Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican plated US imported car to US?

lakeheron

If it helps. I have a Canadian car that was imported into Canada from the US where it was originally registered and I know it can be taken back to the US for registration with no problems.

CARFAX would show if registered in the US.

After researching the topic for a few minutes I have discovered that the car was manufactured in Japan but imported from the US. I have no papers showing the car was in the US. Furthermore, it is possible to register what is termed a "US version vehicle. " Somewhere there is a list of these cars. If the car does get imported it needs to pass inspections, etc. Does sound like a hassle.

I've read on several sites that once your U.S. vehicle is nationalized in Mexico, it cannot be re-nationalized in the U.S. Maybe Rolly has something about it on his site and if not, he would know the answer.

http://rollybrook.co...20Directory.htm

I didn't find anything on that site but here is a site with lots of info:

http://foreignborn.com/visas_imm/entering_us/7importingyourcar.htm#help

With this info in hand, I'm sure we would sell the car in Mexico and go back in our US plated truck, not attempting to take the Mexican-plated SUV with us. It's both difficult and costly from what I am reading.

If your car was originally a US car then it already is DOT and EPA approved and would be ok back in the US. The problem is with Mexican cars that are not DOT and EPA approved and would cost $1500-2000 to bring them into compliance.

I tried to register MX plated car (1993 Suburban). Could not do it as it was an 'export only' model. No computer and other pollution stuff. Had to go to Auto Theft people as stolen cars do end up back NOB. They ran VIN and told me immediately.

As Tom says the key is if registered at one time in the US. The OP seems shy of facts so would only be a guess if it was. If it was, based on my own experience with a Canadian car that was registered originally in FL, there is no issue with it being registered again in the US as confirmed by dealers happy to take it as a trade-in. CarFax may show it registered in US.

Archived