Chapala.com Webboard

Best places to eat vegetarian?

Lila

I've actually been vegan for 5 years, but have decided to give it up while in Ajijic: tired of eating salads and portobello burgers. So, what about places that serve decent vegetarian entrees? Anyone know of a place for lunch that I can get to on food or by bus from east upper La Floresta?

I think they reopen next week, but Panino has a tasty grilled vegetarian sandwich on your choice of bread with a small side salad or potato salad. Arileo, by bus west of Ajijic, also has a nice vegetarian burger which is really a grilled vegetable sandwich with cheese on a bun with sweet potato fries. Tango also has pasta and some vegetarian options. La Una has some nice vegetarian sandwich choices also. And Christian's place, Mangia Mia, has a lovely eggplant parm.

I've actually been vegan for 5 years, but have decided to give it up while in Ajijic: tired of eating salads and portobello burgers. So, what about places that serve decent vegetarian entrees? Anyone know of a place for lunch that I can get to on food or by bus from east upper La Floresta?

You might like Yves', on the Carretera parallel service road near the Zaragoza service road. Bus stops near there.

Full salad bar; cheese only quesadillas if you order that. Some pasta dishes. Charming setting.

Thanks for the tips. Next question: since I am thinking I should cook more at home, and my chiropractor says I might want to add some animal protein to my diet, can anyone tell me where to buy grass-fed, hormone-free meats, eggs, cheeses?

You have picked a difficult country to be a vegetarian - I think most Mexicans consider it to be a fancy word for an eating disorder!

The best thing to do is to enjoy the year round growing season, and plant a salad/vegetable garden. Then you know exactly what they grew in and who handled them.

I know it's farther, but if you ever find yourself at Viva Mexico in San Juan Cosala, you must try the vegetarian version of chile en nogada. It is the best plate of food I've had here so far.

My partner has been vegan for over 20 years and I also eat a mostly vegetable-based diet and we have had no problems finding food here in Ajijic/Chapala. Granted, we make most of our meals at home. You can find all the vegetables you need at any of the markets. We buy ours weekly at the Tuesday organic market in west Ajijic. You can also find tofu sold there, vegetarian tamales, and other goodies for vegans/vegetarians. Beans and other bulk items we get at El Granero located across from the Ajijic Clinic. Between those two places and an occasional trip to Superlake and our fruiterria we have all of our food needs met.

For eating out, there is the Chinese place, Min Wah's - they have several vegetarian dishes and have tofu if you ask for it. Also, a couple of Thai places in town (again, they do have tofu if you ask). There's an Indian restaurant downtown but I don't know how good it is. In most any mexican restaurant you can order a plate of rice, beans, guac, salsa, ensalada, and any other side fixings + tortillas. Also, many can offer vegetarian versions of anything - just ask that they don't include cheese or cream. There's also the noodle place in the mall next to El Torito's. I'm sure there are other restaurants out there that offer vegan or vegetarian options - I just don't go out that often to recommend all of them.

Jasmine's Indian restaurant, across from the Ajijic plaza on the South side, has delicious vegetarian offerings. I think they are open Thursday through Sunday, lunchtime on.

Not to be missed: the vegetarian spring rolls freshly made at Chopsticks, along with some of their other specialties. Inside the mall next to El Torito on the Carretera in central Ajijic. The restaurant is all the way at the back on the ground floor before you enter the parking garage and they also have a side entrance on the street, next to the parking lot entrance.

Tuesday Market, along with the fresh vegetables, also has many prepared dishes. If you eat eggs, I highly recommend the couple making the quiches.

My favorite is their crustless spinach quiche. They also have good vegetarian empanadas.

Best spaghetti in town: Cocinart on 16 de Septiembre, a block west of Lake Chapala Society. They will leave out the bacon pieces in their marinara sauce if you request it. And yes, they do have a very good portabella burger, too. :unsure:

Jasmine's Indian restaurant, across from the Ajijic plaza on the South side, has delicious vegetarian offerings. I think they are open Thursday through Sunday, lunchtime on.

Not to be missed: the vegetarian spring rolls freshly made at Chopsticks, along with some of their other specialties. Inside the mall next to El Torito on the Carretera in central Ajijic. The restaurant is all the way at the back on the ground floor before you enter the parking garage and they also have a side entrance on the street, next to the parking lot entrance.

Tuesday Market, along with the fresh vegetables, also has many prepared dishes. If you eat eggs, I highly recommend the couple making the quiches.

My favorite is their crustless spinach quiche. They also have good vegetarian empanadas.

Best spaghetti in town: Cocinart on 16 de Septiembre, a block west of Lake Chapala Society. They will leave out the bacon pieces in their marinara sauce if you request it. And yes, they do have a very good portabella burger, too. :unsure:

thanks for the kind words, gringal. Jasmine's Classic India has been closed for the last few weeks--too hot and too few people around. we plan on reopening in the next week or two .we are missing seeing our friends and eating Indian food 4+ times a week. we'll have an improved menu and are working on our organic garden in the back, if anyone has some seeds/seedlings to contribute....we'll keep you posted.

Archived