Chapala.com Webboard

Yellow and black bird

Joyfull... Orioles. They come to our hummingbird feeders occasionally and make quite a racket! They don't like the new feeders we got, however, and come around much less frequently now.

Heather

We used to get frustrated with Orioles at the hummingbird feeders because they would drink a lot, then fly off and twirl the feeder, which threw out sugar water all over the feeder and floor. That drew lots of ants and bees. Love to have them around... will have to look at the chick feeder idea. If you want a hummingbird feeder that the Orioles can't get into and splash water from, check the Hummzinger feeders. They are easy to fill and clean, and have upright holes that Orioles and bees can't get into. Several different models. Here's a link to one of them on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Aspects-367-Hummzinger-Hummingbird-12-Ounce/dp/B000CSH7VA

I haven't found any of them around Lakeside, so we bring them back whenever we got for a visit to the US. Good luck!

Heather

Heather

I justed checked, and Hummzingers can be now shipped by Amazon to Mexico!!! Great news! If you are feeding hummers, please consider a Hummzinger. THey are easier to keep clean so no deadly black mold that you can't see and hummers love them.

Thanks, MtnMama! One less thing I have to bring back in my luggage when I visit the US.

Now, if I can just find an easy way to get the little suckers out of my skylight or cupola when they get inside the house... :blink:

Heather

When we lived in the Colorado mountains we had a hummingbird fly in the house and I used a feeder held as high as I could to lure him out. I stood near the open door and when he came to the feeder, I shooed him out the door.

We do that here as well. Occasionally it will work, but most times they keep trying to get out the cupola window or through the skylight. Their instinct is to fly upward. Sometimes they will get tired and thirsty enough to come to the feeder, at which time I carry it toward an open door or window. If that doesn't work, we have to wait until they're so tired from flying against the glass that they eventually fall to the floor. When that happens, I hold them and feed drops of sugar water from my finger held in front of their beak. If they're strong enough to drink that, I can usually revive them after some time and they'll fly away, but it can take over 1/2 hour of persistence! We lose them sometimes when they just beat themselves up too badly, but I'd say we have about 80% success rate on saving them (must have had 30+ in the house since we moved here). It's quite the challenge!

Heather

Archived