Chapala.com Webboard

Olé México

Travis

I'm putting in a plug for this relatively new language school in Ajijic. It's located at Calle Revolución #6, just north of the carretera across from El Torito. The school was opened by two brothers from Guadalajara, Gabriel and Alex. They do not use the Warren Hardy materials/approach. Their approach is much more interactive and conversational, and classes generally include a mix of activities to keep things interesting. Classes are available Monday through Friday, various levels. I've been taking classes there since late December after having completed all the Warren Hardy classes through LCS. I find the approach refreshing, and they are creative, enthusiastic and talented teachers. Here's the contact info:

Olé México

766 2068

info@institutoolemexico.com

http://www.institutoolemexico.com

Edit/P.S.: Call for price info. The prices reflected on their website are not accurate as of April 2012.

I was so glad to see a recommendation. I'd been wondering about the school. What level did you begin with there? Are there materials one has to buy? (I've go so darn many Spanish lesson books.) Are classes large or small. I did read the website you included in your post. I will go by and see them, but I thought I'd ask a few questions of you first.

I was most recently in a very nice group with a very pleasant teacher. But I'd like to find a more structured class, if possible, with an intense course so that I might move along and progress a bit faster.

Have others any experience with this school?

Lexy

I have been going to this school for a couple of months now and also really enjoy the classes because the variety of teaching methods keeps it interesting. Classes are small....up to 4 or 5. There are currently only 2 people in my level 1 class. They will access you for placement in the appropriate level. I did buy a workbook but was told it was not necessary. You will have a choice of going either 2 or 3 times per week. Like Travis, I highly recommend them.

The first day, I met with Gabriel and he gave me an assessment test, both written and oral. I basically placed smack in between Level 3 and Level 4. (I think they have 6 levels total.) Back in December they did have a L4 class but he said that they were probably a little more advanced than me. At that time they did not have a Level 3 class, so right now we're going through the L3 material one-on-one at an accelerated pace until I can join the other group. I think that's the plan, anyway. So yes, the classes are small. Right now mine is just me. :)

About the book. They are less expensive than many, especially the Warren Hardy materials. The L3 book cost $180 MXN. The books mirror the more variety-filled approach they use, and aren't just grammar exercise after grammar exercise. The other good thing about them is they are very much Mexican Spanish, and even include some idiom, etc. As far as I know, the books don't include a word of English. To be honest, other than translating the occasional word to English, Gabriel only speaks Spanish with me. And that's just fine since that's exactly what I need right now. Don't know how much English is used in the other levels. The vast majority of time we spend in class is outside the book anyway, so as exyyz said, you may not even have to buy one. We are half way through it after 2 months.

I like having the book since it gives me some guidance on what we'll be covering. I use my other books -- yeah, I have quite a collection, too -- to supplement what I know we'll be working on next.

The school is definitely worth looking into to see if it's a good fit.

• 1 month later...

I just signed up for Level 2. Can't wait to get started, but they are closed next week for Semana Santa. So far, I'd highly recommend them. The testing process was fun and they let you observe a class before commiting. Gabriel and his brother, Alex, are patient, creative and knowledgeable.

The prices listed on the Olé México website are inaccurate. I have been paying $1050 PESOS per month. This is for two classes per week, each class lasting one hour and forty five minutes.

I meant to post this earlier as someone pm'd me that question. I'll let Gabriel and Alex know, too.

• 3 weeks later...

HERE IS ANOTHER PLUG FOR OLE!

I started last week in level 2 (with Maureen) That's our class! Gabriel is our teacher. For me it is the right mix of grammar and speaking / listening and using what we are learning right then. The 1 hr 45 min flies by. Today we will use family (aunt, uncle, godparents, step child etc), Last week it was professions (lawyer, dentist) etc. All wrapped around the use of pronouns and pesonal adjectives (mi tio, su abogado etc) This is stuff that I will use every day in Ajijic.

• 4 weeks later...

They sound like exactly what I am looking for...no one mentioned Level 1 however which is where I would need to start as I am barely to the spanglish level any comments about beginning Spanish with them?

I am level 1. I was about at level 0.4 when I started and that was after 3 previous attempts to learn Spanish. For the first time I feel like I am advancing. Alex spoke to me in English while building vocabulary and then switched to Spanish entirely albeit at a very basic level appropriate to my skill level. He will clarify if I don't comprehend what is being said. I must be getting somewhere. My neighbours actually understand some of what I am trying to tell them now.

I am level 1. I was about at level 0.4 when I started and that was after 3 previous attempts to learn Spanish. For the first time I feel like I am advancing ..... I must be getting somewhere. My neighbours actually understand some of what I am trying to tell them now.

Congratulations! That's the highest possible praise.

I volunteer with LCS trying to help people who want to learn English, so I have a new appreciation and respect for language teachers. Gabriel and Alex are really good at what they do: energetic, hard-working, and, I think, gifted.

I know I'm making progress.

• 3 months later...

Archived