Chapala.com Webboard

DOG PROBLEM IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD

Monessen

I live in a neighborhood that has families who let their dogs out at odd hours to go to the bathroom in the streets and then they go back to their walled villas. Since I also have odd hours at times I see this trick but the neighbors refuse to change their ways. One particular large dog has made the front of my house as her toilet. My Mexican friends suggested I lightly spray the area with ammonia and I have done so for a week. It has not dissuaded the very friendly dog from this habit. I am at wits end  and even spoke with the dog's owners but to no avail. They let their dog out from sunset until around

8 am every day. I think that the other neighbors are just happy that the dog did not choose their property. Does anyone have an idea about how to change the dog's habit? Someone told me that Walmart had a product that you sprayed in an area to encourage dogs to use that place to defecate. I had an evil thought for just a moment that I could spray it in front of the dog owner's gate 😈--but that isn't really the answer as a good neighbor. Plus the spray seems too good to be true.

Does ANYONE have an idea that I might use to solve the problem without causing World War 3? I live in Chapala Centro.

8 minutes ago, Eric Blair said:

I suggest you pick up the poop, put it in a bag and dump in at the doorstep of the neighbor. If you can't get to the door, just dump it on the lawn.

.............while being very careful as you do that. Remember, we're not in Kansas anymore and you never know what "business" your neighbors may be in.

Timing could not be better on your post.  We had our monthly Board Mtg. for our fracc yesterday which is in Chapala.  We have had dog problems with a couple of residents not following our Bylaws for a long, long time.  We went to Ecologia and they are NOW serious about the dog problem in the Chapala area.  I suggest if your problem bothers you enough that you go to their office and file a complaint.  They will go to the homeowner and a fine them.  They will do this two times. Photos will help you if you have them.  If these fines are not paid, the third time they hand deliver a summons to appear in court.  My wording may not be completely accurate, but I think you get the point. 

LOL! And a heavy sprinkling will also end up in the pads of the offending neighbour's dog... and be tracked home... where it will dry and fall out on the neighbour's floor. That is assuming that the dog could care less about the smell.

5 hours ago, ibarra said:

Timing could not be better on your post.  We had our monthly Board Mtg. for our fracc yesterday which is in Chapala.  We have had dog problems with a couple of residents not following our Bylaws for a long, long time.  We went to Ecologia and they are NOW serious about the dog problem in the Chapala area.  I suggest if your problem bothers you enough that you go to their office and file a complaint.  They will go to the homeowner and a fine them.  They will do this two times. Photos will help you if you have them.  If these fines are not paid, the third time they hand deliver a summons to appear in court.  My wording may not be completely accurate, but I think you get the point. 

I don't think Ecologia handles dog poop issues. They are charged with stopping animal cruelty and mistreatment and from what little I have seen, do a good job.

Hire a needy kid on the block to pick it up and dispose of it every morning before you open the door.  The kid will thank you, and you will be happier and the whole neighborhood will like you more and they will know that the dog owners are not taking care of their dogs' business.  It is not going to stop since the dog has chosen your stoop and the neighbors are unlikely to stop putting their dog out.

3 hours ago, MtnMama said:

I don't think Ecologia handles dog poop issues. They are charged with stopping animal cruelty and mistreatment and from what little I have seen, do a good job.

Yes Ecologia handles this. Our fracc attorney knows the director and filed the complaint for us. The information I provided came from the Director of Ecologia.

Ammonia just encouraged him to use the area as his bathroom--it smells like pee.  I like solajijic's answer.  I had this problem in the states.  After talking numerous times to my neighbor,  I shoveled it up and put it on her stoop.  Stopped right away.

On 8/10/2018 at 10:09 AM, Eric Blair said:

I suggest you pick up the poop, put it in a bag and dump in at the doorstep of the neighbor. If you can't get to the door, just dump it on the lawn.

Yes this might do it. If the dog smells where his dump is, he is likely to use that spot, particularly if the site of your house smells of ammonia strongly..

On 8/10/2018 at 9:36 AM, Monessen said:

I live in a neighborhood that has families who let their dogs out at odd hours to go to the bathroom in the streets and then they go back to their walled villas. Since I also have odd hours at times I see this trick but the neighbors refuse to change their ways. One particular large dog has made the front of my house as her toilet. My Mexican friends suggested I lightly spray the area with ammonia and I have done so for a week. It has not dissuaded the very friendly dog from this habit. I am at wits end  and even spoke with the dog's owners but to no avail. They let their dog out from sunset until around

8 am every day. I think that the other neighbors are just happy that the dog did not choose their property. Does anyone have an idea about how to change the dog's habit? Someone told me that Walmart had a product that you sprayed in an area to encourage dogs to use that place to defecate. I had an evil thought for just a moment that I could spray it in front of the dog owner's gate 😈--but that isn't really the answer as a good neighbor. Plus the spray seems too good to be true.

Does ANYONE have an idea that I might use to solve the problem without causing World War 3? I live in Chapala Centro.

Wanna trade for a feral cat that howls outside my bedroom window from 02:00 to 04:00 every morning? 

Nasty kids in a neighborhood up north used to take dog poop and put it in a paper bag, light the bag on fire and ring the doorbell. When the owner answered the door, he or she invariably stomped the fire out and then could not go back into the house with their shoe on, because of the poop now all over the shoe.

Not recommending this as a solution here, as everybody here knows someone who could escalate the situation much worse that it already is. I just shared so you could smile about the thought of it... even if it is only a fleeting smile.

Archived