Chapala.com Webboard

I'll take "Where is your Receipt?" for $5,000 Alex

Check your homeowner policy. If you get burgled and don't have receipt(s) and maybe a current (5 years) appraisal, you may not get anything from your homeowner insurance.

Another "Gotcha:).

You get the 1 in 1000 burglars that knows how to pick a lock (You can actually get the tools and learn how to do it online),  so they get into your house without any sign of forced entry. They clean you out. Guess what  - - -

You're out of luck. Must have sign(s) of forced entry.

If the bad guys break a window to get in, you're covered.Just hope they break it from the outside in, not from inside out.

Read your policy carefully; the Devil is in the details. And if you can't get an English copy  - - - bend over when the adjuster comes.

Finally, better make a report at the Ministerio Publico (1 + hours, or your S.O.L.

Good luck

My home owner policy was delivered to me written in english. My agent photographed every room and every item in it. I do not, and it is in writing, need receipts.  I am given replacements at full value. Can I collect...I don't know but I sleep better thinking that I am covered.

Fred Habacht

My agent also told us we should photograph every room, and every valuable (like jewelry), with us in the photos. And then keep the photos somewhere safe outside of the house (like with friends, I guess). Of course, we have not gotten around to doing this--maybe today's the day!

And yes, if there is no sign of forced entry, break a window from the outside and wear gloves while doing it. Of course, this applies to theft and not fire or hurricane damage;)

From Parker Ins.

I'm going to ask about a policy in English and receipts.

====================================================================================

THEFT WITH OUT SIGN OF VIOLENCE IS NOT COVERED ( WINDOW BROKEN, FORCED ENTRY  ETC)
ALSO PLEASE CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING ...
Fine arts, Jewelry (gold, silver, set stones), camera equipment, objects of difficult or
impossible replacement  is recommendable to keep a  list with description & photos.
For  the items with value per piece or set over $ 70,000 pesos the insurance
company will need photos and copy of invoices or appraisals( not older than 5 years ) to specify them in the policy.

For the electronics also recommend to make a list with make, serial number & photos.

Yes I read the whole policy and cancel the whole thing. Gave away my jewelery and realize I really do not have anything really valuable so I sleep well . I only care about our safety, stuff can be replaces and I am not going to take pictures or collect receipts for a bunch of stuff I can replace anyways.

32 minutes ago, bmh said:

Yes I read the whole policy and cancel the whole thing. Gave away my jewelery and realize I really do not have anything really valuable so I sleep well . I only care about our safety, stuff can be replaces and I am not going to take pictures or collect receipts for a bunch of stuff I can replace anyways.

You are going to give it all away sooner or later.

4 hours ago, Eric Blair said:

Check your homeowner policy. If you get burgled and don't have receipt(s) and maybe a current (5 years) appraisal, you may not get anything from your homeowner insurance.

Another "Gotcha:).

You get the 1 in 1000 burglars that knows how to pick a lock (You can actually get the tools and learn how to do it online),  so they get into your house without any sign of forced entry. They clean you out. Guess what  - - -

You're out of luck. Must have sign(s) of forced entry.

If the bad guys break a window to get in, you're covered.Just hope they break it from the outside in, not from inside out.

Read your policy carefully; the Devil is in the details. And if you can't get an English copy  - - - bend over when the adjuster comes.

Finally, better make a report at the Ministerio Publico (1 + hours, or your S.O.L.

Good luck

My insurance agent back in Canada told me years ago if there is no visible sign of break-in you do it yourselve before reporting to authorities, makes sense to me.

After reading all this, I'm wondering if there is someone in the area who could provide an "insurance approved" appraisal of items in the house?  I would happily pay for such a service if it exists.  Anybody know?

A signed and dated appraisal from a recognized jeweler is a good place to start for jewelry.  Same from an antiques dealer and so on and so forth. Give the adjuster something to justify the amount they are paying you.  It's not their money but higher ups do look over their shoulder and will jump on them for not having justification in their files.  Adjusters just keep getting more cases assigned to them every week, they are happy to be able to close a file and know they won't get criticized.  The good ones rarely get "personally involved" and have a thick skin for the barbs that usually come their way. Some don't have that thick skin so think twice before jumping in their face without the facts on your side. If one decides it is "personal" they can make things very tough for you. "Sorry, I'm just following the exact language of the policy".  

Archived