Chapala.com Webboard

Length of time to process Permanente in high season?

Sarita

I'm going Permanente this coming winter- 5 years- and wondering if anyone can relate their experience with length of time it took from submitting the application in Chapala, until receiving their card. It would be in February, so pretty much middle of high season when volume is high and waits are longest. Any feedback appreciated! Thanks.

Try to 2 to three months. They are getting quicker and fewer people are coming down and many already are permanente.

When I applied for my permanente in May at Spencer's office, Denise told me there had just been a rule change and INM would only accept one's application within one week of expiration of your temporal. So... if my temporal expired on June 8, the earliest they would let me apply was June 1. Now, that doesn't mean the rules haven't changed again, but if they haven't, you have very little choice about when you apply. I think you used to be able to apply any time before your expiration date.

Application could be made up to 30 days prior to the expiration date on your visa in the past. This is the first I have heard of any changes. Is this something the new jefe in Chapala has decided on his own?

Who knows. The local INM office seems to make up its own rules. When we went Permanente, we did it in Guadalajara, since they were not confused or stressed and it was a piece of cake. Chapala was doing things a bit differently, for some reason.

Yes, new rules, before you could go from temporary to permanent if you completed the 4 years from 30 days to expiration until 6 months after expiration, now they only allow it a week before expiration. Could change next month though, who knows, always trying to keep us on our toes!

That assumes they send file right away and pick up cards promptly which rarely happens. Quick for them is 5 to 6 weeks

We were thrilled when our Permanentes took only 7 weeks at the Guadalajara INM offices. We expected it to take longer. Meanwhile, others have waited longer; much longer. As Spencer (Intercasa) says, “It is getting better“, but it seems that there is just no way to out-guess the system.

Archived