Chapala.com Webboard

New Restaurant- Mama's Kitchen

maw7815

Ad in today's Guad Reporter.

Mama's Kitchen located where Bubba's & Thors was in Riberas

Opening Sept 8th

Breakfast & Lunches (organic eggs available)

Free Organic Tequila Shot with your meal.

New Menu

Hours 8-5pm

Another place to try. Thanks for the informatin.

Now, what is a "non organic" shot of tequila???

"Mama's Kitchen located where Bubba's & Thors was in Riberas."

O.K. I give up. Just where were Bubba's & Thors? As a newbie, I haven't a clue to arcane directions. :wacko:

O.k., so we went to Mama's Kitchen for lunch today just to see what the deal is .... the waitress that has been there since it was Bubba's is back working and one of the cooks that has been there forever. Apparently a Mexican gentleman who works with CFE has re-opened the restaurant and hired the old staff.

The food was very good ... we had chicken fried chicken, mashed potatoes and one of us had steamed veggies and the other had coleslaw. Of course, there was the chicken gravy, biscuit and honey and iced tea. The food was excellent and our meal was $90.00 each plus the tea at I believe $15.00 each. Fresh salsa and chips were served while we were waiting.

The menu is varied with several fish, shrimp, chicken, steak, etc. dishes. They serve breakfast also with real hashbrowns :) which I can't wait to have. All the prices were very reasonable.

I am so very glad to have these choices back again. They will also be serving chicken fried steak in the near future and are looking into having fried catfish again.

Please give them a try again and help them make it over the hump. The food is much worth it.

Gringal, they do have fish and chicken and salad and soup and many things that are not necessarily considered artery hardening. If you frequent any other restaurants here that are not just vegetarian then you can probably find something at Mama's Kitchen that would pass muster. We don't eat the fried things all the time but do like to have fried chicken and fish once in a while. This cook does the fried fish and chicken very well ... the breading isn't heavy and dripping with grease. Very glad to have a variety depending on how we feel any particular day.

I had breakfast there Monday morning. The veggie omelette was great. All the ingredients were fresh. You can also have fruit in place of the hash browns. I used to go to Bubbas for breakfast occasionally, and the existing standard unfortunately never approached this. A couple of other people were there at the time having hamburgers which they said were also quite good. I recommend you give it a try. I don't think you will be disappointed.

I had breakfast there Monday morning. The veggie omelette was great. All the ingredients were fresh. You can also have fruit in place of the hash browns. I used to go to Bubbas for breakfast occasionally, and the existing standard unfortunately never approached this. A couple of other people were there at the time having hamburgers which they said were also quite good. I recommend you give it a try. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Now, that veggie omelet sounds good. Will definitely give it a try. As for the fried foods...they don't agree with me, even on an occasional basis. I'm always sorry when I slip up and go for fish and chips. Maybe you need to start eating fried stuff as a kid to have it work for you. My mama baked, broiled or boiled.

Well, Bubba's fried stuff was consistently disgusting, but my Mom loved all of it. I'm a big fan (sadly) of fried chicken and the like, but I couldn't stomach anything his cook made. If the new place offers the same things, I hope they do them right. Having the same two chefs does not bode well. When we try it, we will order some of the other items.

Eric, we were there again today but I did not read your post in time to find out the answer to your questions. The waitress that has been there for a very long time is back but I have to confess I do not remember her name. We had requested catfish and they had it when we were there today. Our meal was again, cooked to our satisfaction and very fresh. The mixed vegetables were fresh and the "small" salad was also fresh and not just lettuce. The small salad had romaine, tomatoes, avocado, carrots, and red bell peppers today. Next time we go we will ask about grits if that has not been answered by that time. I do believe this is our new "go to" restaurant. :)

In the building housing Putitan Poultry.

Across from Have Hammers.

One block west of 7-11 in Riberas.

Next to the pool.

I've run out of "arcania"....

Well-arcaned, Trucker. Folks understand my point, I hope; otherwise, this and TOB are unusable by newbies.

Yeehaw, grits be back! The waitress today (Tuesday) was Betty (the engineering student). I didn't think to ask her if the other waitress (Jossie) and her were doing the split week thing. Grits,eggs, and biscuits were the same but the bacon was different (not bad just not the same). I also had raw sugar with my coffee. Very nice to have this breakfast option back.

I finally had a chance to hit Mama's Kitchen today. I needed to see for myself.

I started with a very lovely bowl of Sopa Azteca, presented properly with all the right accoutrements. It's the thinner caldo variety of tortilla soup. This soup deserves a much better presentation bowl, though, to go along with the nicely-placed charred chiles, soft and ripe avocado slices, cream and home-made tortilla strips (that happily refused to sink).

I also was quite pleased to see that agua frescas are available, and only 15 pesos, which for a sit-down restaurant is an excellent price. Today was guayaba, or guava. Very nice.
Service was discreet and nice, and then everything came to a halt. It took an inordinate amount of time to bring me my meal.

The plate arrived with slaw, mashed potatos with white gravy, and the fried chicken (I thought I better order it, even though I had said earlier I would not, to compare it with my last memories of Grumpy Ed's chicken.) I got the fried, and not the chicken-fried chicken (which is boneless, and perhaps a different batter).The menu offers two pieces of dark or two pieces of white for five pesos more, which is fair, but I shook things up and asked for one of each.

The slaw was competent. The rest, however... tasteless mashed potatos, and an extremely bland and lumpy white gravy. Bob Evans would turn over in his grave. The chicken itself had that off-putting taste redolent of old and slightly burnt cooking oil . The batter was cooked through, but really not to my liking, and the chicken was juicy, although the leg was still bloody at the bone. Goodly-sized pieces. As I ate I started to get that greasy, burned feeling all over, and had to give up.

The bill came to $135 before tip, which seems reasonable for what I ordered... but while I will go back to try other dishes, I would not do the fried chicken again. (80 for chicken, 40 for soup, 15 for agua fresca.)

Archived