Chapala.com Webboard

Police versus Citizen Rights

Zeb

Only with arrest / search warrant or crime in process or in hot pursuit.

Well my article didnt really talk about police except when they accompany court officials, my article spoke of when civil court people could forceably enter your home. The OP I think was speaking in a purely criminal sense.

Well my article didnt really talk about police except when they accompany court officials, my article spoke of when civil court people could forceably enter your home. The OP I think was speaking in a purely criminal sense.

I'm not sure what you mean by a purely criminal sense. I was just asking it in a general sense of what they are allowed to do, such as just showing up at your door for whatever reason. I noticed when we were in Ajijic, we could smell Cannabis being smoked (which I don't care what people do in their own place), so I wondered if they could just knock on the door to see what's in your house.

Guest bennie2

hookem, so true. but from what i read "the rule of law" is kind of grey in the US these days. best to keep a low profile here, there & everywhere. (especially here)

Guest bennie2

from my location/ experiences, generalizations go a long way. there is no law against that (in mexico that is). "generally" is my middlename. regards, bennieG.

Guest bennie2

slainte, "generally" in my book means: there is much corruption. best to expect the worst. then be happy if it works out to your advantage. better to celebrate than be dissapointed. my rank is near 5 stars, since you asked. now lets not get personal. its IMO for me. case closed. (edited, typo error)

The rule of law has absolutely nothing to do with the circumstances by which police may enter a home. The rule of law applies to government being run by law not individuals. Sr. Spencer's answer was absolutely correct! OP's question asked and answered!

Rule of law: all citizens, and the State, shall submit to, obey, and be regulated by law and not arbitrary action by an individual or groups. Does not exist in Mexico. Ask the Mexican President, if you disagree.

I'm not sure what you mean by a purely criminal sense. I was just asking it in a general sense of what they are allowed to do, such as just showing up at your door for whatever reason. I noticed when we were in Ajijic, we could smell Cannabis being smoked (which I don't care what people do in their own place), so I wondered if they could just knock on the door to see what's in your house.

Small amounts of Marijuana are legal down here. Not sure just how much but I read that the law had changed as of several years ago.

New separate topic please JRM30655! And were you really born on March 6, 1955? And if so, what are you doing here fraternizing here with us decrepit oldsters?

I have a feeling the OP just asked a reasonable question and why is none of my business.

I did ask it as a generic question. As I am familiar with how it is "supposed" to work in the US, but completely unfamiliar with this type of situation in Mexico. In the US, the police are disregarding the rule of law. They bust down doors, destroy people's belongings. They say they have probably cause even when they don't. They just make a situation to get into your house. I personally have not had this happen to me, however, someone I know well, has. They stop your car and ask question that are none of their business and beat up and shoot people. That's just the tip of the iceberg of what's happening here.

Since we will be moving to Chapala area very soon, and I know Mexico has its corruption problems as well, I thought it was a good question to ask and good information to have. I'd like to hope that we retain a level of privacy there that is lacking here. You don't have to be doing anything criminal to have a right to maintain privacy, but that is now gone in the US.

So...in conclusion I want to be better informed about the country in which I plan to live.

Just a comment, Zeb, on your statement above. We have been coming to Mexico since 1999 about 6 months a year, and we have found that the police NOB are much more dependable and trustworthy and honest than those we encounter here. Every place has exceptions. If you want to know about the police, your best bet is to ask the Mexicans, who really know what is going on here; not people like us who live in our own little world here.

Makes me wonder when you mention one example NOB and generalize for the whole country that the police are disregarding "the rule of law". That dog won't hunt here. We, and no one in our families NOB, nor any of our friends NOB, are aware of anything like what you state. And, you even admit that has never happened to you. I think it is good that you have decided to move to Mexico and welcome. You will find a better fit here, since you seem to be familiar with no "rule of law" being enforced. :D

Police both NOB and in Mexico have different standards for different suspects. If you're gay, you're liable for special abuse both NOB and SOB, like being hauled out of bed at 4:00 AM in your own home. If you're white and appear middle class or above, you and your friends likely have never been harassed by the police, nor singled-out. Hang out with Blacks or Native Americans, and based on personal experiences, we can see first-hand how they are treated very differently by the police, whether we're in Maryland, California, New York, Colorado, Texas, S. Dakota, Wyoming, Nebraska, Illinois, Georgia, and Florida., so the problems seem to be pretty much nationwide. In our experience, Mexican police (esp. Federales) treat native people much worse than they treat white gringos.

I don't personally have the answer to the OP's question, but I'd certainly trust Spencer's response in Reply #3. I knew it wouldn't take long for this topic to devolve into a diatribe against Mexican police. I am not doubting that some people have had some bad experiences. However, in the 5 years this gringa has lived here, I have NEVER been treated with anything but politeness and respect by any of the varieties of police. This includes the 4 years I drove a US plated car. I have never been pulled over for no reason, I have never been forced to pay mordida. I have been stopped at road blocks, politely answered the questions, then sent on my way. I was in a car with a friend driving when she was rear ended. The transitos were polite, respectful, and professional. The biggest hurdle for me is my lack of good Spanish, but I manage to get by. On one occasion quite a few years ago, we were burgled and called the police. They arrived promptly and were very polite and thorough. I have heard all the horror stories, but have never been subjected to it myself. Of course, today is a new day...

Archived