Chapala.com Webboard

Massage

leen

Hola! I am a massage therapist - looking at moving to the Lake Chapala area... does anyone know if it is allowable to practice therapeutic massage in one's home, and if there would be a market for it among, probably, the expat communities?

Many thanks!

You cannot legally work in Mexico with just a tourist visa. Also, the cost of massage here is a lot less than the U.S. Anywhere from about a low of 150 peso to 500 pesos for a full hour (not 50 minutes). You should talk to the Mexican Consulate nearest you for the best and most correct information on being able to legally work here.

Hola! I am a massage therapist - looking at moving to the Lake Chapala area... does anyone know if it is allowable to practice therapeutic massage in one's home, and if there would be a market for it among, probably, the expat communities?

Many thanks!

The advice above is important. It is unlikely that you could make a living. There are a lot of local Mexican sources for massage and getting a visa for that purpose is doubtful, as Mexico discourages any activity that would detract from opportunities for citizens.

A residence visa requires that you prove income from your home country; substantial income. Then, you must have permission from immigration authorities to work at a specific job. The only easy way is to be employed by a company already registered with INM and have their support in applying for the visa, which must be done in your home country before you go to Mexico to work.

• 1 year later...

you can get a massage for 200 to 300 pesos here at lakeside

that equal to about US $14 dollars to $21 dollars, i have not seen and gringos successfully have a big massage business here at lakeside.

i met a few gringos who do massage, but have very few clients, massage more as a hobby than a career.

I heard of a one person doing massage in chapala for $120 pesos never been to them. Thats about $8 US.

by the time you file your mexican taxes, and paperwork. it will not be going business for a gringo.

plus any time you are self employed and make over $400 US you have to file US taxes and pay social security tax.

Archived