Chapala.com Webboard

Bringing our car and have quesitons

Hi All,

We lived in Ajijic in 2005-2008 and had to go back to the states to take care of the parents.

10   years later, we're moving back and it seems like things are a lot different. We're renting this time, instead of buying and houses are limited!

We're getting a temporal visa, and I'm under the impression that we can bring our US plated car.  It's a 2014 Infinity. OK- yes? Does it have to be paid off?  I'm also  under the impression that some makes are not allowed.  Does anyone know which one's are prohibited?

I'm sure I'll have more questions...…..

Thanks,

Helaine

People generally find they have to pay off and get clear title to a car to take it out of the U.S.  I think the restrictions on import you refer to have to do with nationalizing a car, not bringing it in on a TIP.  

Yes the rental market is very tight as demand is very strong and supply has decreased considerably because peo.ple who were waiting for a better market to sell no longer have to wait.  The supply of properties for sale in the more sought after areas is very right also.

You will find a lot  more traffic than you remembered and many changes.  Welcome back.

We have been in MX on a permanent basis for 21 years and do not know of any agency (here or anywhere for that matter)  that would check if your car has been "paid off" or not.  Many people would be in trouble if they started requiring that.  We left the U.S. owing on 2 cars for 5 years.  Who would check at the border to see if you owed on the car?  You are safe there.   As far as if you can import it (is that what you mean by "not allowed"?) or not, if you have a temporal visa you are not required to import your car.   If you decide to import it, of course you would need to pay it off and have a clear title.  Those with permanente status are legally not allowed to drive there foreign plated cars.  This web site, and others may answer some of your questions.    http://www.bajainsider.com/article/how-import-your-car-mexico           I am sure others will have more to say about this. 

Spencer posted this on Facebook:

New 2018 Aduana Manual for Temporarily Imported Vehicles

Last month aduana (customs) published an updated manual for the temporary importation of vehicles.

This manual is an update of the last one published in 2014 and now clearly lists who can import cars and periods. It also lists who can drive the cars and once again reaffirms that the only document you need to show that your expired TIP (car import permit) is valid is your immigration document and nothing from aduana, however, you must notify aduana whenever you get a new immigration document or risk losing your deposit you paid to get the permit.

I have made a 4 page file with the important pages of the 75 page document that every foreigner should print and keep in their car as it shows, in Spanish, who can temporarily import foreign plated vehicles, how long they may be imported for, what document they need to prove it and who can drive their foreign plated car.

The form to extend the temporary permits has changed as well and you can extend the permit when you renew your temporary resident card and do not have to go back to the border to do so. My office goes every week to present the extension notices.

To recap the document has the following information on the following pages (not necessarily manual page but page of file I created):

1) Immigration Status or visa Types and maximum length of temporary importation.
2) Length of temporary importation and what document needed to prove it (temporary visa only).
3) Who can drive a temporarily imported vehicle, foreigners…
4) Importer can drive, their spouse, children, parents, brothers and sisters, another foreigner who is tourist or temporary, or anybody else as long as importer is present in the vehicle

File link here:

CHAPALALAW.COM

1 hour ago, Helainemorrow said:

Hi All,

We lived in Ajijic in 2005-2008 and had to go back to the states to take care of the parents.

10   years later, we're moving back and it seems like things are a lot different. We're renting this time, instead of buying and houses are limited!

We're getting a temporal visa, and I'm under the impression that we can bring our US plated car.  It's a 2014 Infinity. OK- yes? Does it have to be paid off?  I'm also  under the impression that some makes are not allowed.  Does anyone know which one's are prohibited?

I'm sure I'll have more questions...…..

Thanks,

Helaine

At the border crossing when you get your TIP car permit you will have to show them the original title. If the car is financed you do not usually have that clear title. If you do, no problem. If you do not have that clear original title you must have a notarized letter on official stationary from the finance company permitting and acknowledging that the car is going tout of the USA for some period of time.  Ford  Motor  Finance 20 years ago wrote me such a letter.  No experience latter than that. The manufacture on the aauto only comes in after you decide to go to permanent status and wish to try to legalize your car. only NAFTA manufactured can be imported, US, Can, Mex. Until that change in residence permission it doesn't matter where it was built.

To recap....  yes, you can Temporarily Import (TIP) your 2014 Infinity IF your lien holder allows that.... it is 'their vehicle' after all. Mexico will want to see either your title or a registration slip in order to get the TIP sticker.  Getting a TIP can be done online 30 days prior to your arrival at the border. They will "FED-X" it to your home address quickly. You will of course need to acquire Mexican Insurance on the Infinity. This can also be done easily online and renewed while in Mexico.

As you know you will start your Temporal visa process at a Mexican Consulate in the US, then take that paperwork to the Mexican border INM location. Once that is done you will have 30 days to visit INM at Lakeside to finalize your Temporal visas. At the same time, at Lakeside, you will 'attach' your TIP to your Temporal by advising Aduana that you have a car.

Once you obtain your finalized Temporal it is good for 1 year, including the TIP. After that, one can renew the visa either annually or for multiple years up to 4 total years. Under current law when that timeframe is over one must either go 'Permanente" inside Mexico or start another Temporal visa process IN THE USA. Once Permanente one cannot have a foreign plated vehicle in Mexico. A way to skirt that law is for only one spouse to go Permanente and the other to redo their Temporal in the US. Just make sure that the vehicle title is in the name of the person staying Temporal. A Permanente spouse CAN drive the TIP vehicle.

Thank you all for your responses, and especially Rick’s detailed explanation.

hi rvgringo-

do you remember us? Helaine and kelly. We lived up revolution, on San Juan de las Colinas.....you and Louise were to our house.....

......now, if the consulate in Orlando would respond to my request for and appointment, I could start the ball rolling!

Just one observation based on personal experience:  If we had it to do all over again we would have ditched the U.S. car much sooner and be done with the TIP hassle and the U.S. plates which do seem to attract mordida seeking cops.  And having lived here already you know that compact sport utes are the best all around vehicle.  What has changed in the last 10 years, unfortunately, is the roads in Jalisco have really gone downhill except for some pricey toll roads you will use infrequently.

The topes and baches have multiplied on the free roads and most of the village streets outside of Chapala have gotten worse as well, particularly in Ajijic and Riberas.  Think about selling that Infiniti up there and getting a good and economical performer like the CRV here, runs good on regular gas and gets quite decent gas mileage.  They carry a lot of stuff, can take the beating from the roads and don't attract attention from thieves.  And there are many places that service them.

3 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Just one observation based on personal experience:  If we had it to do all over again we would have ditched the U.S. car much sooner and be done with the TIP hassle and the U.S. plates which do seem to attract mordida seeking cops.  And having lived here already you know that compact sport utes are the best all around vehicle.  What has changed in the last 10 years, unfortunately, is the roads in Jalisco have really gone downhill except for some pricey toll roads you will use infrequently.

The topes and baches have multiplied on the free roads and most of the village streets outside of Chapala have gotten worse as well, particularly in Ajijic and Riberas.  Think about selling that Infiniti up there and getting a good and economical performer like the CRV here, runs good on regular gas and gets quite decent gas mileage.  They carry a lot of stuff, can take the beating from the roads and don't attract attention from thieves.  And there are many places that service them.

Amen to that Kelly and Helaine.

Your TIP could be a contribution to the aduna slush fund. It was in our case and Spencer could not get the $400 back even if retaining it was illegal.  Just another "Welcome to Mexico" events not covered by International Living...

4 minutes ago, rvanparys said:

Your TIP could be a contribution to the aduna slush fund. It was in our case and Spencer could not get the $400 back even if retaining it was illegal.  Just another "Welcome to Mexico" events not covered by International Living...

Good one................

Archived