Chapala.com Webboard

Today protests for 43 students begin in Mexico & World

Oldyfeliz

This to me is a bizarre case,I understand that the "normalistas" have been considered by the governtment to be subversives and are often seen by the general population in a negative light,but what could possibly be the motive and thinking behind this crime?

Too bad the mayor of Iguala and his wife aren't available for comment.

What schools?

My son went to school today in Guadalajara and he'll be going again tomorrow.

2PM news today showed video of some UNIVERSITIES closed in the DF and students waitng to march from the "Angel" on Paseo de la Reforma to the Zócalo at 5PM today. They have arranged 600 pólice to patrol the event. Not schools per se.

The disappearance of these 43 students is one of the most reprehensible events of Mexico's recent history, equaled only by the 1968 Tlatelolco massacre. If you don't remember or don't know about Tlatelolco, here's a refresher: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tlatelolco_massacre

Many private and public citizens believe that the government itself is responsible for the disappearance and presumed massacre of these 43 normalistas (teacher's college students).

Padre Solalinde says that he has information about where the students were taken and how they were killed: burned alive on a mass funeral pyre.

Today Elena Poniatowska said, "Cuál es el futuro en un país donde el Estado mata a sus estudiantes?" ("What is the future of a country where the state kills its students?")

Todos somos Ayotzinapa.

For those of you here is the follow up from el padre who met with the government yesterday.

he basically says that the government is aware the sudents were burned and that it is their remains

that were found in one of the mass graves.

Guerrero may be far from Chapala but Michoacan is not and this event is a total disgrace for Mexico.

El gobierno sabe que los 43 normalistas fueron quemados: Solalinde

Las autoridades saben que en las fosas donde han encontrado restos calcinados pertenecen a los normalistas

“Ayer me confirmaron que todos los normalistas fueron quemados", afirmó el padre Alejandro Solalinde. Relató que ayer un testigo le dijo que los 43 normalistas de Ayotzinapa desaparecidos fueron colocados en fosas con tablas de madera, diesel y fueron quemados.

De acuerdo con el informe que el testigo platicó a Solalinde, los normalistas, algunos heridos fueron obligados realizar una larga caminata para después dejarlos sin vida.

La noche del viernes 26 de septiembre y madrugada del 27 normalistas de Ayotzinapa fueron atacados por policías municipales en Iguala, Guerreo con tiroteos y 43 de ellos continúan desaparecidos, de acuerdo a las autoridades.

“El Estado Mexicano primero los tiroteó, los atacó como si fueran criminales, los asesinaron”. Afirmó que los familiares lo saben y lo están asimilando "ayer alguien me dijo "los queremos vivos o muertos pero los queremos", confirmó Solalinde.

En cuanto a los informes de la PGR, donde asegura que los cuerpos encontrados recientemente en fosas clandestinas no son de los normalistas, el sacerdote retó a la institución a que encuentre con vida a los normalistas y demuestre que miente. Aseveró que la identificación de los cadáveres resulta imposible y habría que hablar con el equipo argentino forense y con la policía comunitaria que han sido obstaculizados por las autoridades en su búsqueda.

En entrevista con Carmen Aristegui, indicó que las autoridades saben que en las fosas donde han encontrado restos calcinados pertenecen a los normalistas y dio a conocer que este lunes entregará a la Procuraduría General de la República (PGR) su declaración y este jueves se reunirá con su titular, Jesús Murillo Karam.

Además Solalinde comentó que ayer 12 autobuses con normalistas y familiares acudieron a una misa en la Basílica de Guadalupe, sin embargo no fueron mencionados en la Homilía, lo que desagradó bastante y algunos se salieron.

"El gobierno tan corrupto y simulador, se ha convertido en una verdadera amenaza para su pueblo". Ayotzinapa vino a destapar la corrupción, cómo les importa tan poco el dolor de familias y sí les importa la rapiña electoral, opinó.

Ya sabíamos que había represión contra los jóvenes, dijo Solalinde desde el primero de diciembre que tomó protesta Enrique Peña Nieto ya había golpeados, pero "estoy muy preocupado, porque esto rebasa todo”, afirmó Solalinde.

Many private and public citizens believe that the government itself is responsible for the disappearance and presumed massacre of these 43 normalistas (teacher's college students)

I still don't understand what the federal government would have to gain by committing this massacre,if in fact they were behind it,the PRD mayor of Iguala and his narco connected wife are fugitives,they might be able to shed some light on it.

Marching from the Ángel to the Zócalo in the DF... Here's a link to keep abreast of the march: http://www.eluniversal.com.mx/noticias.html There are protests planned in various cities in the USA as well as in European and South American countries. This situation is a national shame, a scandal of the worst order.

Cbviajero, if I had a crystal ball, I could answer your questions. However, one theory being bandied about in the media is that the government is eager to close the rural teachers' colleges and this horrible, unconscionable event might...oh god, I have no idea. It's so terribly sad that talking about it is difficult for me. Others say that the mayor of Iguala and his wife, known narcotraficantes, are to blame. We 'little people' will probably never know.

Todos somos Ayotzinapa.

Whether the federal government had a direct hand in it or not, they are at least indirectly responsible for their toleration of the local governments that are completely in the control of the disgustingly malevolent and immoral cartels and their puppet regimes. Gobernacion knows exactly what goes on in these municipalities and chooses to maintain the status quo for reasons incomprehensible to the rest of the country.

If this goes unresolved or is resolved in the same manner as past issues of this magnitude and does not bring about fundamental change here then there is really no hope for the future of this country without major upheaval. Everyone I know is ashamed, disgusted, angry and afraid. I have even heard people, normally quite conservative politically, voice tacit approval over the rumors of diverse insurgent groups rearming. People have their limits and they might soon be reached.

From Day One of the pseudo-investigation of this situation, I have constantly been reminded of the equally pseudo-investigation of the 2009 fire at Hermosillo's Guardería ABC. We're 6.5 years down the road from that one and not one inch closer to knowing anything.

Todos somos Ayotzinapa.

Gobernacion knows exactly what goes on in these municipalities and chooses to maintain the status quo for reasons incomprehensible to the rest of the country.

If they know that much they must also know what "Plata o Plomo!!!" means to these one time 3 year mayors in small cities and towns and their administration.

If they know that much they must also know what "Plata o Plumo!!!" means to these one time 3 year mayors in small cities and towns and their administration.

Yeah, that's an internet secret. Don't be so naive. There is little Gobernacion doesn't know. They have their own "halcones" and other intelligence gathering apparatus that keep them on top of the situation. Many low level political leaders were dirty before they even got "elected". They got the job because someone in power wanted them to have it. How many state governors have been indicted? Do you think they weren't willing accomplices? Army generals?

There is only one thing that motivates politicians in this country. Greed.

And btw, it's plomo not plumo.

Bottom line: this is Mexico and life will go on as always. Nothing will change, but there will be lots of talk, promises, some (a few) heads will roll, but all will be the Mexican Smoke, and then back to the normal siesta time. Nothing ever changes here. This is how the PRI has run the country for nearly a century. Even before the PRI, life was very similar.

As Presidente Antonio Lopez De Santa Anna said back in the 1800s, " it is very true that I threw up my cap for liberty with great ardor, and perfect sincerity, but very soon found the folly of it. A hundred years to come my people will not be fit for liberty. They do not know what it is, unenlightened as they are, and under the influence of a Catholic clergy, a despotism is the proper government for them, but there is no reason why it should not be a wise and virtuous one."

Re bmh:

I suspect that everybody in Iguala knew that the mayor and his wife were narcos. How could they not? When I lived in Morelia, it was an open 'secret' that the then-governor was head of La Familia. Everybody knew it, and everybody turned a blind eye.

And please, don't take the news that 'the PRD apologized' etc at face value. There is no such thing as face value in Mexico. The layers go deep.

If this goes unresolved or is resolved in the same manner as past issues of this magnitude and does not bring about fundamental change here then there is really no hope for the future of this country without major upheaval. Everyone I know is ashamed, disgusted, angry and afraid. I have even heard people, normally quite conservative politically, voice tacit approval over the rumors of diverse insurgent groups rearming. People have their limits and they might soon be reached.

Maybe I'm missing something but I don't see the general population rising up in arms over this tragedy.Frankly it never ceases to amaze me how much blatant lawlessness,impunity and corruption the Mexican people put up with and while there are protests all the time nothing much seems to change.

Archived