Chapala.com Webboard

I've never seen or heard one but....

In my house at the coast they were common but here none. Lots of lizards outside here though.

I don't know if what I have are geckos, but that's what I call them. They aren't regular lizards as I'm used to from Florida. They are about the same size, but look and move differently. I set up those sticky rat traps for them or whack em with a fly swatter if I see them. Just looked up gecko online, and yes, I think what I have here are geckos.

I don't know if what I have are geckos, but that's what I call them. They aren't regular lizards as I'm used to from Florida. They are about the same size, but look and move differently. I set up those sticky rat traps for them or whack em with a fly swatter if I see them. Just looked up gecko online, and yes, I think what I have here are geckos.

Why would you kill them? They eat bugs and are very useful.

I don't understand why would you want to kill a gecko,unless it's first name was Gordon,they're harmless and they eat bugs.

PS,posted simultaneously with bournemouth.

In our house we occasionally see the very little ones, the kind that scurry away very fast. I usually manage to help them get outside one way or the other. I'd never whack or trap one. Why?

Only once, in another house, did we have a large lizard in our kitchen sink. Can't imagine how it got there. That one I actually picked up and put outside.

Lexy

Why would you kill a beneficial creature that is harmless to humans? I have seen them capture large cockroaches and other insects you don't want to have in your home. You might want to rethink that strategy.

BTW they have a great defense mechanism. They can drop their tails if a predator grabs it which allows them to escape. They grow a new one.

In our house we occasionally see the very little ones, the kind that scurry away very fast. I usually manage to help them get outside one way or the other. I'd never whack or trap one. Why?

Only once, in another house, did we have a large lizard in our kitchen sink. Can't imagine how it got there. That one I actually picked up and put outside.

Lexy

i do the same.

We visit a friend's house at the beach and she has a LOT of geckos in her house. They especially love the ceiling of the indoor/outdoor terrace. One night I think I counted 20 on her ceiling. So I know exactly what they sound and look like. I also know they're good little buggers. Haven't seen this one, but have heard it and it sounds just like a gecko. But this is the first time I've heard one since living here for six years. Nobody has very definitively answered the question, so I'll ask again.

Do geckos exist in this area? Thanks.

We visit a friend's house at the beach and she has a LOT of geckos in her house. They especially love the ceiling of the indoor/outdoor terrace. One night I think I counted 20 on her ceiling. So I know exactly what they sound and look like. I also know they're good little buggers. Haven't seen this one, but have heard it and it sounds just like a gecko. But this is the first time I've heard one since living here for six years. Nobody has very definitively answered the question, so I'll ask again.

Do geckos exist in this area? Thanks.

Well, the little geckos I mentioned that show up in my house in Villa Nova are geckos according to a website that shows pictures of them. There is a variety, but mine are geckos, too. These little guys can't be caught by their tails, as the tail comes off.

That larger lizard that was in my sink--don't remember its appearance well enough to label it a gecko.

Lexy

I have what I believe is a gecko that comes and goes through the clay ceiling tiles. They eat bugs but also poop a lot so you decide if that is a benefit or not. About four to five inches long, and as thick as a finger, I have seen them different colors.

According to my book two species are found in this general area.

A native species-commonly called the leaf-toed gecko;
http://www.iucnredlist.org/details/64046/0

The range map don't show it here but towards the coast.

An introduced species-common name house gecko;
http://reptile-database.reptarium.cz/species?genus=Hemidactylus&species=frenatus

Probably rare in Jalisco. It is mostly coastal in Mexico.

Lots of people seem to be wondering why I would kill geckos, so I'll happily tell you. Because they shit everywhere. They shit on my walls, they shit on my doorjambs, they shit on pretty much any protruding surface including, most unforgivingly, my kitchen counters. Not sure what you put up with in a house guest, but that tips the scales for me. Come on over and eat all the bugs you want, but the moment you take a dump on my counter I'm kicking you out of the house as well.

Okay, you've explained why you don't want them in your house and would be "kicking out" such guests.

Would you explain why you feel the need to kill them?

We had batshit on our terrazza; on the tables, chairs......everywhere. We got an upright lamp with an energy efficient bulb, turned it on at night and.......no more batshit. There may well be non-lethal ways to keep the gecko's out of your kitchen, too. Could be an interesting bit of research.

Lots of people seem to be wondering why I would kill geckos, so I'll happily tell you. Because they shit everywhere. They shit on my walls, they shit on my doorjambs, they shit on pretty much any protruding surface including, most unforgivingly, my kitchen counters. Not sure what you put up with in a house guest, but that tips the scales for me. Come on over and eat all the bugs you want, but the moment you take a dump on my counter I'm kicking you out of the house as well.

So do cockroaches and they breed much faster and are very difficult to eradicate if you get an infestation. Plus karma is a perra.

Our gecko visitor stopped coming into the bathroom the day after my wife hung up a colorful mobile. It will move slightly because of the gaps in the tile roof allows air movement, just the slightest bit of movement, but the gecko doesn't like it at all. The mobile has very colorful fish on it and the gecko must see it as a threat because he has vacated that room.

No cockroaches, because I use that Ajax product and an exterminator. I kill the geckos rather than taking them outside because they are entirely too elusive and I can't catch them. I've tried in the past, as I was always rather fond of lizards, having lived in Florida for many years. So, unable to catch them, and unwilling to allow them to continue to soil my home, I've resorted to killing them.

The practical answer, no matter what the book says, we do not have geckos in our houses here in Ajijjic or at Lakeside.

We do have plenty of small lizards outside in the garden and on the walls. I even have a large Iguana that suns on the back wall.

The only time the lizards were in the house was when the cat brought them in.

Archived