Chapala.com Webboard

Getting Jalisco Plates

We help many people get plates. You must go to Guadalajara early in the morning, with us it can be done in the morning and you and your car will be back by around 1pm.

This is my first post. I’ve lived here for a long time but didn’t know about this forum. What brought me here is my 2003 J-car with a US license that expired in 2004. Since I’ve never left Mexico, I never renewed that little sticker that used to be on my windshield, before the windshield broke and I had to replace it.

After reading through your posts, I’m almost sorry I came here. According to everyone here, there’s not much I can do to get those Mexico plates. Since it doesn’t appear there’s anything I can do, I’m going to revert back to, “what you do when you don’t know what to do”. Answer: Put absolute confidence in peoples incompetence. No joke, there seems to be no other choice here and this has nothing to do with the Mexican population, it works anywhere in the world.

So now I’m driving my US (expired) plated car with my permanent residence card, but I’ll be driving without possession of my permanent residence card. If stopped, I’m Residente, applying for my new card and immigration has my old card. I’ve been stopped many times over the years and only one officer questioned my lack of window sticker. I have the paperwork from 2004 and they seem to think it’s ok as long as I’m current on Immigration.

I don’t know the full cost of importing the vehicle. I’ve heard 35,000 pesos, plus gas and toll roads to the border, maybe a driver. Add all that up and it’s more than the car is worth. My only plan is to drive it as long as possible, only in the Chapala area. Hopefully it never gets confiscated, but if it does, I think I can buy another for about what I’d be throwing away on this one.

One more thing, always have a back-up plan. I picked up a used briefcase at one of the second hand stores for 20 pesos. I keep it in the back of my car filled with donuts (get the Oxxo donuts, they stay fresh for 8 to 10 months). If everything else fails, I’ll try bribing the officer. Note to Moderator: This is not advice.

One more thing, always have a back-up plan. I picked up a used briefcase at one of the second hand stores for 20 pesos. I keep it in the back of my car filled with donuts (get the Oxxo donuts, they stay fresh for 8 to 10 months). If everything else fails, I’ll try bribing the officer. Note to Moderator: This is not advice.

Yep,that sounds like a real good back up plan....

Snafu, glad you decided to post! Welcome. I hope this will not be your last post.

Believe me, you are not the only one in your situation (or one similar) who has made the same decision. I think if a secret handshake was developed you would find you have a lot of company. I was in a group of six discussing a possible road trip. Discovered only two of the six people had a car currently legal because A) the car is a J car and can not be nationalized, B) is not worth as much as nationalizing would cost, C) wouldn´t make a drive to the border and/or D) the owner just doesn´t have the thousands of dollars needed to essentially buy his own car. All would nationalize if they could, but the way it is set up, it is impossible for them to comply. Like you, they are driving the car they have for as long as they can.

Note: sorry. Just discovered that a capital B followed by ) makes that emoticon!

My concern would be valid insurance. If the car is in Mexico illegally because the owner/importer is now Residente Permanente, the insurance is invalid too. Of course, the car is subject to confiscation as contraband.

Do I worry too much? In any case, I would not want to test it.

Archived