Chapala.com Webboard

Catrinas on the Chapala malecon

What is a Catrina? Might help me decide if this is something I would like to go see...

It is a Mexican tradition for Dia de Los Muertos (Day of the dead). There will also be a great display in Chapala Nov. 1 & 2 All Saints Day and All Souls Day for several blocks I think on Zaragoza. It is also a time when families decorate the graves of their loved ones and meet on these days in the Panteón to celebrate their lives. This is also something to see. Nov.1 in the Panteón is the day for the children and Nov. 2 is the day for the adults.

Nericatrin3.jpg

For those that haven't come out yet to see the Catrinas on the Chapala malecon, they are still there and definitely should not be missed. The altares for the Dia de los Muertos in Chapala are every year on 5 de Mayo street. It is scheduled to take place on Sunday Night, last year they divided them and placed half of them on the Malecon in front of the Beer Garden but the other half was still on 5 de Mayo. Not exactly sure what the plans are for this year, but be sure to check out both places, it will most surely be an unforgettable experience.

It is a Mexican tradition for Dia de Los Muertos (Day of the dead). There will also be a great display in Chapala Nov. 1 & 2 All Saints Day and All Souls Day for several blocks I think on Zaragoza. It is also a time when families decorate the graves of their loved ones and meet on these days in the Panteón to celebrate their lives. This is also something to see. Nov.1 in the Panteón is the day for the children and Nov. 2 is the day for the adults.

Nericatrin3.jpg

This is a good explanation of the history of the Catrina, which originally was not associated with the Day of the Dead. Juan Torres Calderon is the artisan who started making ceramic Catrinas in the town of Capula, Michoacan, which now is the center of production of Catrinas like the one shown above. http://www.mexicoartshow.com/torresjuan.html

Archived