Chapala.com Webboard

Need help hooking up old VCR player to New Televisison

J.Miller

We finally broke down and replaced our old television a couple of months ago and since then we have not been able to figure out how to hook up the VCR so that we can watch a movie now and again.

We have Star Choice and the cable screws into the receiver for that and an out cable goes into the television, BUT there is only one receptacle for a cable and so hooking the DVD player directly into the television is not an option. Can anyone give me some "not too technical advice" on how to accomplish this or do we need to also update our VCR?

Boxing Day is our traditional do nothing, eat left overs and watch movies and since that day is fast approaching, and we have many movies that we have not seen, it would be nice to be able to participate fully in our traditional day of absolute sloth in front of the tube.

We've got some pretty new TVs over here and they all have provision for composite input. Can you post the name and model number of that TV?

Composite input uses RCA plugs. The video input is yellow, the audio inputs are white and red.

I didn't think anyone was using VCRs these days. You are talking about a video tape recorder?

It is actually a Magnavox DVD/VHS player that can play either format and we are able to play movies on the new television if we want to go the trouble of unscrewing the Star Choice cable from the television and replacing that cable with one directly from the DVD player but it means pulling the television stand out to get at it and is a pain in the . . . .

I was hoping for something I could set up and leave for all time so that we can easily access either Star Choice or DVD player. The new television is Hisense series K20D. I am sure that it can be done and it is quite possible that our failure has been tackling it at the end of the day when are brains are addled. Maybe it is one of those morning chores!

If your TV is new, it should have HDMI input plugs. If so, you can plug your DVD player into an HDMI plug with an HDMI cord, which may have been included with the DVD player. Then, with your TV remote, you can use “INPUT“ to select the appropriate HDMI source. If the DVD player is turned on, it will appear on the TV.

Easiest method. You need a third cable.

First cable from dish goes into the Shaw receiver. This is how it is connected now. Output Channel 3

OUT cable from the Shaw goes into the VCR (vhs assumed) not the TV,

Third cable from VCR to TV. Output to Ch 3.

Pop a tape into the vcr. Play tape and watch the movie on your tv. You can also record this way.

Archived