Chapala.com Webboard

New 2018 Aduana Manual for Temporarily Imported Vehicles

Last month aduana (customs) published an updated manual for the temporary importation of vehicles.  This manual is an update of the last one published in 2014 and now clearly lists who can import cars and periods.  

It also lists who can drive the cars and once again reaffirms that the only document you need to show that your expired TIP (car import permit) is valid is your immigration document and nothing from aduana, however, you must notify aduana whenever you get a new immigration document or risk losing your deposit you paid to get the permit.  

I have made a 4 page file with the important pages of the 75 page document that every foreigner should print and keep in their car as it shows, in Spanish, who can temporarily import foreign plated vehicles, how long they may be imported for, what document they need to prove it and who can drive their foreign plated car.  

The form to extend the temporary permits has changed as well and you can extend the permit when you renew your temporary resident card and do not have to go back to the border to do so.  My office goes every week to present the extension notices.

To recap the document has the following information on the following pages (not necessarily manual page but page of file I created):

1) Immigration Status or visa Types and maximum length of temporary importation.
2) Length of temporary importation and what document needed to prove it (temporary visa only).
3) Who can drive a temporarily imported vehicle, foreigners…
4) Importer can drive, their spouse, children, parents, brothers and sisters, another foreigner who is tourist or temporary, or anybody else as long as importer is present in the vehicle

File can be found here:
http://www.chapalalaw.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/SAT-Aduana-Manual-Junio-2018-extranjeros.pdf

• Like 1

You have to do a separate notification to aduana and then it finds its way to the computer system and show updated

• 1 month later...

That comes under the special process for scofflaws, I think.  🤩

1. Drive carefully; your car is illegal    😎

2. Drive carefully; your insurance is probably invalid  😮

3. Sneak up to the border without encountering any transitos, federales, checkpoints, etc.🙈

4. Present your original car permit documents to Banjercito & get the receipt. Keep it.📂

5. If all of that worries you, see if Spencer can get you a Retorno Seguro and give you really good advice.   🙂

6. Once over the border, avoid Texas fuzz looking for uninspected & unregistered cars. 👮‍♂️

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks for this useful thread. I've printed the summary to keep in our car.

I have a question, though, which I hope is sufficiently related to warrant posting here. I'm in the process of obtaining Mexican auto insurance for when we cross the border into Mexico on July 1, 2019. I have a couple good quotes and am ready to proceed. However, I asked for an effective coverage date of June 28th. Now I've learned, from the Banjercito website, that proof of insurance is required to apply for a TIP.  My question, then, is whether I need to make the insurance effective NOW instead of a couple days before we cross. In other words, will Banjercito issue the TIP even though my auto insurance would not be effective until a month or so later? Thanks for any info, and sorry if this is in the wrong place.

1 hour ago, Sorn said:

Thanks for this useful thread. I've printed the summary to keep in our car.

I have a question, though, which I hope is sufficiently related to warrant posting here. I'm in the process of obtaining Mexican auto insurance for when we cross the border into Mexico on July 1, 2019. I have a couple good quotes and am ready to proceed. However, I asked for an effective coverage date of June 28th. Now I've learned, from the Banjercito website, that proof of insurance is required to apply for a TIP.  My question, then, is whether I need to make the insurance effective NOW instead of a couple days before we cross. In other words, will Banjercito issue the TIP even though my auto insurance would not be effective until a month or so later? Thanks for any info, and sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Since Aduana & Banjercito cannot control the date that you enter,  they want you to document proof of insurance before they approve the TIP.

• 1 month later...

I am planning to drive my US plated car back to the US in two weeks, crossing at Mexicali. I paid the deposit and have had both my residente temporal and auto import papers renewed properly (expire the first of November of this year). What are the hours of the immigration office in Mexicali and can I return my sticker and registration papers here?  What about getting my visa papers for leaving Mexico temporarily?

• 4 weeks later...

so this still does not address the question of flying home and back when you have  a car under a 180 day tip.  I assume as long as the car is removed before the tIp expires thta is all they care about. A lot of conflicting info on this one. Or do you have go the aduana at the airport when you get back and let them know you have  a new tourist card? Last year I flew out to Colombia and they sent me over to customs and the guy just initialed without looking at any vehicle permit. I had just a 10 year mootrhome that time. This year I will have a 10 year motorhome and a car.