Chapala.com Webboard

Computer Problem - Yahoo USA changed to Yahoo Mexico

Karlotta

This is the 3rd time in 4 weeks that my computer, for no reason at all, switched from Yahoo USA home page, to Yahoo Mexico. I have had Mike the computer guy come out twice already, unfortunately he is out of town until Monday. Anybody else having this problem with Yahoo home page?

Any ideas how to fix it? It's really beginning to upset me now.

Thanks

Karlotta: Yahoo probably has some random scanning of incoming ISP addresses and when it does and you are accessing Yahoo, Yahoo suddenly recognizes that you are in Mexico and tries to give you what you are presumed to want (but don't.) Using a virtual private network such as Strong, HMA, etc. pretty much eliminates the problem.

I believe that Yahoo and other sites like it (such as outlook.com) refresh their IP links regularly in a (poor) effort to track and prevent hack attacks, thus they are frequently renewing their country identifiers. And when they change any features of their web pages, the same thing. (As well as the cookie issues mentioned.)

If you get to the correct language page, you can set it as your Home Page and it will remain in your language of choice until the next major upgrade on their part. I do have lots of clients who have their web pages "zoomed in", and therefore cannot see the flag in the upper right.

Karlotta: Yahoo probably has some random scanning of incoming ISP addresses and when it does and you are accessing Yahoo, Yahoo suddenly recognizes that you are in Mexico and tries to give you what you are presumed to want (but don't.) Using a virtual private network such as Strong, HMA, etc. pretty much eliminates the problem.

yes, it has! I had problems to open my USA yahoo mail....because by default this computer and yahoo bring me to méxico, and I have to look for yahoo USA and then log in....it is a pain in the neck. Two months ago, they never let me to access to my other USA yahoo account. I had to open another....

Keep in mind that all websites know where we are by our IPs unless we use a VPN or some type of IP blocker. Most don't care; secure websites (https) use the info for a variety of reasons, but it is usually only Microsoft and Yahoo that cause these constant switcheroo problems. There is always a way around it without having to resort to VPN or blocking, though, and especially not having to get a new email address...!

Archived