Chapala.com Webboard

Used car part needed for Subaru-need suggestions

virgogirl

I have a 1996 Subaru Legacy Outback stationwagon that needs the rear axle differential. I googled used auto parts/junkyards with minimum luck. This vehicle is not a common make and model down here, and I may, as a last resort, have to order the part through Auto Zone and have it shipped. It's a bit out of my budget though, the car is old, and I'd prefer to luck out and obtain a used part. I understand there is a good, huge yard out on the periferico near Tonala. I will check that along with another I googled called Los Angeles in Tlaqueapque.

Any other suggestions will be welcome. Thank you for any and all suggestions.

We ended-up ordering our struts for '99 Forester on-line and having them shipped here via Merkalink. Not cheap, but seemed to be the only option. Still less expensive than going through Subaru parts in the States. That's one of the reasons we returned the car NOB and now have a Mexican plated Toyota. I really wanted to buy another Subaru from the dealer in Guad, but I thought about availability and expense of parts throughout Mexico and reason prevailed.

Thank you all. Mountain Gal . where on line did you order them? straight from a subbie dealer? Thanks for the ebay link, I have bookmarked that. And yes, Griffin, Auto Zone is my last resort as I know it will be the most expensive. I've seen on in Tlaquepaque and out in the industrial zone on 8 de Julio. I had absolutely no idea how much theis part would cost and now I know it's in the 300 dollar range, plus shipping. ouch.....

I did a search on-line for "Subaru Forester parts" or something like that. Checked them all and found the best price. I think it was something like Auto Parts Depot. If you have or open a Merkalink account the shipping is less expensive, although definitely not cheap. We were told that we could not get the parts in Mexico, which would have been our first option - have the mechanic order them.

The rear differentials in old Datsuns with IRS (independent rear axles such as the 510/610/710/240Z/260Z) from the '70's and '80's are virtually identical to the Subbie rear diffs. They are made by Fuji and I think yours is what they call the R180 (180mm. ring gear). You should be able to find some old Datsun stuff in junk yards around the area. Might have to have a mechanic swap out the stub axles for you if the one you find is a bit different.

all this is such good stuff. thanks a million. first i will go to el chavo, a giant junkyard somewhere around tonala. and then the other one in talquepaque. good to know about the compatible datsun parts. my mechanic is one of those rustic type junkyard geniuses, so i'm sure could do alot of rigging if necessary. if i have to order the part new, after checking around jalisco first, i now have alot of great options thanks to all you terrific information givers. gracias....

i also emailed my son who has a junkyard in the states. it is possible he can ship me one if he has one. so one way or another, eh?

Archived