Chapala.com Webboard

New Baya Bistro, across from Super Lake

moonhill

After months of construction, it now appears we have a new restaurant across from Super Lake on the north side of the carreterra called Baya Bistro. It looks open but could be a dry run with friends and family. Has anybody heard what kind of food they offer? If anybody tries it before we do, please post your experience and we'll do likewise. I'm keeping my fingers crossed because we could walk to this one!

Open today and was a great dining experience.The soup was to die for and the chicken wraps were the best around.Incredible smoothies and they will have a salad bar but is not complete yet.They do serve beer and wine,but I think this is going to be a great place to eat fresh healthy foods.Also is the first drive-through in town.Please check Baya-Bistro out,part of the proceeds go towards local Orphanages!!

Two of us had lunch there today. The pollo buffalo wrap was EXCELLENT. For 40 pesos it was large, delicious and filling. They had soups but were not listed on their menu.

Some of the drinks were not yet available such as the lattes and capachinos.

We will definitely return.

Our only complaint was a woman who said she was the owner's girlfriend who was spending a lot of time telling each table everything about the place and people involved to the point no one could hold their own conversation. Kudos for her enthusiasm but fortunately she will soon be gone.

The pollo buffalo wrap was EXCELLENT. For 40 pesos it was large, delicious and filling...

Well, with prices like those they should be out of business in no time. Thank goodness they didn't sink a bunch of money building a fancy new space....oh wait. Ooops. :blink:

Honestly, I wish them the best of luck and look forward to trying the place. But seriously. Wow.

I will gladly spend $40 pesos for a wrap if the quality is good. I´ve paid cheap prices for mediocre food (and some outrageous prices for absolute crap), so I´m willing to give the place a try. I wish them luck. It´s a great location with lots of traffic.

As promised in my original post, I tried it and am reporting back. Mi esposo and I tried the pollo buffalo wrap on the advice of another poster, and it was delicious. The only problem we had was with communicating what we were ordering, and before everybody accuses us of not speaking Spanish, we were communicating in Spanish and are quite sure we were expressing our desires very plainly. You write your order on a menu in pencil, and we circled the chicken wrap and entered the number 1 in the space for that purpose. My husband then asked for two plates so we could share, but reiterated we only want ONE order. The waiter gave us a funny look, so we explained we wanted ONE order, but TWO plates and again showed him the number 1 on the menu. When the order came, it was in two baskets and looked like a lot, so I asked him if that was ONE order, he said yes. Being new to this restaurant we thought how generous the servings were, but we suspected we had gotten two orders. When the bill came, we were charged for two orders. I told the woman at the register we had only ordered one wrap and she was very gracious about adjusting the bill. People at another table were trying to order iced tea and were being told it was unavailable, which they were not happy about. We will go back after they work out some bugs. Menu looks good, the wrap was delicious. Normally I would have paid for both orders, but they might improve by knowing their mistakes; it's a learning curve.

Interesting previous post. Yesterday we ordered verbally as they were not yet trying out paper orders but were talking about doing so.

We too had order problems ending up with 3 wraps instead of two. One of us is very fluent in Spanish and the other is somewhat fluent so communication is definitely a problem on their end when ordering at the present time.

Their chef is fairly fluent in English so if you want anything a little off the rails go speak to him. He is very nice and accomodating.

We went today, had the Buffalo Chicken Wrap and had no problems with our order. They are working out the bugs but we are glad to have this lunch option. I don't think the chicken was fried ... if it was it was pan fried without any type of coating. The chicken was fresh as were the veggies. When we parked and got out of the car headed to the restaurant a nice Mexican man called to us from the property adjacent to the restaurant ... the one with the stain glass windows that is still being worked on. He invited us in to see what they are doing .... they are going to sell all kinds of glass products and possibly more. They have some things in now ... he said some were antique and some were new. Very pretty things already. He was the owner of both this property and the restaurant. Also, for those that are interested ... inside the restaurant is a small kiosk that sells Mannetec products. My sister-in-law has sold this product for many years in the States and swears by it ... she is never sick :)

Hey Moonhill who are you trying to fool,you took 2 orders knowing full well you only ordered one.I hope you feel good about that.You should go back and apologize to the owner for what you did.Maybe you were not taught about doing the right thing,but you have some learning to do about what's right and what's wrong.Would you also keep incorrect change back from a purchase and teach the clerk what it means to be a thief.A nice amount of the profits of this Bistro will go to support 2 local Orphanages,so that should make you feel even better!!( Man,that sounded worse than what you did:I apologize if I was too harsh on you,I know the owner and I know how much he gives to others.Thanks for listening to me rant,I thank you for giving them a try and I hope you will go back.

Went there today. Order buffalo chicken wrap and a Texas burg, and a smoothie: straw-ras-blackberry. Absolutely delicious drink. No soda pop, though, and their agua frescas are 25 p, which is too much anywhere. It's a nifty-looking chain-type place, and service was great in both languages. One of the cooks came out and asked me at length if I thought there was anything else they could do to punch up the meal.

The wrap was also offered on a "chabata" bun, which was their spelling, and neither of us are sure what that is; I think it meant Greek instead of tortilla. It was deelish. The burg was "fine", but not a $55p burg. Would I pay $45 again for another wrap? I dunno. The bill was about 150 and that's too much in my world for lunch, but I can see it being a great place to take visitors. It's really nicely decorated inside, lots of open air, cooler in the back at 4pm than at the front, and beer is only $20 which ain't bad... better than the aguas. Oh, no pop available.

Well, with prices like those they should be out of business in no time. Thank goodness they didn't sink a bunch of money building a fancy new space....oh wait. Ooops. :blink:

Honestly, I wish them the best of luck and look forward to trying the place. But seriously. Wow.

In case I wasn't clear, I meant they weren't charging enough at that price based on the way Shira described the wrap. I thought that was obvious. I guess not.

And, ummmmm, two people trying to share a dish that costs $40 Pesos? Time to bite my tongue. Tough town.

sorry... my bad....I misunderstood the reason for this web board.....won't happen again.

buen provecho everybody.

Hey, not picking on anybody, just looking for a little stress relief. Sorry. Keep up the reviews, please. I mightn't have gone without your review.

Archived