Chapala.com Webboard

Your opinion, please on the new Richards restaurant

twelveoaks

My wife and I along with many friends were frequent diners at the original Richard's restaurant. Since the reopening I have heard nearly nothing about this restaurant. If you were diners at the old Richard's I would appreciate your comparison of old versus new as far as quality of food and service as well as menu selection and prices.

Thanks

No news is good news, they say, and all we have heard is very good news.

Make a reservation and you will know for sure. We only wish we could do that ourselves, but we aren‘t there any more.

We have been there twice since it has been under the new management and we enjoyed it very much. The food was very good and so was the service.

Friends of mine went to the special Christmas dinner and they told me it was served family-style and was very good. If you liked him before I think you will like them now also.

I appreciate the kind words of those who responded to this thread.

To the original poster, we do this because we want to, not because we have to. I assure you we are the harshest critics we have. We strive to serve good food in a nice setting with a pleasant ambiance. Most of our customers are repeat customers. Many of them coming twice a week.

This will be the first weekend we are open since Christmas weekend and there is some reservation space available for both Thursday and Saturday evenings.

We look forward to serving you.

Hugh,

Chief cook and bottle washer.

• 1 month later...

Ate at Richard's last night. I can attest the menu is pretty much identical, and the food is as well. I don't know how Hugh does it. I had steak and mushroom pie; friend had garlic shrimp, both delicious. Started with cream of carrot/ginger soup (for 20p!). The excellent breadsticks are a real treat, too.

Service was surprisingly timely considering their waitress has been AWOL for two weeks, and Laura was doing it all for a packed house (except for a brief moment when she got trapped in conversation while bidding goodbye to one group, and Hugh brought us our main course... with a pleasant smile.)

Ros did it for the love of cooking; considering the consistently high quality and low prices, the new owners do as well. Add the very comfortable dining chairs into the mix (and a front door that closes out the winds), and this is a go-to place for me.

I'd like to add my two cents of good things to say about Richards under new management. We went on a recent Friday night with another couple and were warmly greeted at the door by Laura. As others have stated the menu and prices are the same as with the original owners. The ladies had salmon and the men steak and mushroom pie and all reported very tasty meals.

We capped off the meal with a delicious mango and raspberry cobbler.

This has to be the best dining value in the area. We'll certainly be back shortly

Ate at Richard's last night. I can attest the menu is pretty much identical, and the food is as well. I don't know how Hugh does it. I had steak and mushroom pie; friend had garlic shrimp, both delicious. Started with cream of carrot/ginger soup (for 20p!). The excellent breadsticks are a real treat, too.

Service was surprisingly timely considering their waitress has been AWOL for two weeks, and Laura was doing it all for a packed house (except for a brief moment when she got trapped in conversation while bidding goodbye to one group, and Hugh brought us our main course... with a pleasant smile.)

Ros did it for the love of cooking; considering the consistently high quality and low prices, the new owners do as well. Add the very comfortable dining chairs into the mix (and a front door that closes out the winds), and this is a go-to place for me.

A small point of clarification. You had a large soup and that was why there was a charge associated with it. Otherwise soup or salad is included with the meal

Thanks, Hugh. My comment was intended to point out the top-notch value of your pricing. Because in fact, I also had the salad that comes with the meal. But the soups are so good I wanted more. As it turned out, my friend had the soup that comes with the meal, and it was large enough that I really didn't need to order a large. Now I don't want you raising your prices, but I can tell you that there are a couple of other places serving the same quality of soup and charging more than twice what you do. So whichever way one looks at it, it's an excellent deal at Richard's. ... Mike

• 4 weeks later...

We went to Richard's last night for a 6:30 reservation. We were a table of 5 and they were very busy. The menu is good as is the food, but we were very disappointed in the service. We waited 20 minutes for drinks. The margaritas definitely needed "something". So we ordered 2 extra shots of tequila. The waitress said she didn't like to make them too strong in case we didn't like it. In all we ordered 3 shots of tequila to add to the pitcher of margaritas and paid for the same. All of the food was very good. Kudos from our friend who had the Au Gratin shrimp. He tasted the other shrimp dishes and proclaimed Au Gratin the best. We enjoyed the carrot soup, very rich & filling. Our problem was we were not served until 8:20. By the time we ate, all other guests were gone. So I guess we closed the place at 9. We may return but not until snowbird season is over or we hear that they hired some help.

Richard‘s Restaurant is in Chapala, in the neighborhood opposite Soriana, across the highway.

To get there from Ajijic, take the libramiento and turn toward Chapala. As you approach Soriana, get in the right lateral street and turn rignt immediately before the soccer field. Go one block to Tomas Bar and Restaurant and turn right. Go three long blocks and turn right and park. You will be in front of Richard‘s and facing the tall Soriana sign across the highway.

On departure, to toward the sign, turn right onto the lateral and merge left onto the highway. You will be headed into Chapala and can turn right at the main intersection (Hidalgo) toward Ajijic.

(Those from Chapala or Riberas will know how to approach from the other direction, turning left before the Pemex.)

Our problem was we were not served until 8:20. By the time we ate, all other guests were gone. So I guess we closed the place at 9. We may return but not until snowbird season is over or we hear that they hired some help.

I wonder if their waitress is still AWOL? Last time we were there, Laurie had to do everything; even Hugh had to step out of the kitchen to bring us our dinner.

We went to Richard's last night for a 6:30 reservation. We were a table of 5 and they were very busy. The menu is good as is the food, but we were very disappointed in the service. We waited 20 minutes for drinks. The margaritas definitely needed "something". So we ordered 2 extra shots of tequila. The waitress said she didn't like to make them too strong in case we didn't like it. In all we ordered 3 shots of tequila to add to the pitcher of margaritas and paid for the same. All of the food was very good. Kudos from our friend who had the Au Gratin shrimp. He tasted the other shrimp dishes and proclaimed Au Gratin the best. We enjoyed the carrot soup, very rich & filling. Our problem was we were not served until 8:20. By the time we ate, all other guests were gone. So I guess we closed the place at 9. We may return but not until snowbird season is over or we hear that they hired some help.

Liquipure is absolutely correct that we failed to take care of his party in a timely manner. For that both Laura and I are sorry. We make no excuses. We will contact the reserving person and attempt to make amends after we get a chance to get together and discuss it.

I am glad you enjoyed the food.

Hugh

Thank you, Hugh, for your most refreshing answer. I wish your type of response to a customers complaint was the norm, but, sadly, it is the exception.

I have been intending to visit your restaurant since it reopened and am now making it more of a priority.

Again, thank you for your graciousness and professionalism.

Archived