Chapala.com Webboard

TOURIST CARD PAYMENT

When we were driving home, we went to turn in our tourist card at the border immigration office. The man wanted to charge us $50 each to cancel the card. I told him I paid for the card when I got it and did not know there was a payment to cancel the card. I thought he was trying to rip me off and finally he just waved us on but kept the cards. Is there a Tourist card payment to leave the Country?

No, nor is there a cost for the FMM either arriving or departing.

Not necessarily true. The fee is a tax called the Derecho de no inmigrante and is usually included in your airplane taxes (Code UK). If entering by land you will need to pay the fee at a bank or else they will not stamp your card and you will need to show the receipt if you change from tourist to another immigration status (only applicable to changes for marriage to a Mexican or foreigner with a visa).

You need to pay in order to have them stamp and enter the tourist card in the system.

Also yes temporales and permanentes should check the disclosure of airline taxes paid as they as well as Mexican nationals do not have to pay the tax the airline is withholding for and it should be refunded to the traveler.

I'm not sure I follow this. You have the "option" of paying, or not paying? If you do not pay, and are a tourist, you can enter and leave the country, as a tourist,without any problems anywhere? Every time I have entered as a tourist, they have told me to pay (about $26.50 USD) when I pay my $300USD car deposit. Never have I been given an "option". TIA

Every crossing does not have a bank. or bank may be closed, or, or .....

You can pay at any bank a few days or weeks later

Every crossing does not have a bank. or bank may be closed, or, or .....

You can pay at any bank a few days or weeks later

And, if you forget to pay?

Archived