Chapala.com Webboard

Coming in at Laredo

I received a note from friends that drove in last week, Sept.25.. After crossing into Mexico, stoping to pay for importing a US vehicle for 6 months, they drove a short distance further, and a car came up along side of them and pushed them off the road to the right side road. He then took out a gun and asked for their cash. They gave him cash and he drove away. I'd suggest, as a precaution, you might want to drive in the left lane.

If they didn't have someone sticking a gun in their face before they stopped, why did they stop? I'm not trying to blame the victim but I would have just continued to head on even if they had hit my car , because once you are at the mercy of the perpetrators.

I was once carjacked in the United States at gunpoint and so I understand what can go through your mind in a flash.I had to choose not to fight because I had a gun stuck to my head and my girlfriend standing next to me. We could have both been shot.

Just happened to us on Friday. We had a 3 car caravan, our guide and transporter in a loaded van. my wife in her car and me. We crossed through the city crossing in Laredo. Couple of blocks across a car rushes around me, pulls in front of the van and stops, blocking the street. A guy jumps out of the car and another comes out of a building with shirt on that said staff. He walks to the window and shakes hands with our guide through the window. I thought they knew each other because our guy knows a lot of folks in Laredo. My wife stayed in her car and as I got out of mine our guy comes to me and says we gotta pay $400 US dollars.. I said we just paid at the border. He says no, we have to pay these guys or they will take him and the van....and I can tell he's nervous. I said are they cartel and he says yes, the Cetas I look on the sidewalk next to the van and there is a guy there with an AK 47 raised. Luckily I had cash and paid. They were very polite and one guy had on UGA hat. I said go dogs and he laughed. BigTiki may talk big, but once the gun is up so is the jig. Our guy is very experienced crossing the border it has never happened to him before. Evidently they were watching at the crossing or a border guard tipped them off. Just glad it was only $400.

Just happened to us on Friday. We had a 3 car caravan, our guide and transporter in a loaded van. my wife in her car and me. We crossed through the city crossing in Laredo. Couple of blocks across a car rushes around me, pulls in front of the van and stops, blocking the street. A guy jumps out of the car and another comes out of a building with shirt on that said staff. He walks to the window and shakes hands with our guide through the window. I thought they knew each other because our guy knows a lot of folks in Laredo. My wife stayed in her car and as I got out of mine our guy comes to me and says we gotta pay $400 US dollars.. I said we just paid at the border. He says no, we have to pay these guys or they will take him and the van....and I can tell he's nervous. I said are they cartel and he says yes, the Cetas I look on the sidewalk next to the van and there is a guy there with an AK 47 raised. Luckily I had cash and paid. They were very polite and one guy had on UGA hat. I said go dogs and he laughed. BigTiki may talk big, but once the gun is up so is the jig. Our guy is very experienced crossing the border it has never happened to him before. Evidently they were watching at the crossing or a border guard tipped them off. Just glad it was only $400.

Did you have US or Mexican plates?

Hey, look ,no insult intended. It was said there was a gun. If someone had a small pistol that's one thing and ak-47 while you're standing there is something else. so I'm not talking big. That's why I relayed the message about being carjacked but maybe you didn't read that part. Sounds like you had no choice.

I'm sorry it happened to you, or anyone for that matter. Crime affects all of us, and affects relationships between the Mexican people and the Norte Americanos. It makes everyone less trusting.

No problem BigTiki, but when they have your car blocked and a gun there is little choice. It was the crossing through centro Laredo, don't know the name off hand. My wife and I had US plates, our guide had Jalisco. Like I said, someone as either posted at the border, or were called by an agent that works there.

No problem BigTiki, but when they have your car blocked and a gun there is little choice. It was the crossing through centro Laredo, don't know the name off hand. My wife and I had US plates, our guide had Jalisco. Like I said, someone as either posted at the border, or were called by an agent that works there.

Have you reported this to the USA and Mexican authorities

Sorry if I wasn't clear. Our companion drove from lakeside to Atlanta to haul our stuff and tow my wife's car. He could not have been more helpful and saved us much time and aggravation. He came highly recommended by some folks on tis board. He certainly had several opportunities to rip us off for much more if so inclined.

What a horrible experience. Border areas all over the world are always filled with sketchy characters and thieving opportunists. I suspect it was the 3-car caravan that made you guys more vulnerable to the opportunistic scumbag. Sorry for your awful luck. Good that you got out of it safely.

I don't feel that I am an easily intimidated person but something that always seems to raise the hair on the back of my neck is the exit from the border crossings coming into Mexico. I have suspicions that there are "spotters" there that target prey and notify their buddies who are down the road to shake people down. At two of the most popular city crossings in the east (Laredo Bridge #2 and Pharr) there are groups of men hanging around and waving at you, trying to get you to pull over and stop as you pass by upon exiting from the secure border compounds on the Mexican side. It could be as simple as trying to give you directions (in exchange for a propina) but I always floor it and get outa' Dodge. Best to act like you know where you are going (even if you don't).

I haven't seen this upon exiting from Columbia (yet) but there you have a different problem - the isolation of Hwy. 2 around the west side of Nuevo Laredo. I would feel more safe if there was a higher Federal Police or Military presence near those compounds but most times there isn't when I have crossed.

A client who recently arrived in SMA reports a similar experience in Nuevo Laredo. This is way too often and scary. Sorry, this is happening.

Sonia

Archived