Chapala.com Webboard

INTERESTING EXCLUSION OF DOGS.

POLICY AT LCS OPEN CIRCLE, WAS CHANGED TO ACCOMMODATE THOSE WITH DOG ANXIETY.

I get it. Truly I do.

Furthermore, I consider it a bonus when an establishment permits dogs to enter. Mexico has had many of those bonus points.

Like others enjoy meeting people over happy hour drinks, my pref is for meeting over Happy Dogs to link ;) . I've met delightful people over the months that either they or I had our dog by our side. It's a wonderful thumbs up that we are like minded souls.

That said, there is one policy, on ONE date, that has me a bit mystified.

FYI: Yes I discussed this in full with the people in charge, to give them the opportunity to reflect, to no avail.

Many of you may find this interesting.

Subject: Open Circle Held 10:00 every Sunday

Event: The Canine Connection, August 30th.

Policy changed from permitting dogs to read as follows:

A reminder from the Open Circle Steering Committee: With the exception of Service Dogs, we are asking attendees to leave family pets at home.

When I asked if they would return to their old policy permitting dogs at this one event "The Canine Connection" the response was as follows:

Open Circle <opencircleideas@gmail.com> responded with the following:

"I shared your letter with the Open Circle Steering Committee. They stood firm on their original decision, which was based not on the occasional bad behavior of a few dogs, but rather on there being audience members who have serious anxiety in the presence of dogs. This in no way reflects on you or others who have well behaved dogs.

It may interest you to know that our program on August 30 will be "The Canine Connection" in which the speaker will talk about the special connection we have with our dogs."

That aside: Why inflict this policy on the one Open Circle, Canine Connection event?!

I gather those with anxiety when around dogs, cannot wait for this Open Circle event. Frankly, I don't agree with this policy, but can sympathize with someone who has anxiety around dogs. It must be very difficult living in Mexico, having discovered this is PerroVille.

You may PM me, or comment here. Gracias mis Perro Amigos!

PS I do realize debate is unavoidable. However, the purpose of this post was to inform those who might feel this is interesting, as there were some who enjoyed the few (maybe 3 dogs tops) in attendance at such Open Circle.

1)There are people whose anxiety is based on having been badly bitten. I know at least three. One of them is still having physical therapy for her injuries which include a broken back bone.

2) There are people who are allergic to dogs and cats. Do you wish to inflict misery on them?

3) Dogs in general have fleas. Fleas bite. Any dog with a social life gets fleas. Some people have some real misery from flea bites.

4) What's the problem with leaving pets at home when you attend Open Circle, go to a restaurant or any other crowded venue? If it bothers other people for ANY reason, common courtesy dictates consideration for them. They want to attend Open Circle. You don't need your perros amigos there.

This is from a person who has enjoyed "owning" dogs and cats most of her life. Said dogs were always leashed in public and never taken to restaurants or other crowded public venues. People first.

I get all that gringal. The point being made is in regards to Open Circle's "The Canine Connection", and no other venue. Policy change, was in regard to anxiety only. One event (not all Open Circles), no other issues or places involved.

1)There are people whose anxiety is based on having been badly bitten. I know at least three. One of them is still having physical therapy for her injuries which include a broken back bone.

2) There are people who are allergic to dogs and cats. Do you wish to inflict misery on them?

3) Dogs in general have fleas. Fleas bite. Any dog with a social life gets fleas. Some people have some real misery from flea bites.

4) What's the problem with leaving pets at home when you attend Open Circle, go to a restaurant or any other crowded venue? If it bothers other people for ANY reason, common courtesy dictates consideration for them. They want to attend Open Circle. You don't need your perros amigos there.

This is from a person who has enjoyed "owning" dogs and cats most of her life. Said dogs were always leashed in public and never taken to restaurants or other crowded public venues. People first.

I agree with the LCS policy. I find dogs at Open Circle distracting. I don't think including dogs for the one meeting where the topic concerning relationships with one's dog would be beneficial. I think having possibly many dogs there would be disruptive. For a well behaved dog, why can't they stay at home for two hours on Sunday morning? Socialize them somewhwere else.

I agree with the LCS policy. I find dogs at Open Circle distracting. I don't think including dogs for the one meeting where the topic concerning relationships with one's dog would be beneficial. I think having possibly many dogs there would be disruptive. For a well behaved dog, why can't they stay at home for two hours on Sunday morning? Socialize them somewhwere else.

Thank you for the comment and I agree (religiously) that the pup can stay home on Sunday morning. I haven't been inside a regular church for awhile, but I doubt the perros amigos are allowed to attend the services there, either. :unsure:

The reason for the policy change was not due to disruptive behavior by dogs (as the response from LCS confirmed).

FYI: Prior to policy change there were never more than three well behaved dogs attending an open circle.

Nor am I speaking about other locations around town or any other event other than The Canine Connection.

I am simply posting to inform others. To debate if dogs should go to religious functions (dogs are spiritual without the building lol) and other events, are indeed topics which differ from the one I posted.

Wags & take care

"Open Circle <opencircleideas@gmail.com> responded with the following:

"I shared your letter with the Open Circle Steering Committee. They stood firm on their original decision, which was based not on the occasional bad behavior of a few dogs, but rather on there being audience members who have serious anxiety in the presence of dogs. This in no way reflects on you or others who have well behaved dogs. "

LCS provides the facility for Open Circle, and the new policy was their decision. Their explanation was clear.

You've had an opportunity to discuss it with them. They didn't change their minds. Sounds like "end of issue". Why not just let it rest?

Imagine what Open Circle meetings would be like if every attendee brought a pet. I can. lol. :o

Happy wagging.

I am simply informing.

Why? Imagine what the world would like, if policies were never questioned, and the public left uninformed.

We need not imagine. We citizens of nearly every country are treated like mushrooms and kept in the dark. But that's an entirely 'nother subject.

The reason for the policy change was not due to disruptive behavior by dogs (as the response from LCS confirmed).

FYI: Prior to policy change there were never more than three well behaved dogs attending an open circle.

There may have been 3 well behaved dogs but I can assure you there were plenty of not so well behaved dogs as well. More than once I have been totally distracted by a dog on the end of a leash stretched across the aisle waiting for someone to trip over the leash or distracted by a growling dog or a dog wandering along the row or...

Sounds to me like a new long-term policy.

ADD: I checked old announcements and the policy started with last week's speaker

It's not clear to me why dogs are banned and the feral cats are allowed to wander LCS. I'm allergic to cats, but not to dogs. But that doesn't seem to be an important issue with LCS. I have to agree with the original poster that it is odd that they would not make ONE exception to allow dogs on the one occasion when the discussion involves a subject that would not draw people who have anxiety issues with dogs. If they meet in a remote location, it should bother the other LCS members/visitors.

The description of this week's talk sent out by Open Circle said in part: "If you are a dog lover or if you just wonder what makes your dog-loving friends so crazy about their pets (and vice versa), you’ll enjoy this look into the species dubbed our “best friends.”

It is not a foregone conclusion that people made anxious by dogs will not attend.

It's not clear to me why dogs are banned and the feral cats are allowed to wander LCS. I'm allergic to cats, but not to dogs. But that doesn't seem to be an important issue with LCS. I have to agree with the original poster that it is odd that they would not make ONE exception to allow dogs on the one occasion when the discussion involves a subject that would not draw people who have anxiety issues with dogs. If they meet in a remote location, it should bother the other LCS members/visitors.

I agree with you 100%. Its so ridiculous how some here can get so nuts over dogs going to a meeting relating to dogs. I would think that people who do not care about the subjiect would not attend. It is only one meeting, not every Sunday. If you are not interested, then don't go. If you are afraid of an all out flea attack, then stay home.

Open Circle is for people, not dogs. If people are offended by their dogs being excluded, they can stay home.

I have a dog and love her. I will be attending Sunday's talk. She will stay home. Neither she nor I are offended.

Open Circle is for people, not dogs. If people are offended by their dogs being excluded, they can stay home.

I have a dog and love her. I will be attending Sunday's talk. She will stay home. Neither she nor I are offended.

Always nice to hear a voice of reason.

It used to be that "problem topics" were politics and religion. Around here, add "dogs". Maybe it's something in the air. ^_^

Just to comment on the idea that people who are not interested in the topic "dogs" will not attend.....my husband & I are happy to sleep-in when a topic is not of interest. However, I know of four people who attend every Sunday and have said that some topics are more interesting than others, but they ALWAYS attend. Just saying...

The feral cats earn their keep keeping the local rodents under control even though they are likely to have a few fleas.

I was not aware that the Steering Committee was renting that space on Sunday,

from LCS.

I've seen dog w/owners/and brought mine along, on LCS grounds.

Thanks for clarifying that.

Much appreciated.

Note that the above comment about LCS and Open Circle is misleading.

LCS provides space for Open Circle for a fee. The decision to not allow

dogs during Open Circle was a decision of the board for Open Circle.

Archived