Chapala.com Webboard

Best Way to find Rentals

I’m new to this site.  I’m getting very antsy about retiring to the Chapala area.  I’m hoping that I can last 1 more year at work and that will put me at 55.  I will have a decent pension in the mid $40k range.   I have 2 dogs, one huge and another small.  I’m hoping to possibly fly down next month to scout the area out for just 2-3 days.    I will eventually make the long drive from SoCal next October. Obviously, I’ll want to have a rental in place prior to that. Can someone tell me the best way to find a nice rental that permits  dogs? I,ll likely want a 2 br unit in a desirable location.  I imagine that I can get a very decent rental in a good area around other gringos for $1500 (or much less).  Should I contact a realty agency or just drive around looking for rental signs?  If a realtor is suggested, does anyone have a good recommendation?  Also, is it suggested that I visit the chapala society or other group when visiting? 

I have many more questions but I’ll save them for another posting..  Thanks for any help!

7 minutes ago, King Knish said:

I’m new to this site.  I’m getting very antsy about retiring to the Chapala area.  I’m hoping that I can last 1 more year at work and that will put me at 55.  I will have a decent pension in the mid $40k range.   I have 2 dogs, one huge and another small.  I’m hoping to possibly fly down next month to scout the area out for just 2-3 days.    I will eventually make the long drive from SoCal next October.........

There are a couple of ways to find rentals.... a realtor, property manager, local 'billboards', and just walking around. The only problem IMO is that one will not be able 'this summer' to secure a rental beginning October 2019. And surely not in 2-3 days.

Best bet is to come down.... for a bit more than 2-3 days if possible.... just to get the lay of the land. Unless you've already been to Lakeside and kinda know what part you might like to settle in, a short visit won't be very productive IMO. "Looking for rentals" this summer will do you no good for October 2019 other than to get a feeling for what might be available and where.

I would come down next month as planned to just learn more about the various areas that are available (from Chapala to Jocotopec is about 20 miles) and what life might be like living in one of them. Location, location location has never been more true than at Lakeside.  I personally would rent a car at the airport for that short of a stay to make the most of your available time. Then next summer plan on coming back for "a week" to secure a place starting in October 2019. Plan on renting for at least 6 months (no one will talk to you for less than that in today's market especially during the high season!). Rent for a year or more only if your are SURE that the place you pick isn't going to turn out to be a poor choice due to a lot of factors. It might be wise for you to determine what some of the 'factors' might be because unless you have lived in Mexico before you might be surprised about an otherwise 'ideal spot'.

Many/most homes are 2BR, some 3BR generally with a lot of outside living space too. Finding a rental that allows dogs should not be too hard as many folks have pets. Your upper limit of $1,500 US per month should be plenty and, depending on your requirements, you could find a nice place that suits you from $850 up.

I assume that you are familiar with what Mexico requires financially to decide to live here. If not, find out because there are specific requirements below which one is not welcome except as a Tourist.

Visiting the Lake Chapala Society grounds is a good starting place. Also don't be timid in asking people about living at Lakeside. Just take everything with a grain of salt.

Good luck in your quest.

6 hours ago, RickS said:

There are a couple of ways to find rentals.... a realtor, property manager, local 'billboards', and just walking around. The only problem IMO is that one will not be able 'this summer' to secure a rental beginning October 2019. And surely not in 2-3 days.

Best bet is to come down.... for a bit more than 2-3 days if possible.... just to get the lay of the land. Unless you've already been to Lakeside and kinda know what part you might like to settle in, a short visit won't be very productive IMO. "Looking for rentals" this summer will do you no good for October 2019 other than to get a feeling for what might be available and where.

I would come down next month as planned to just learn more about the various areas that are available (from Chapala to Jocotopec is about 20 miles) and what life might be like living in one of them. Location, location location has never been more true than at Lakeside.  I personally would rent a car at the airport for that short of a stay to make the most of your available time. Then next summer plan on coming back for "a week" to secure a place starting in October 2019. Plan on renting for at least 6 months (no one will talk to you for less than that in today's market especially during the high season!). Rent for a year or more only if your are SURE that the place you pick isn't going to turn out to be a poor choice due to a lot of factors. It might be wise for you to determine what some of the 'factors' might be because unless you have lived in Mexico before you might be surprised about an otherwise 'ideal spot'.

Many/most homes are 2BR, some 3BR generally with a lot of outside living space too. Finding a rental that allows dogs should not be too hard as many folks have pets. Your upper limit of $1,500 US per month should be plenty and, depending on your requirements, you could find a nice place that suits you from $850 up.

I assume that you are familiar with what Mexico requires financially to decide to live here. If not, find out because there are specific requirements below which one is not welcome except as a Tourist.

Visiting the Lake Chapala Society grounds is a good starting place. Also don't be timid in asking people about living at Lakeside. Just take everything with a grain of salt.

Good luck in your quest.

Hey Rick

Hey thanks Rick.

Maybe I wasn’t clear about my travel schedule. I was planning on basically doing what you rvcommded. I just booked a quick trip for 3-1/2 days in mid-Sept.  I am only going for this trip to scout out areas and then look to see what the units are typically available in that area, and what the leases are like.

I have a couple of other questions but I'll post to try he board. Thx.

I believe that most will agree that the rental market is tight and we are not in the high season yet... Ajijic is the highest rental market while Chapala and Jocotepec are lower and not as Anglo...

I would suggest a longer (two week minimum) stay in a central location and rent a car to explore the various areas... Each town is different and offer various benefits...

According to one report I read, there are approximately 10,000 "baby boomers" reaching retirement age daily NOB. The WWII generation is mostly no longer with us,  and the Great Depression kids are not numerous.  Many boomers are looking for a new adventure in Mexico in their retirement: many just can't afford to live in the U.S. on their retirement funds and are seeking the lower COL places, including Mexico, so in general I'm seeing a lot of visitors (easy to spot) checking the lakeside area out.  Too many of them are reading glowing reviews of Ajijic and thinking that's THE place to be, but IMO, that's a mistake.  It's getting way too crowded and the cost of rentals disproportionately higher than in the surrounding areas. When the time comes, it might be a good idea to check out several of the better rental agencies.  At least the landlords get vetted and if repairs are needed, you'd get them.  There are plenty of landlords that don't treat their tenants fairly and it gets messy.

Welcome when you come!

I have had positive personal experiences with xxxxxxxx Rentals. They are in the same office as XXXXXXXX  Realty, on XXXX the main drag . They have an online inventory and XXXX is very helpful. Her English is very good, just in case your Spanish isn't.

Sorry cstone. But I had to delete the name of any rental company ETC. Please check at the beginning of this section, you know "Ajijic/Chapala/Guad" you will see that there are rules about posting real estate business recommendations. However there is no rule against sending a private message doing the same

Sorry about that Mod5

It sounds as though this fellow is a tad misinformed about the area.  Just so he knows there are no apartment complexes here with rental offices on site.  There are  no condo groups with rental offices.   There are a couple dozen rental agencies and a dozen or so private managers and then the word-of-mouth and friend-to-friend market is very active here.   People look for months for a place not only here in person but they follow a dozen internet sites and facebook pages for leads to housing.

Pets are becoming a problem when renting in a reduced availability market.  At you $1500 price point the furnishing will be nice and a dog or two is unlikely to be welcome.  There are just too many people who don't have dogs who also have money that many landlords say no to pets.  I do not know anyone who rents their investment or personal homes to dog owners.  If the places are are unfurnished then cats are okay but not likely for dogs. 

On your first trip for 3 days do not bother going to LCS.  It is a garden, pretty but you don't need it your first day.  For half a day hire someone to drive you around to establish some frame of reference.  Have a real paper map that you can mark on and a notebook.  For your driver get a guy in his 40s not one of these 25 year old girls who haven't a clue what you are needing to know and might want to see so they just wander drive.  For another half day hire a different person to show you Chapala in a walking tour.  And then do the same for Ajijic and Jocotepec, each a half day.  There you are done.

Good luck.

Three days!  May I suggest three weeks, just to get familiar with the 'lay of the land'.

In Mexico, it is wise to avoid making more than one appointment per day. Some of those will be likely to fail, too.  Mañana.........

Mid Semptember?  Monster partying on the evening of the 15th, National Holiday on the 16th, and recovery follows.

I am coming to Ajijic/Chapala next week on August 31, 2018 and staying for a couple of weeks.  I am a male single senior citizen.  A buddy will also be meeting me there.  This will be our first visit and I’m hoping that I will like it.  Using recommendations from this site, I have also made appointments with a dentist and eye doctor (thanks everyone on this board!!).

I want to look at neighborhoods and houses/condos/apartments having 1 or 2 bedrooms. Are there agents/guides there who will act like multi-listing agents or have a good knowledge of the market so that I could see what’s is or might be available available?  If what I like is a little out of town, I am not opposed to having a car.  Any advice on how to establish a contact for a tour?  I would not be opposed to paying for their time.  Just want to make the trip productive. 

Jim

US four-8-oh, three-1-six-oh-four-ate-six

No multi list for rentals. Each office has their own listings and shows their own listings with some, but not much, overlap. Many rentals are by owner only. Many agents don't want to deal with rentals because the commission of one month on a  one year rental is so small compared to someone buying a house where the sale of even a modest home could produce a commission of thousands of US dollars. Renting can be a lot of work and a royal PITA. Make sure whoever is showing you a rental house either owns it or has the right to show and rent it rather than just taking your deposit money and disappearing which is a new trick some jerks are trying. Just be super cautious and question and verify everything you are told. Zero consumer protection laws in real estate here.

On 8/22/2018 at 3:09 PM, Rick Sanchez said:

I feel that the most important thing to do right now is to be truly honest with yourself and your realtor/agent as to how much you are willing to spend.

That amount will narrow down your search of houses, neighborhoods and towns and save you time and disappointment.

You also have to be brutally honest about your noise/commotion tolerance. That, too, will help narrow down your location search.

In my 12 years of life down here, I believe that many of the unhappy and dissatisfied people I've met wouldn't feel that way if they chose the proper location that suit them as soon as possible... and not some romantic notion of where they "should" live.

Trust your gut and you'll be fine.

Welcome to Mexico!

Thank you Rick.  Sound advice that I shall heed.

On 8/22/2018 at 4:40 PM, Al Berca said:

No multi list for rentals. Each office has their own listings and shows their own listings with some, but not much, overlap. Many rentals are by owner only. Many agents don't want to deal with rentals because the commission of one month on a  one year rental is so small compared to someone buying a house where the sale of even a modest home could produce a commission of thousands of US dollars. Renting can be a lot of work and a royal PITA. Make sure whoever is showing you a rental house either owns it or has the right to show and rent it rather than just taking your deposit money and disappearing which is a new trick some jerks are trying. Just be super cautious and question and verify everything you are told. Zero consumer protection laws in real estate here.

Thank you, I will

Archived