Chapala.com Webboard

I'm looking for Virgins

Travis

I thought that subject line might get your attention. ;)

I'm starting a little project. I want to photograph public displays of the Virgin of Guadalupe in Ajijic. But while I've seen many around town, I can only think of a handful of specific locations. So I need your help locating where they are. Most are probably painted on the exterior of buildings, but some are undoubtedly carved in stone....or in the trunk of a tree, etc. It doesn't matter how they are done, or whether they are fine art or not. The only requirement is that it is a fixed/semi-permanent representation of the Virgen of Guadalupe and that it's viewable publicly.

Here are the locations I can think of right off the top of my head.

1. NE Corner of Constitucion and Juan Alvarez

2. SW Corner of Independencia and Cinco de Mayo.

3. Diane Pearl's recently painted on the side of her gallery.

4. Galeana Shrine, 1 block north of Carretera, east side of street

5. NW Corner of Constitucion and Aldama

(Additional locations from recon and subsequent posts in this thread)

6. Prolongacion Ocampo, West Ajijic

7. NE Corner of Guadalupe Victoria and Javier Mina

8. SW Corner of Juarez y Hidalgo

9. Sies Esquinas, base of big tree

10. Flores Magnon, just north of Zaragoza

Obviously, I need a lot of help locating them, so for those willing to contribute....

Welcome to Virgin Hunt 2014!!!

Do you have a Virgin in your neighborhood? And if so, where? Thanks!

Hola Travis! There is a really nice one (I am assuming West Ajijic would count) just around the corner from our old house on Prolongacion Ocampo. Allen will obviously know where it is! It is well-tended by the neighbors and every year on December 11 there is a gathering and a little ceremony there, sometimes even with a band close to midnight! I can send you more information and I even have some photos if you're interested, PM me if you'd like more specific directions.

Thanks callejera! I just saw your photos. That one is OUTSTANDING! Yes, West Ajijic is fine. Basically anything from (and including) La Floresta in the east to La Canacinta in the west.

I think I will periodically update the list from the first post as additional locations are identified. Thanks for the help.

second floor #4 restaurant and corner down main drag east/west thru San Antonio about 5 street, on a corner inbedded in the wall of course!

I walked by #4 today and didn't see a Virgen de Guadalupe representation on the exterior. Where is she hiding? If it's inside, it doesn't count. And if the second one is in San Antonio, it's beyond my self-imposed boundary.

I'm surprised more people haven't volunteered locations. We all know what she looks like, right? Thanks.

Im%C3%A1genes-de-la-Virgen-de-Guadalupe2

Hmmmm. I travel Guadalupe Victoria all the time and I have no idea where the "purple spa" is located. I was even on it today looking out for it and saw nothing. At any rate, I went out and took photos today. I found all the locations listed, plus a handful of others. As I was out there rubber-necking around town, she just started appearing here and there!

I don't know if you count the Virgins found in buildings but, if I remember correctly, there is a large one behind the altar of the little church on Ocampo near Six Corners. The name of the Church is Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe and they have a big procession on her feast day starting from there. I think that I even may have remembered seeing the painting taken down from the wall for the procession on that Feast. It could be that I was just hallucinating, though. I haven't been in that area since I moved to Chapala.

Archived