Chapala.com Webboard

Tamale night?

dixonge

We will be returning to Ajijic in a couple of weeks. I won't miss the cold and rain of San Cristobal, but I already miss tamale night, where lots of local homes put a pink/red light out front and sell home-made tamales from the front door.

Is there anything like that in Ajijic?

Gloria Torres at Gloria's Café in El Chante makes great Tamales. Gloria lived in the US for a number of years so she speaks English.

She is located at Morelos # 198 in El Chante. She makes tamales by special order. You can reach he by telephone at 01-387-763-1795 or her cel is 331-738-9361. Her card says they deliver. GREAT TAMALES!

One of the ladies who worked at Hole in the Wall before it closed now sells tamales on Saturday evenings starting about 5:00. Her home is located diagonally across the street from the former Hole in the Wall location on Hidalgo. It is the corner house with the cross sculpture on its corner. Her name is Lucia and her phone number is 108-0795. Her tamales are similar to the ones formerly sold at Hold in the Wall. She usually has various kinds.

I live in San Cristobal and Ajijic and you will not find anything like that in Ajijic. The tamales from

San Cristobal put the Lakeside tamales to shame.We also have a lot of different people who make them so over he years you get to know your favorite from al over town. It is a real fun tradition.

WHen in Ajiic I ge my tamales from a lady from Oaxaca and thiose tamales are also very good.Her name is Sana and she sels hers in Guadalajara and to some people who know about her.They are different from the

Coletas but they are delicious

Tonight there is chipichi and it is cold but we have a big fire in the firepace and arre having margarita and tamales de asafran y de mole, life could not be better.

• 4 weeks later...

BMH...

tamales de asafran y mole! Almost makes me want to move back.....

almost :)

Our apartment didn't have a fireplace, unfortunately. But when we did have one it was an a large, drafty European-styled house and only helped if you were right in front of it. It also used a TON of leña.

Thank you everyone for your assistance. I'm sure I can find something to tide me over from your tips. Gracias!

Archived