Chapala.com Webboard

Favorite White Wine

JKL

Gato Negro is decent and low priced here. I would enjoy other recommendations, white and red. Life is too short to drink lousy wine! Price is not necessarily a recommendation here, especially as the local stores do not keep their wine bottles horizontal, so the more expensive wines tend to have decayed corks. But maybe that is because I shop at Paz?

SOME Paz wines are old, most are not. Las Moras Sauvignon Blance is excellent and very food friendly. Alma Mora Pinot Grigio (by the same maker) is very nice. Both are inexpensive at PAZ. Our "standard" red is Veille Ferme, a GSM blend, we get at Costco. You can get boxes of 6 Las Moras there every inexpensively.

I only buy Chardonnays so I can't comment on the other whites. I also shop at Paz exclusively. Lots of inventory and good prices.

Astíca is about the cheapest that is actually quite good for the price. I think better than Gato Negro for what that's worth.

The Crane Lake whites at 106 pesos are also a pretty good value.

Viu Manet costs a little bit more and to me has a little more body than the other 2. It also has a screw top which is a plus.

For a little change of pace the Chambrule Champagne is quite good at 98 pesos. It's quite refreshing on a warm day. Not sweet at all.

Chilean chardonnay's just don't have the same flavor as the California wines. If money was no object my all time favorite Chardonnay is Rombauer, but north of $40US it's no longer worth it.

Regardless of which wine you like or where you buy it, I always shop at a store that handles the wine properly. For instance, are the bottles stored in sunlight standing up? I wouldn't buy from that store. I prefer a vendor who stores wine in a darkened room on their sides so that the cork doesn't dry out.

That said, I like the Kirkland Pinot Grigio. I don't drink red wine, but my husband like the Rioja El Circulo, FWIW.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

My favorites are German from the Rhine region, like Gewertaminer (sp)

Have you tried Castillo del Rhin from Baja?

Regardless of which wine you like or where you buy it, I always shop at a store that handles the wine properly. For instance, are the bottles stored in sunlight standing up? I wouldn't buy from that store. I prefer a vendor who stores wine in a darkened room on their sides so that the cork doesn't dry out.

That said, I like the Kirkland Pinot Grigio. I don't drink red wine, but my husband like the Rioja El Circulo, FWIW.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

Don't worry about the cork, it takes over two years for them to dry out. Most wines are made to be consumed by age two.

With asian foods and with foie gras: Cune's semidulce is my new favorite. Sure wish I could find Conundrum here.

Second the wish for Conundrum! It's widely distributed and moderately priced. Maybe we should talk with the folks a Paz.

Don't worry about the cork, it takes over two years for them to dry out. Most wines are made to be consumed by age two.

Not necessarilly correct, El Saltos! Sounds like you could use a refresher course in wine education.....I happen to know a master wine sommelier who is looking into teaching individuals and restaurant staff!

I do not see anything to object to what el Saltos said and I sure would no judge him on what he said as

he is 100% correct. Most wines are made to be consummed within 2 years . That is he economics of the wine business at the lower end. No need to take a course from a master sommelier to know that.

Not necessarilly correct, El Saltos! Sounds like you could use a refresher course in wine education.....I happen to know a master wine sommelier who is looking into teaching individuals and restaurant staff!

You just got a warning for being snarky on another topic today. What's your problem?

Archived