz

Well, it's almost 2a.m. and the off-key drunks are back and performing upstairs above the Cine. Last week they started up again - outside on a 3rd floor terrace. We neighbors already went through this torture last year, and we thought it was over after actions were taken about a year ago.

If you live in East Ajijic or La Floresta and hear late night "music", it's not coming from the soccer fields!

Harry B., didn't you say the limit was 11p.m. all nights of the week? We need more action, and I'll be seeing my neighbors tomorrow...

Muchisimas gracias!

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As was noted in a previous thread on this topic, this has become a general problem in this community. You're getting it from up there, we're getting it from down here, 5-6 nights per week. It's a Chinese water torture of bad gringo music down here.

Unfortunately, I doubt there's any chance of action until we get rid of the current promise everything do nothing regime in Chapala. I'd suggest we put together a group and take Chapala to court but we'd have to get in line behind all the others who have done so. :(

I saw them setting up the bar upstairs at Plaza Bugambilias on Tuesday afternoon. I, too, thought that was over. Last year they advertised these parties in the movie house, with images of hundreds of dancing bodies. I can't imagine the torture for you guys, because it is right out in the open. And during the week? No, no,no, no...

Guest bennie2

they pay for permits, thats how it works. there is too much $$ to be made to stop it. all about business. as for the speakers on cars & trucks? good op for city hall to make $$. they can issue tickets (or what ever). thats something i would suggest to them. everythings about the bottom line. the owners of torittos are the sons of the original owner man who is retired.

Update. The weekend was madly inconsistent regarding the type of entertainment and the volume level.

I had gone up there last Monday evening and had a chat with a very nice young Mexican man who was sort of hanging around with a couple other guys who appeared to be there just to take comments from neighbors??? They were not doing any business at the time and later the volume was down. Fine. He listened nicely and appeared to agree with me on the salient points I made, given that I have professional amplified music experience. He also was very surprised when I told him that my neighbor in the next block could hear everything! Well, duh! That's what happens when you turn the volume too loud!

People who do not understand that basic law of acoustics should not be operating ampllfication systems!

He also said they were trying to turn that big inner room into a club again, and that it would be adequately soundproofed - ojala!!!!! I once told the owner that could work if they put around 3 feet or 1 meter of foam on all the walls and ceiling and left the gym matting on the floor. I understand that nowadays there are better sound proofing materials available - but can they get that here??? Plus, they would need air conditioning - but the cine already has that.

Thursday featured a not-too-bad Mexican crooner but the whole thing gradually sank into a totally drunken borrachera before the night was over. Thankfully, they are now using somewhat smaller speakers. I know this is a Mexican tradition, but in the old days there were no amps or mikes!!! I did call the police late and it took them forever to answer - not good! I realize they have bigger fish to fry.

Friday they had a decent cumbia group that played for a while, but later, somebody's USB music went on until quite late.

Saturday night, after a few hours of USB music in the afternoon, it sounded like The Crooner was back, doing decent imitations of Alejandro Fernandez, which wasn't half bad - I'm a big fan of AF, who is also known for being the extremely handsome heartthrob of the Spanish speaking world. A lot of screaming senoritas were in attendance, and it really sank into a totally loud drunken almost riot, with mostly girls screaming and singing in the streets(?) even after the music stopped around 2a.m. Then, the car stereos started up as these young drunks gradually drove away. Think about that!

One neighbor suggested that these events might have been private parties, so it is still very hard to tell what direction this whole thing is headed. BTW, my one neighbor wants this noise issue to be an election matter.

I discussed this general matter with my young-ish Dr. from Guadalajara who has the same problem where he lives, only worse! He did reiterate what a stress it is to live near this type of situation. The loss of sleep plus the pounding, never-ending bass and bass drum beat cause stress symptoms such as heart palpitations - as he has experienced himself. He also reminded me, as I already knew, that loud continuous noisy "music" has been used as an instrument of torture by the US military in both Iraq and Guantanamo Bay.

Have a great day!

Let me venture to say that, especially at that time of night, the police do not have bigger fish to fry. However, getting them to fry any size at all can be an issue.

LOL!

Gosh and here we thought the "restaurant" across the street from us that specializes in loud music 6 nights per week (to heck with the bad food, selling overpriced beer and wine to tipsy half deaf dancing gringos is much more profitable) was an entertainment venue. We didn't realize their actual line of work might be torturing the neighborhood.

That explains a lot!

:D

This last January I was at our home in Joco for the first time during the celebrations of the Patron Saint of Joco. Usually I'm NOB until Feb.

It was non-stop, 24 hour noise! One night we were blasted out of bed at 3:00am by a complete "banda" assembled outside our bedroom window playing for the neighbors. I still can't believe my heart withstood that terrible shock of being ripped out of deep sleep by the screeching sound of banda music which I can barely stand wide awake! I had to remind myself that I am a guest in this country and this is one of the cultural attributes I agreed to "tolerate" when I decided to make this my home. My instinct was to start firing out the window in retaliation though! Oh how "Gringo" mentality dies so hard! I have to remind myself that this is also reflective of one of Mexico's most attractive attributes. The degree of personal freedom that still exists in this country and that we've lost long ago NOB, noise be damned! If your neighbor wants to scream and holler, he has that right in this country. If that bothers you, that's your problem to work out. I imagine the locals are so used to it that they don't let it bother them. What a wonderful example of respecting personal boundaries. Your rights of expression will not be negated because someone else doesn't like it. This FREEDOM is one of the reasons I moved here so I have to put up with the inconvenient aspects of it, go home or move to the woods. Period. Leave your NOB attitudes, expectations, etc. NOB.

Personally, I will deal with it by making sure I stay NOB or elsewhere or heavily self-medicated during the month of January from now on! Don't think I could handle barely getting any sleep for an entire month again. I do not have the right to expect or demand the culture to change around ME to suit ME. That sort of arrogance to the contrary seems to be so typical of us though. Another opportunity for humility.

That's all well and good but can you explain why MEXICANS demanded and PASSED noise control laws and MEXICANS are having them enforced in their neighborhoods. Perhaps your view of "freedom of expression" is not shared by MEXICANS.

We must have a bunch of MEXICANS running around with NOB attitudes. Yeah, that must be it.

That's an entertaining story and post Pedro but we're not talking about celebrations or parties, we're talking about businesses that make loud noise around them day in and day out, week in and week out. Everyone I know including us grins and bears it and get out the ear plugs during the loud holiday celebrations.

For example, we have the Fiesta of San Andreas which goes for like 10 days. We know that some folks go to the beach that week and we have been known to do so but we also usually stay for the festivities. And the noise.

I'm curious as to who is hanging out at Plaza Bugambillas at two in the morning weekdays. Are these really people who have to get up the next morning and go to work?

Also, could you explain to us what MEXICAN culture is being expressed by bad gringo music played mainly by and for gringos for profit regardless of the reasonable expectation of neighbors in a residential area not to be serenaded six nights per week in their living rooms?

Do you suppose that GREED and LACK OF CONSIDERATION FOR OTHERS may have something to do with it?

We'll wait. :)

Banda in Jocotopec, NoB music in Ajijic. Apples and Oranges.....both noisy, though, and I don‘t like either.

This is Jalisco. Bring on the mariachi.....venga la musica.

This morning at 3am A car parked on my street with their music blaring so loud it woke everybody up, fortunately one my neighbors went out and hallered at it...

I had a Mexican neighbor who went out one night to ask for understanding that his seriously ill wife could not rest for the noise, and he was told "walk away now, amigo, while you still can". He walked away quickly.

I laugh at those that complain about the noise. I have asked many a Mexican blaring music as to why. They all say the same thing: I play it loud because I have the equipment and I can. Many have reminded me that the highways go north too.

I agree with the Mexicans in that, if it bothers you, you made a poor choice in living places.

Must not have been those Mexicans who should go NOB too but instead they passed those noise laws. I guess they just aren't "good" Mexicans who "respect" their own alleged culture.

cbviajero take note. When your Mexican neighbors got together and got their local noise nuisance club quieted down they were just acting like a bunch of NOBers.

Nice neighbors you got there guy. But hey, maybe living with inconsiderate neighbors floats your boat.

LOL

cbviajero take note. When your Mexican neighbors got together and got their local noise nuisance club quieted down they were just acting like a bunch of NOBers.

They were fed up and reacted,banda music til 3 in morning during the week was a little too much,even for Mexicans,who on the whole seem to be more noise tolerant than NOBers.

The neighbors in our colonia are pretty good about organizing and involving themselves for the good of the community.

Hmm, how to say this respectfully? - Mexicans are not "Mexicans" everywhere they go or live, some are, shall we say, "domesticated" to be more like gringos expect things to be. I spent 7 years learning to deal with the noise while down there. Now, I live happily between two Mexicans here in TX and I've yet to hear any music, loud or otherwise. They don't have barking dogs, they don't party all night (or if they do I've never heard them in 9 months) - so, it's a cultural thing that is not inherent in their heritage, it's more "localized" in MX. In fact, one of my neighbors has mentioned that in years past he has shut down local music that disturbed his sleep in another area and he used to own a club in Baja, so he's no "virgin". Last night my neighbor to the N had fireworks, nice, pretty, but NOT cohetes, and NOT at midnight.

In any case, we are not discussing occasional noise from neighbors here. We are discussing businesses that continually and repeatedly abuse the community with amplified noise for hours on end, in our case 7 days per week currently.

I sincerely doubt any of you have neighbors who behave like this, even they would get tired after a while. We have Mexican neighbors on one side that get a bit loud a few times per year. The rest don't at all.

As far as I can tell from our own experiences and that of our friends, most Mexicans do not make a lot of noise more than occasionally. Indeed, our Mexican friends would probably be insulted by the stereotyping of Mexicans going on here by some of you who seem driven to try and rationalize what is basically antisocial behavior and simple inconsideration and greed by a few businesses and some Mexicans.

It is to deal with this that Mexicans passed noise control laws. Unfortunately, we are stuck with a municipal government that doesn't do its job pretty much across the board including dealing with this.

Some of the posts here remind me of people who stereotype every American as being Ugly Americans. That's no more true than claiming that constant noise is part of the Mexican culture.

Good discussion! However, I really need to clarify, as MC has said, there is a huge difference between adjusting to the perfectly accepted, cheerful, long-standing traditions of fiestas, bandas, and cohetes, and dealing with a Noise For Profit bar near your house.

Personally, I love bandas, cohetes, fiestas, and processions. I've been to nearly all of them since I came here several years ago and have also been published writing about them, mostly on ajijicnews.com. and having my own former web page with 12,000 fotos of the area on webshots.com, which was disbanded over 2 years ago.

The difference is that the traditions are sporadic and fleeting - so if you don't like them, you can take comfort in knowing that soon they, too, shall pass. And, they are the majority culture and most of the people love them, or at least, are completely used to the cheerful sounds they generate.

However, having a commercial establishment featuring loud "entertainment" is an entirely different story! Imagine having a loudspeaker truck outside your house for hours ever night, several days a week - ALL YEAR LONG!! That is worth complaining about. And it is illegal according to the "new" federal decibel law that Mexicans passed. It basically states that people have the right to a "pleasing ambience" in their own homes.

The neighbors that I mentioned are all Mexicans. I speak Spanish (high intermediate) and walk everywhere, so I connect with a good number of people in the village. I'm VERY sympathetic to the local culture and aware that many people here feel overtaken by a loud and sometimes rude foreign culture whose rock'n'roll noise is actually superceding their own loved traditions in terms of decibel/hours of noise.

The loud music being played in all the Noise For Profit bars here is derived from the USA, whether it is in Spanish or not. We are talking rock, techno, and rap - all of which I never dreamed I would be forced against my will to hear here. These styles of "music" do grate on the nerves of the local people as well, and that is why those in my area are against it. Actually, the bandas are the most professional and polished of the festive music groups here.

There is also the very obvious lack of experience or professionalism in nearly everyone who runs the sound systems as well as selecting the "entertainment" - that alone is enough to make you scream! I would be glad to offer some pointers to them, as I seem to be the only one around here outside the banda realm with actual experience in these matters.

Basically, Mexico has imported a toxin - loud music - from the USA - without importing the antidote - which would be mandatory soundproofing. Without an antidote, what does a toxin do to you?

Personally, I love bandas, cohetes, fiestas, and processions. I've been to nearly all of them since I came here several years ago and have also been published writing about them, mostly on ajijicnews.com. and having my own former web page with 12,000 fotos of the area on webshots.com, which was disbanded over 2 years ago.

I can attest to the quality of your photo albums and video clips you have posted here. More than once I've shamelessly copied the links and passed them on to folks NOB. I hope you'll continue to share them with us.

We don't attend the functions as often as you do but I enjoy going to the Plaza to hear some of the music and we try to catch many of the parades/processions. That is Mexico and we enjoy it and understand it can get quite loud at times.

Bad gringo music night after night from some dive isn't Mexico.

Once again the proper procedure is:

The neighbors put together a complaint with as many signatures as possible. Note this is the second complaint against the same offender.

Submit to Official Mayor de Padron y Licencias in Chapala. It was C. Luis Ernesto Lopez Amavizca. Get a stamped copy back as proof of submission

(All events need a licence .Basic time limit is four hours or 11 p.m.. A one time permit can be had for 12 p.m. Only historical events by municipalities can go beyond this, i.e. village saints festivals)

Submit copies of the complaint to the mayors office and the chief of police. Again, get stamped copies as proof of submission.

Archived