Chapala.com Webboard

investment houses

gog4kitty

Read several but still couldn't find what I needed. Will start a new thread.

Who does investment banking lakeside besides actinver? what are there phone #'s?

I don't know if this will help you, but unless you need a lot of handholding, have you considered an online account with Charles Schwab. You have to have a US address I think but there are a lot of advantages to Charles Schwab like a visa card that has no charges for ATM withdrawals anywhere in the world. Check it out. I don't have any vested interest except I myself have been a Schwab IRA investor for many moons.

I have investments in u.s. I need a place for investments here where I can also deposit my u.s. checks and get pesos, mismo Actinver but had it with Actinver.

Lakeside is limited to what you have already heard about so I won't add to it. Try HSBC Premier, across from Andares on Plaza Andares, they allow you to manage your funds online and access US/Canada based funds from Mexico. They have investment bankers for advice but have got around recent changes in the law by offering only self directed services. It is the best solution I have found yet. Be warned there is a stiff minimum balance.

I suggest opening the premier account NOB and a regular account at the local HSBC who has a manager dedicated to the premier customer. Do this until Mexico insitutes the direly needed checks and balances to their own banking-investment system - or lack of it. Otherwise risk everything you have worked for by moving your investments here. You are protected even less here than you are NOB. Mexico does not have the same investment banking culture - the good news is that is slowly changing.

Manage your investment based NOB from here and just transfer what you need to live on meantime.

Alternative, visit Franklin McKenzie, also near Andares - Patria side of Hospital Puerto de Hierro. Don't know them but researched them, they are a big US based firm licensed in Mexico, one of the few to recognize that you need to be licensed in Mexico to offer such services. That is a plus and is the way of the furture. Not sure if they offer the flexibility you are likely looking for. Do your own due diligence. Good luck and do not move your money here until Mexico makes a much much more investor friendly environment. They are working on it.

Given that you wish to have some investment in a foreign country....the elephant in the room is the exchange rate..what maybe attractive investment return in pesos can and has been greatly reduced when it comes to changing back to dollars..remember if you are buying air line tickets, going on a cruise, etc etc all priced in dollars

Investment people here may have little training and there is no licensing, they may lie to you and sell you bad investments and you may have little to no real recourse except spend big $$$ to fight and try to get your money back. Keep this in mind when transferring money from a country where people are licensed and there are easier ways to recover your funds.

Archived