Chapala.com Webboard

Obtaining a new car license in Chapala

Hi, great to connect with you all, and see such a vibrant community in a convenient location! I hope someone can clarify for me if you can obtain a new (first time) Mexican car license in Chapala. I have seen conflicting comments that you can and cannot, I understand you could a few years ago but it seems you cannot now, is that right? I have a Temporal and CURP number. If Chapala is not available, it seems Guadalajara is the place particularly if you only speak English (my Spanish is very minúsculo).  I hear it can be very busy at the Mobility secretary in Guadalajara, so any tips on what day and time to go would be very helpful, and any other tips. Thank you. 

I think that is the case. The OP would be advised to search this board, like use drivers license, and find the names of one or two facilitators to help with this. 

6 hours ago, Grateful! said:

Hi, great to connect with you all, and see such a vibrant community in a convenient location! I hope someone can clarify for me if you can obtain a new (first time) Mexican car license in Chapala. I have seen conflicting comments that you can and cannot, I understand you could a few years ago but it seems you cannot now, is that right? I have a Temporal and CURP number. If Chapala is not available, it seems Guadalajara is the place particularly if you only speak English (my Spanish is very minúsculo).  I hear it can be very busy at the Mobility secretary in Guadalajara, so any tips on what day and time to go would be very helpful, and any other tips. Thank you. 

Dear Grateful, You are in luck. It happens now and then that a service comes into CHAPALA - but we never know when! Pity I am missing this rare opportunity as I had renewed mine in Tlaquepaque two weeks ago - and paid a facilitator.  I assume you have the list of docs and photocopies required. You can do this yourself. Seniors have priority in the queue -- just establish that as you arrive.  Presidencia Antigua is the ochre colour historical building on the corner at the main traffic lights as you enter Chapala.

Atención 26a0.png1f697.png🚗1f698.png🚘
Renovación
Licencias de conducir 23 de julio Chapala presidencia antigua 
CURP 
INE
COMPROBANTE DE DOM 
PAGO EN RECAUDADORA 
llevar documentos antes de la fecha escrita gracias!

ATTENTION 26a0.png1f697.png🚗1f698.png🚘
Renewal
Driving licences 23 July chapala old presidency
Curp
Ine
Proof of Dom
Payment in authorities
Take documents before the written date thank you!

To clarify what Tzevi posted may be confusing as it states for Renewal;  INE is like a voter registration card (a mexican national document); you will need to take your Passport, current drivers license, along with original and at least 1 copy of a CFE or Telmex bill in your name (not sure if a lease will be adequate), CURP. You will also have to pay at a local bank and get pictures taken. I have heard that the mobile unit only offers the written test in Spanish and you likely will be required to take a driving test.  This process can take all day and, from what I understand, is a tad bit frustrating.
Now if you were to hire a facilitator and go to GDL then they will help you jump the que (if you are 60+),  you can take the test is in english and you do not have to take the driving portion;  you are fingerprinted, have your pic taken, take the test, pay and get your license all in +/- 1 hour.  There are 3 license types here - regular (cars), chauffeur (p/u, etc), motorcycle; all require identical documentation (yes one set for each type of license), they each cost and you get a separate license for each one.
Not all clerks at movilidad speak any english so a facilitator would certainly help speed up the process and you don't have to stress how to get there, where to park, etc.

After posting that tidbit of information, I realized the poster was asking about obtaining a new (first time) Mexican Driver License. In that case, the info will only be useful to those up for Renewal to take advantage of the convenience as well as saving quite a few pesos for a facilitator.

This may no longer apply but 10 or so years ago, if you already had a US or Canadian License that was still active, you did not have to take the drivers test. Rather you went through a process similar to a renewal.  Again this the way it was years ago. I have no idea what applies today.

So before assuming that my information is correct, check it out an then please share your information here. 

For your sake, I sure hope this is still the case.

Two years ago I had to take the driving test in Guadalajara even though I had a valid Canadian license.  The test was so easy that anyone who can't pass it shouldn't be driving at all. 

11 hours ago, Grateful! said:

Wow, thank you all so much, this is very helpful. Yes my question was for a drivers license (I realized I put car license, oops!).

It would be worth your while to hire Luzma Grande, Ajijic Concierge, to take you to Guad. for the test.  She does a fantastic job of getting you through the process.  You can call her at 333-452-1670.

1 hour ago, exyyz said:

Two years ago I had to take the driving test in Guadalajara even though I had a valid Canadian license.  The test was so easy that anyone who can't pass it shouldn't be driving at all. 

Thanks exyyz, do you feel it is easy to get by without Spanish in GDL for the license, or is an interpreter recommended? And by the way I am mid fifties so it doesn't seem jumping the queue is available for me.

I went with a friend who is fluent.  The day I was there an English speaker was available to help with the written part of the test.  I think it may have been translated into English since then but since I haven't seen it myself, it's hearsay.  It is certainly possible to do this without an interpreter as I found the people to be pleasant and very helpful but it is definitely easier to have a Spanish speaker with you.  After the written, which is actually pictures of various scenarios with multiple choice answers, you proceed to the area where they administer the driving test.  I used their car as I did not want to go get mine and then remove it immediately.  The driving part is just going around circle with a couple of"Alto" signs or painted on the ground.  And then parallel parking on the passenger side only.  I made an appointment on-line which I would recommend in order avoid waiting for your turn.

We were there in May 2018 and written test can be in english (as exyyz said road signs and a couple scenarios, must get 7 out of 10); the lines are LOOOOONNNNNGGGGGG, I'm talking probably hour+ wait;  They had 2 cars and 1 pickup to be used for the driving test, but we did not have to do the driving test. The driving test is on a specific course in the closed off parking lot; arrows and signs on the road and you have to parallel park (drivers side) perhaps you need someone to tell you what is expected on the driving course though.

On ‎7‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 10:52 AM, bournemouth said:

It would be worth your while to hire Luzma Grande, Ajijic Concierge, to take you to Guad. for the test.  She does a fantastic job of getting you through the process.  You can call her at 333-452-1670.

LCS has a pilot program for LCS members to obtain a new or renewal drivers  license in Guadalajara. The initial program is full (limited to 16 people) and is scheduled for August 20-21.  The first day includes a class in Mexican driving regulations and the second includes a morning van to Guadalajara with a return. All required documents have had to be submitted to the Education Director, a fee of 750 pesos paid (license fee payable that day in Guad). All documents are verified for complete information and are sent to the Main Office where we have appointments.  Note the class is optional for those only renewing but the fee is the same.

Handouts with complete information were available and hopefully this will be an ongoing program. Mine expires in September and I'll be out of town...so I'm going as well.

Archived