Chapala.com Webboard

Good Move or Not

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm with Border Crosser. I've lived here for 7 years and feel like I've barely wet my beak. I do go back once a year to visit my elderly Mom. Each visit confirms to me why I moved down. In comparison, life here is so much easier, more colourful, and more interesting (not to say less expensive). Everything north of the border always feels so bland and homogenised while at the same time being rushed and stressful. Up there, everywhere is anywhere--the same chain stores and clogged streets no matter where you go. Not so in Sunny Mexico.

I'm with Border Crosser. I've lived here for 7 years and feel like I've barely wet my beak. I do go back once a year to visit my elderly Mom. Each visit confirms to me why I moved down. In comparison, life here is so much easier, more colourful, and more interesting (not to say less expensive). Everything north of the border always feels so bland and homogenised while at the same time being rushed and stressful. Up there, everywhere is anywhere--the same chain stores and clogged streets no matter where you go. Not so in Sunny Mexico.

What he said. And the weather. Our inlaws are either heating or cooling. Sometimes in the same week.

No thanks.

Oh, and Harley, the riding is great here although I recommend more of a dual sport ride than a cruiser because the roads are more variable. I'm riding a BMW Roadster, going out tomorrow as a matter of fact.

Guest bennie2

the food prices here are the same in the supermarket/outdoor markets. @ home i can have do phone orders. i have many tango kind of places when i go home, they deliever. &beautiful churches museums. there is no discussions (& never were) of banking, electricity cards, power outages, maids, garbage, streetlights, sidewalks, crime. i switch into a different mode. kind of weird when your friends think all of mexico is 5star resorts, beaches cabanas & nightclubs. useless to remind them otherwize as they are one trick ponies. i do tell them mexico has amazing bread which i havnt seen@ home, & some good drs. & dentists. i dont get into the topics mentioned as they cant relate. when im home i leave the mundane behind, take advantage of the ease & service. when i moved here i hadnt been here in a while, i never thought i would see boxstores stripmalls, or even parking lots. it was surprise, as im not used to it (here OR there). this thread is a yippy yi yoe thread. kind of different from the usual complaints. thought i would add some controversy, which is easy to pulloff around here. doesnt take much for an explosion. have fun!

I like it here, but do have 2 homes so get to get away to the city and then also have the calm of the lake. I have traveled extensively so adaptation is easy. I do miss being able to drive a nice convertible along the beach and snowboarding and shooting but then you cannot have it all. Cost of living is cheap and life is more relaxed with plenty to do very close by.

Some people are unhappy but many of those seem to be the ones who were going to live in the poor house in the US, desert (or BFE) or Mexico so they picked Mexico and perhaps their forced choice left them bitter.

Some people are unhappy but many of those seem to be the ones who were going to live in the poor house in the US, desert (or BFE) or Mexico so they picked Mexico and perhaps their forced choice left them bitter.

Brilliant observation, true and well stated!

I like it here, but do have 2 homes so get to get away to the city and then also have the calm of the lake. I have traveled extensively so adaptation is easy. I do miss being able to drive a nice convertible along the beach and snowboarding and shooting but then you cannot have it all. Cost of living is cheap and life is more relaxed with plenty to do very close by.

Some are bitter & unhappy wherever they are. :unsure:

27+ years for 3-5 months a year. Love our other homes and friends but it has always been a joy to come back HOME. Huge changes since we first bought here but in the scheme of things they were all inevitable. Still love our time here but is impossible to account for what I did and where the day went??

Even with all the recent issues with Permante, automobile issues, and other B/S we still love our time here and the general attitude of the local residents. Viva Mexico

And HookEmHorns, if anyone posts negative comments or says he wishes he had not moved here, everyone will dump on him. This is supposed to be paradise and if you don't think it is paradise then you are negative, telling others they are wrong, or as Spencer said you are poor with other things that are wrong with you. You are not allowed to go against the beliefs of the crowd without being a total loser, so, yes, people who are not happy will not post that.

Much depends where you live. Of my clients, one is unhappy living in a pueblo, less expensive nice home near the lake by San Jun Cosala and there are gang members and drug dealers that keep vandalizing and breaking into her home. Some people want the "Mexican" experience but live in poor areas where even Mexicans with some money would not buy. In the US or Canada you would not move to a poor area so why here? Perhaps due to budget you have restrictions but there are still places maybe a bit farther out that are not in the ghetto.

Even then you have gringos who poison animals and who are nuts. Rent first as you never know who might be the bad neighbor.

A safe bet may be to live where the locals with money live but then again, how will you know and can you afford it?

Guest bennie2

spencers correct about location. it makes all the difference. what people dont understand is that the US is also about location & lifestyle. there is nothing homongenized about where i lived in the US, it is changing unfortunatly. about the poorhouse, well anyone can live in a poor mex area, there are 1000s of them in the US, even in warm climates. as for convenience there is NO comparism. the chapala area is not service oriented. im lucky i worked out some secret delievery systems. im used to picking up the phone. joco is very right: there were well to do/middleclass folks here who left. i knew many of them. they were able to sell or rent out. or they always had rentals here, it was easier. i notice in very high end places no one cares what anyone thinks or does. somehow people here need constant validation. this is a small town americana mentality. who really cares what someone else thinks? only if you need to unload a property (then you should care). other than that what difference does it make? "one mans meat is another mans poison" (or ones mans meat is bennies "so what")??

Archived