Chapala.com Webboard

Computers really don't wear out

ComputerGuy

The guy who reports on tech stuff in The Guadalajara Reporter did a thing today on slow computers and such. He listed a few things I disagree with, but I want to focus on one thing he said: that over time, computers "...as mechanical devices... simply wear out".

This is absolutely not the case. They break, maybe. Parts break after time, sure. Hard drives and DVD drives more often than anything else. But when your computer is slow, it's not wearing out. Windows is slowing down (something he did point out). I've had too many customers who have thrown away their laptops, because "it got too slow". There is a misconception that it's the hardware that is slowing down, but in reality it's the Windows operating system (Macs, too).

So if your tower/laptop gets too slow for you, generally speaking, it can be fixed. Don't waste your money getting a new unit to replace a slow one (unless you want to get a better one anyway).

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My desktop was getting more and more sluggish and began doing what I call "little hinky things." I took it in for a tuneup. Turned out the fan was malfunctioning, the tower case was filled with cat hair and dust, and it had some spyware (despite my two security programs). One day and 500 pesos later we both are happy. The cats, not so much though. I moved the tower to where they can not sleep on it.

Excellent points!

Are there any good safe software programs that you recommend to clean up a "slow machine"?

On a separate issue, for people dealing with old computers, the cooling fans bearing/bushings do seem susceptible to wearing out on both laptops and desktops - especially when they get dirty and overheat - causing the related power supplies to overheat - which also accelerates oxidation at connectors. In the situation of dust related wear, I've heard 2 schools of thought: One set of guys advocate using canned air to carefully blow out dust and dust-bunnies from the fans. The other school of thought says that you may blow dust into the fan bearings/bushings.

What's your experience/advice on this?

What services do you recommend doing?

Do you clean out the fans and power supplies on machines?

Do you clean and treat oxidized connections - like cable connectors or edge connectors on memory cards?

Do you clean out viruses, accumulated old registry errors, adware, spyware etc?

Fun topic!

*Edit: I see that someone else posted about the dust, cat-hair, dustbunny issue at the same time I was typing.

One of the easiest ways to get your speed back is by cleaning the registry and disk. I've used Wise for years and have never had a `problem or a Windows crash. I run the registry cleaner daily and wise has a provision to do it automatically on start-up. The disk cleaner about every 2 weeks. These programs are a Godsend as far as keeping your computer running in top performance. They're both free software you can get here: http://www.wisecleaner.com/wisediskcleanerfree.html and http://www.wisecleaner.com/wiseregistrycleanerfree.html

Other programs you load on your computer can slow it down, especially Anti-Virus software. Try turning off the Anti-Virus software. If it speeds up, try a different Anti-Virus. McAfee is notorious for slowing down your computer.

With the speed of today's machines, most software is written sloppy and covered up by high speed chips. If you have an old computer, the slow down may be caused by software written for today's high speed chips. Trying to run Windows 7 on a computer you bought with Windows 95 isn't going to work. This may be what the author was referring to as "worn out computer".

Disk fragmenting can also slow down a computer but it really has to be badly fragmented. Wise disk cleaner will also defrag your computer.

Malware can also slow down your computer. Another free program is Malwarebytes which you can get here: https://www.malwarebytes.org/lp/lp4/02_r/?gclid=CN393vLwjsICFcI-Mgodb28AHQ

It will find malware your Anti-Virus can miss.

If it still doesn't work, call computerguy.

Yes, bearings do go on fans; most often replacing those in laptops is difficult, sometimes impossible. However, for fans just as often, a computer who's software is getting old means the drivers and OS have to work that much harder to keep "alive", so everything beings to overheat and the fan can't keep up. On DVDs, drive "belts" (rubber bands, actually) get brittle, thanks to our weather and dust (which is very fine and acts like sandpaper, but doesn't usually "clog").

You can blow right through the holes in a laptop; just be careful with the canned air that the nozzle doesn't get too close, or the freon will come out wet and can cause damage. You can also take off the back, when possible, and blow right at the fan, same precaution. With a tower, same thing, if you are comfortable getting inside the box. But when a power supply gets a clogged bearing, not much can be done besides replacing the power supply.

For memory sticks, I just wipe with a dry Kleenex. For other components, removing and reseating them is usually enough.

I never touch the registry with a "cleaner". If I need to access it, I use the regedit function built in and look for specific instances of the "bad" program I am dealing with. Malware is most often remedied with physical removal and other methods; I rarely use spyware-cleaning programs as they are only partially effective at best.

Years ago, all the cleaners would save (backup) the registry, in case there was a problem, you could just restore the old registry. The process today is so precise the back-up isn't even offered by most registry cleaners. Ccleaner is the only one I know of that still gives you the option to back up. It's not automatic, it's an option. These programs do an incredible job of keeping your computer running at optimal speeds. Having owned a software company and using registry cleaners on every computer, everyday, for years, never, ever was there a problem.

If you have any doubt, click on start and where it says programs and files, type in regedit, expand any header and you tell me if you think a technician is more competent erasing stuff in your registry than a program, not only designed to clean the registry, but has been in use, trouble free for years. There are thousands of lines of code, completely unrecognizable by you, and unrecognizable by your technician, thousands of lines. If you call a technician, they'll come by with a copy of a registry cleaner and run it for you. Then, $300 pesos please. These are absolutely safe, Computer guy is wrong. Don't let a tech in your registry, ever.

Not this technician. But go ahead, please. Listen to Snafu's advice. Then, you know how to get in touch with me. He really has no concept. "Owner of a software company" could mean anything. I own a car, and wow, drive it everyday. Doesn't mean I know squat about the modern engine in it.

Wow, I was even trying to refer you business Computerguy. Thanks a lot. That was really unnecessary. I have a good concept of what's in there. Stuff guys like you shouldn't be foolin with. Use professional software only. Tell you what, here's just 5 entries of the thousands in the Registry. Why don't you tell us what they are.

.ai

.aif

.aifc

OpenwithProgIds

persistenthandler

098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb

.aiff

.alac

I got a PM from a lady who wanted to copy some home movies from VHS to her computer. She needed a video card, some cables and some video software, so I referred her to Computerguy. This is his response.

"Sent Today, 01:19 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the confidence. This is, unfortunately, something I haven't done in many years. There used to be a guy in town, but he is no longer here. I will contact --------."

One last time, the most important thing you could do for your computer is clean the registry and broken files. Try it one time and you'll come out smiling.

I'm done with this thread.

(Yes, you referred me. And as everyone can see from your quote of our private conversation, I thanked you, didn't I. But then, you dissed me, dude. In public. Again. Turnabout.)

How about this? Repaired a laptop and returned it today, because of a dead hard drive. Why? Damaged sectors? Why? Who knows... but one program he used regularly was CCleaner. This happens so often, I really should contact the company and thank them for the work.

Other than the amount of disk space a Window's registry takes, the size is somewhat irrelevant. Programs access registry entries by direct key.

If you've ever run regedit you see 5 major keys, the local machine, current user, class id and a couple of others. Under each of these keys are additional folders that are also keyed items. A programmer simply uses a canned routine and provides the keys needed to locate stuff needed to operate. The response is almost immediate due to a very efficient indexing system.

If programs had to search the registry top to bottom sequentially then yes, size would matter. If you are running out of disk space then perhaps but registry only grows and never shrinks. Normally addresses for deleted items are stored internally and then assigned when a program needs to write some new ones. It's just a big database.

That big number you often see in the registry is called a GUID. It is 32 hex characters in length. Look it up if you care. Programs can use an internal process to generate a unique GUID to store stuff for quick retrieval later.

I personally would let a registry cleaner decide what entries to delete. There's no upside other than the registry looking better. A couple of valid entries deleted in error could screw up something important.

"Slow" computers normally have issues with processor speed and/or lack of memory. Often programs are unknowingly installed and start on reboot. Use up all of your memory and programs have to roll in and out to disk when needed. Multiple antivirus programs battle also each other. You only need one.

Adobe Photoshop runs great on a 64 bit quad processor with 8gb of memory. It will take 4gb of memory if it is available. If you only had 4gb then it would run a lot slower on the same tasks.

Adding memory if possible can be the cheapest fix for a slow computer.

(Yes, you referred me. And as everyone can see from your quote of our private conversation, I thanked you, didn't I. But then, you dissed me, dude. In public. Again. Turnabout.)

How about this? Repaired a laptop and returned it today, because of a dead hard drive. Why? Damaged sectors? Why? Who knows... but one program he used regularly was CCleaner. This happens so often, I really should contact the company and thank them for the work.

He probably used Windows regularly also, maybe that did it? Probably IE or Firfox regularly, maybe that did it? Probably Windows media player regularly, maybe that did it?. NO SOFTWARE CAN DAMAGE A HARD DRIVE, EVER!!!

Hard drives are damaged from manufacturing errors, head crashes, or, since they're mechanical, just wear out. Head crashes are more common in laptops because they can be moved while the disk is running.

Good grief, give me a break. Software breaks computers???? You're really not doing yourself any favors here. When you tell people Ccleaner broke their computer, do they believe you?

Guys you are failing to notice the HUGE elephant in the room - PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE by the manufacturers. If all PC's could be infinitely upgraded Dell and HP would be back working in their garages not living in the mansions they currently occupy. The architecture of the chips/boards etc is ever changing and often they simply can't be upgraded to Win whatever. Neither is accessory equipment, I had a wonderful little BW scanner that was perfect, when Win 7 arrived I wrote to the MFG asking for an upgrade, they weren't even subtle: NOT COMPATIBLE, BUY A NEW SCANNER FOR $350 - needless to say I no longer use their product. I had a nice little HP laptop on XP, no way you can increase memory to run Win 7 etc. and I've pitched PC's over the years because the OS is not compatible and you can't upgrade it, so to say the don't "wear out" may be technically correct, but it ignores the real world.

I agree, well written Giltner, although there is a difference between PLANNED OBSOLESCENCE as in light bulbs burning out, eyeglass frames breaking and the dramatic increases of speed and going from 8bit to 16bit to 32bit to 64bit computers. I for one am glad to see we don't have to operate in DOS anymore.

I've made it a point to never upgrade unless I buy a new computer. Windows upgrades is always turned off. If it works, why fix it, or why chance the upgrade has errors. Unless your computer breaks, and can't be fixed, why upgrade? What was wrong with XP? I still have it on one of my computers and it works fine. What do I care if MS stops upgrading, I don't upgrade anyway. Maybe it's time to stop playing their game. There's billions of computers out there, why would somebody hack yours. If you didn't upgrade, your BW scanner would work fine. Get Firefox, use the add-on "NoScript" and don't worry about it.

If your computer is slow, it can be for many reasons - and some of them are related to constant disk error recovery

memory error recovery network errors and myriad other reasons.

It can also be due to various kinds of malevolent software. Or even good software implemented with good intentions but little knowledge of how things really work. A cloud storage system with relatively low free limits that continually restarted a failing backup caused by insufficient available user cloud space - not bad software, not old hardware, just a lack of understanding - and poor error status provided. The network was slow the computer was slow the browser was slow, MS Word was slow......

Well the computer was beating them all to death with the incessant backup attempts. From what I've seen around town, there probably isn't a technician that could have have the problem or would have recognized the cause.

There are a number of persons that might help you resolve your problem.

Most use various software packages to find and clean things from your computer.

If they don't, they probably use divining rods so watch out.

My preference is Benno's.

I don't see them post here. but I do see their paid advertising elsewhere and they have a shop where you can take your computer and where you can talk to the technicians and probably some customers.

Some other places seem to know how to run cleanup programs even if they clean things that are not wrong and that actually provide a necessary service. You'll have to show them how to fix what they screw-up. I have done so for friends

Caveat emptor!

Some things the OP have said are true. Some are not.

You can pay this person to come work on your computer.

He might resolve your problem or he might not.

Mike the Computer Guy has fixed my computer a number of times and I am more than happy with the results. He has taken it from DOA to fully resuscitated and returned all my files to it from my external back up. I was so sure it was toast that I ordered another computer. Miracles do happen.

He is also honest enough to say that a keyboard problem is not his department but here's someone who can do it but it will be gone for a while. He didn't waste my time or my money...the word integrity comes to mind.

In the past (not here) I've had software that conflicted with other software, broken screens and dead fans that caused motherboards to burn out. Interesting that there's no warning that flashes on the screen when your computer is overheating...even cars do that.

Replacing a computer is sometimes a whole lot cheaper than fixing it and far less aggravating. They just don't make things the way they used to and we have become a throw away society.

Some people can change their own car oil and some people are comfortable running diagnostics and registry cleaners and whatever on their computers. I'm not one of those people. I call Mike for computer problems and I used to call Mike the car guy for the oil change. We all have our own comfort levels.

Again, I had Mac, started with it back in '82, it's now useless. I'm currently cleaning out a storage area and there is about $5K worth of Mac equipment including an SE with extended memory, a 19" monitor, a postscript laser printer etc and it's all going to the crusher, totally worthless, technology moves on. I still curse Steve Jobs for screwing up and losing the "fight" to MS years ago, now I have a pile of junk.

And the initial cost is also much much higher.

I bought an HP Pavilion with a 17 inch screen...750 gig hard drive etc. a year ago for $399.00 in Oregon so no sales tax.

Here are the specs...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c03735562

Unfortunately it came with Windows 8 but Mike has made it look and feel like Windows 7 (but way faster). When this one dies (and I'm positively certain that it's not going to last forever) I've got that one waiting in the wings.

It used to be that within two months of buying a computer, it was already outdated...things seem to be slowing down somewhat.

Again, I had Mac, started with it back in '82, it's now useless. I'm currently cleaning out a storage area and there is about $5K worth of Mac equipment including an SE with extended memory, a 19" monitor, a postscript laser printer etc and it's all going to the crusher, totally worthless, technology moves on. I still curse Steve Jobs for screwing up and losing the "fight" to MS years ago, now I have a pile of junk.

Apple did not loose the fight. Apple is winning the computing war. Apple makes far more cash than MSFT. the IPhone generates more revenue and more profit than all of MSFT. Even when looking at only the PC market, apple makes the majority of profit, it is the only true integrated player ( creates the hardware and software ). Mobile computing has twice the number of computers in the market when compared to traditional computers. The deal is that the market for old stationary computers was dominated by business buying decisions. Now buying decisions are made by consumers in the mobile market. Business used to consider Proce and backwards compatibility as the most important factors. Now consumers look at user experience, ecosystem and status. The market for mobile is much greater than the market for PCs. MSFT is almost non existent in mobile when looking at market share or profit share. Also what really matters in business is profit, market share is only a means to an end which is profit. MSFT is now trying to become an integrated player and has even shaken up their management organization to be more Apple like. It may have taken time and a computing mobile revolution to highlight the true front runner. Apples new partner IBM is writing applications for the business market to run on iPads. There are CEOs like Starwood hotel CEO who threw his PC away. He is solely on mobile devices like the iPad and iPhone. Apple will sell its 1 billionth iOS device this month. Apple is doing very well. The size of the entire installed PC market is about 1 billion devices. Mobile is at about 2 billion devices now. The chasm is growing. Not only is the mobile computing market a multiple of the PC market, mobile devices are upgraded at a more rapid pace ( about 2-3 years ). AAPL controls the majority of profits in PC manufacturers and the majority of profits in mobile computing. That is what describes who the winner is to me. Plus the wearable category is just about to start... Go AAPL and good luck MSFT.

I was a computer scientist working for HP. Never have I had to clean my registry. Also Iphones can go down sales wise as soon as something else comes along. Look at what happened to The "Blackberry". Nothing is for sure in this industry. Ipad business has huge competition with Android. Also for the Mac lover hate to tell you but exact same hardware for apple as MS. I have not lost a computer hardware wise in 20 years also but I have had to rebuilt the operating system as computer guy says. If we all knew what was going to happen we would all be rich. All it takes is one new smart player and a new game is afoot and all the other business plans are suddenly worthless. I am not predicting anything for Apple or MS cause I don't know what is going to happen but something will.

Seen it over and over and over.

Archived