Chapala.com Webboard

Reselling an imported vehicle

Mainecoons

But have to have original of pedimento and factura from when you nationalized to pass on to the buyer.

The buyer of a car that has been nationalized needs the original pedimento and factura to register the vehicle. Now, will some Rentas office accept a copy? Possibly but they are not suppose to do so. Similarly, one needs the original bill of sale for a car bought in Mexico even when it is sold 15 years later. If you have name of broker that person, for a fee, I am told can get another original pedimento.

The person I work with to nationalize cars told me he can get a replacement for an original pedimento and if memory correct about 3000 pesos.

I wonder how Canadians do it. Some of their titles are wallet sized cards and there really is no room to put the phrase CEDO TODOS LOS DERECHOS DE LA PRESENTE A FULANITO DE TAL. And if there was room, what about the next transfer? Here in Jalisco from what we have seen the factura has not been requested just the title which you sign the back of as stated above. Although this seems to vary by state, one client couldnt register his car as he was a tourist as they asked for his CURP, this was in Colima.

As Spencer noted it varies from state to state. To register a vehicle in Guanajuato state they ask for:

Pedimento from Aduana

Factura from broker

Recent utility bill TelMex, TelCel, CFE, SAPASMA or MegaCable

Title front and back

1. Visa (front and back) is acceptable if utility bill is in your name.

OR

2. MX driver’s license (vs visa) front and back if utility bill is not in your name. However, the utility bill must show same address as your MX driver’s license.

Here in GTO state they sign similar to what Spencer stated : "CEDO TODOS LOS DERECHOS DE LA PRESENTE A FULANITO DE TA" on the back of the factura when a nationalized vehicle is sold. This was for a sale last week of a Canadian car I nationalized and for the sale of our own car we nationalized. Both were from Ontario.

In Colima state to register they want :

Title to the car (they took a copy and we kept the orig.)

Factura

Pedimento

Pass Port

Curp card

Phone bill (2 months)

Visa

The point is as Spencer implied the buyer needs to be aware of the registration requirements in their state. It can be very difficult and time consuming to get another bill of sale for a car bought in Mexico years later as it is with a factura and pedimento for a car that has been nationalized. The buyer or person nationalizing should always check their MX state registration requirements before committing to nationalizing or purchasing a car.

:( There is no consumer protection in Mexico.

hookem,have you ever heard of PROFECO?

I know people who have gotten good results from them,sometimes all they had to do was threaten to go to them and the problem was resolved to their satisfaction.

I would like to talk with those people. Could you tell me how I could get in touch?

No problem,just PM me your name and phone number and I'll pass it along to them so that if they choose to, they can contact you.

Archived