Chapala.com Webboard

serial expat

Drew

Hi

I currently live in Costa Rica and have also lived in Panama.I visited Ajijic last May and like everyone else fell in love with it.My question is it possible to live in Ajijic and check out every 6 months for a new tourist visa and check back in indefinatly?I have been doing that here in Costa Rica for 13 years with no problem.I have heard recently that a few people have had problems doing that in Mexico.I would like others opinions.I sure would like to try out the Lake Chapala area with out commiting to residency for at least a year or so.Any answers would really be appreciated.

Thanks Drew

Sure, you can. However, there have been those rare cases of denial, as you know. They are probably due to any number of factors, like quck turn-around, poor attitude, undesirable appearance, being drunk, etc.

Best to get legal and get temporary residency so you can have a driver license, apply for the national health plan and not worry about being barred from entry to your home if they do start allowing people to only be here 180 days a year. Also that would place you on the road to citizenship 5 years later.

Archived