Chapala.com Webboard

Viva Mexico restraunt in San Juan Cosala

resort

Viva Mexico, open all day every day except Thursday. From the church in San Juan turn left and go 3 blocks. On the right.

Only if you are coming from the Lakeshore would you turn left. The restaurant is West of the Church, so if you had turned South from the Carretara, you would turn right at the Church.

I had the rose petal chicken today as did the friend I was with. It was delicious. It is an old Mexican recipe. The plate setting was lovely. Augustine will have this dish every day. It was only 65P.

He will have chamorro every Sunday. Tomorrow, Saturday, he will have Cornish hen but I don't know if that will be every Saturday.

You have to ask for the specials. His waiter did not present them. I had to ask Augustine about them as he came by. He is so willing to please and is very excited about the specials.

He said he had a stroke two years ago and so his memory had lost the recipes. He recently remembered them and is now bringing them back to life.

This is the same man and restaurant that served hundreds of free meals when the mountain slid down into the Racquet Club and San Juan Cosala. No one was turned away and those of us who volunteered and ate there were made to feel like honored guests.

Until some places like Costco helped him out he was paying for all his supplies himself.

Eight of us went to Viva Mexico for lunch at noon today, too early for chamorro, unfortunately, but everyone was grinning as they enjoyed a wide selection of dishes.

I had chiles en nogada and they were very nice. We'll all be back. The ambiance and the artwork, especially the mural of pre-hispanic San Juan Cosala, are great and the service and tableware perfect.

This is oneof our favorite places. The Chiles en Nogada is good and I appreciate the fact that I can get it all year round. They are also one of the only restaurants which can handle a table of 8 to 16 with smooth service. They cook well and they don't get flustered.

I cannot say enough about Augustin and Viva Mexico. Great food at reasonable prices and what a wonderful human being. His restaurant provided literally a couple of thousand meals to folks caught up in the maelstrom two years ago that affected Raquet Club and then slid down into San Juan Cosala proper. He had his family and workers out slogging around in the debris to help people annd provide food and clothing for the homeless.

A group of us went there last year and Augustin greeted us with the warning that it was Mexican National Reading Day, or something similar and maybe we would like to come back another time.

WE stayed. He had about 100-150 kids of all ages in his restaurant and they had all agreed to read a book. Their reward was free food, free sodas, and ovations and recognition from their peers as they spoke about their thoughts regarding the book that they had all read. Yes, it did go on for hours and we finally left, although mesmerized by what we had seen and the smiles that we saw from these beautiful kids, each enjoying their 15 minutes of fame thanks to Augustin.. As most of us know that live here, SJC is one of our porrest commumnities, rife with gangs, drugs, etc. Did I mention that Augustin created and did this all by himself, with no funds from anyone else? Just his love of the children and people of his small village. Wow.

To see what this one man has done is absolutely amazing. He is a living saint in SJC. Loved and respected by all.

Please go and meet him and enjoy his wonderful food and great hospitality HIs Chiles Nogales are exceptional and served year round, not just in September like other places.

Yup, absolutely adore Augustin, in case you haven't figured that out. Go and see for yourself.

""".. As most of us know that live here, SJC is one of our porrest commumnities, rife with gangs, drugs, etc.""""

Excuse me but I do not think that San Juan Cosala is any more rife with problems than other villages of equal size etc, around the lake...many of the village workers, mason etc., have been hit by the down turn in the home building industry..the up side for SJC is that many of the Maids and Gardeners have "good jobs" in the Raquet Club.

""".. As most of us know that live here, SJC is one of our porrest commumnities, rife with gangs, drugs, etc.""""

Excuse me but I do not think that San Juan Cosala is any more rife with problems than other villages of equal size etc, around the lake...many of the village workers, mason etc., have been hit by the down turn in the home building industry..the up side for SJC is that many of the Maids and Gardeners have "good jobs" in the Raquet Club.

You are excused. Wrong, but excused

Archived