Chapala.com Webboard

Be careful at Carretera and Galeana

sm1mex

No traffic light operating for vehicles going east and west. They just breeze through the Galeana intersection because there’s no light to stop them. We saw some near misses today of people going north and south trying to get on or across the Carretera because cars came zooming almost into them. The traffic light needs to be fixed before there is a fatality. 

There was a bad accident in June that took out the traffic light at Galeana.  It is not an issue of replacing bulbs, but the light itself.  The light at Juarez is a matter of bulb replacement.  Here are 2 stories from GDL Reporter about these intersections.

https://theguadalajarareporter.net/index.php/news/news/lake-chapala/52038-four-injured-in-ajijic-rollover-accident

Four injured in Ajijic rollover accident

Published: 28 June 2018

Written by GR Staff

A dramatic car crash on the Ajijic highway early Monday, June 25 left four passengers injured and extensive additional damage in its wake.

pg8a

THE TOYOTA SEDAN DRIVEN BY A LOCAL MAN THAT WAS TOTALED IN A CRASH ON THE AJIJIC HIGHWAY.

The accident occurred around 4:30 a.m. at the intersection of Calle Galeana in front of the Oxxo convenience store. Riding inside the vehicle, a blue Toyota sedan bearing Jalisco plates, were three men and one women, all reportedly residents of Ajijic under age 30.   

https://theguadalajarareporter.net/index.php/expat-living/expat-living/lake-chapala/community-news/52161-city-too-broke-to-fix-traffic-lights

Published: 26 July 2018

Written by GR Staff

The Ajijic stoplight that was demolished in a car crash one month ago has not yet been replaced, leaving the intersection of Calle Galeana and the highway as a danger point for motorists, cyclists and pedestrians.

While traffic signals directing vehicles to the west and south are in working order, there is nothing visible to guide unwary east-bound drivers when municipal traffic police are not posted at the crossroads just outside the Oxxo convenience store.

pg11

DANGER LOOMS AT THE CHAOTIC INTERSECTION ON THE AJIJIC HIGHWAY WHERE A TRAFFIC LIGHT WAS WIPED OUT IN A RECENT AUTO ACCIDENT.

Chapala Transito Director Alejandro Borrayo cites two reasons for the delayed repair job. The local district attorney’s office has not resolved the case of legal responsibility for the accident to determine if the driver is liable for the damage. And the Chapala government in charge of maintaining traffic infrastructure is too strapped for funds to replace the stoplight.

According to Borrayo, the cash flow crisis is also the reason he has been unable to buy a new bulb for the burned out green light located several blocks west at the corner of Calle Juárez.  

I noticed yesterday there's no light bulb on the west side of the Carretera at Galeana either.  I live in upper Ajijic and rely on the traffic light there at OXXO to get onto the Carretera going East (a left turn).  It's been ridiculously difficult to do that since the accident in late June took out the traffic light.  When my light turns green, I try to ease into the intersection with flashers on, windows down, arms outstretched pleading the traffic to stop.  Most people look at me angrily and resentfully.  I can't figure out why they don't realize the problem, aren't they aware of their surroundings and the loss of the traffic light?

I, too, fear there's going to be another dangerous accident before they fix this problem.

Valerie  :(

12 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

I wish the PR lady Gloria Perlias??would stop pontificating on Facebook about how good the administration and God are..... and get the damn bulbs replaced...tell us how much they cost and we can buy them from Walmart with or without God's help

Well it was great for her and everyone else in the Degollado administration who managed to profit quite nicely while failing to deliver the most basic services.  Thank God the Mexican community finally got tired of this bunch and voted against them 3 to 1.  They'll be gone on October 1 but you can be sure it will take some time to make up for the looting and neglect they leave behind.

An hour ago when driving West on the Carretera, I got a red light at the Galeana intersection when it was time to stop. Of course when it was time to go there was no green light. But at least the red light is working. I don't know about the other direction, ie going East.

2 hours ago, sm1mex said:

Well no one was stopping east or west when the Galeana light  turned green.  I couldn't see any light anywhere for the east west traffic.  

All I can tell you is what I saw. I had not seen the red light there before, since all the lights there went out..

4 hours ago, johanson said:

An hour ago when driving West on the Carretera, I got a red light at the Galeana intersection when it was time to stop. Of course when it was time to go there was no green light. But at least the red light is working. I don't know about the other direction, ie going East.

I saw the same.

6 hours ago, sm1mex said:

If anyone know someone that can get the light fixed to save a life, please do so

Oh, man, you know there is no one in authority who gives even the slightest crap. About anything around here that needs to be done to keep up the infrastructure. Pouring concrete by the water to attract tourists is their main concern, outside of keeping their jobs and stealing as many tax dollars as they can. Seriously: not being able to repair a light standard until they determine who's guilty? It doesn't matter who's guilty.

6 departments have been closed in the municipality. The municipal transito seem to have been hired based on how many votes they could deliver and most of them are gone, since they didn't deliver. Getting ANYTHING done before October will be a real miracle. Those employees remaining are too busy loading the trucks.

16 minutes ago, HarryB said:

6 departments have been closed in the municipality. The municipal transito seem to have been hired based on how many votes they could deliver and most of them are gone, since they didn't deliver. Getting ANYTHING done before October will be a real miracle. Those employees remaining are too busy loading the trucks.

If appearance is anything to go by, the Transito's look like Keystones Cops and need to go to Weight watchers 

Archived