Chapala.com Webboard

san miguel de allende

AllenHoffman

San Miguel is much more expensive. Always was and always will be.

San Miguel is much colder in the winter so one adapts the layered look and peels off clothing as the day goes by... or heads to the coast for two months. It doesn't rain as much during the "wet" season.

San Miguel has a much livelier evening scene, art scene and many more activities to choose from... classes for just about everything you can think of.

It's a greater distance to the International Airport in Leon... and flights from the States always seem to arrive at night. Or you can take the bus to Mexico City Airport from Queretaro.

Anything else you want to know?

I agree with Ferret.  However there are more direct flights from US to QRO these days and it's a bit closer to SMA than BJX in Leon.

We contemplated locating in SMA but happy with our Ajijic choice.  

We visit SMA annually, mostly because of its restaurant scene.  

I think the expensive gap between San Miguel and at least Ajijic is closing.  However, you have many less expensive options that are still well located along the lake here.

Proximity to GDL for big city shopping and first class medical care:  40 minutes away.  Big advantage:  Costco.

Thirty minutes to a major airport with flights to everywhere.

Definitely more even climate.  Very close to the beach.

If your taste in restaurants runs to fancy and expensive, GDL has you covered.

Personally, I'd go for Guanajuato long before I'd consider San Miguel.

Each to his/her own. I do not like Guanajuato. It feels very claustrophobic to me since it "feels" like it's built in a caldera with very few open vistas. The tunnels don't help either and many of the streets are very steep for walking. YMMV.

There is both a Costco and Sam's in Queretaro, and a Carrefours and a Liverpool store... and a MEGA in San Miguel itself. I loved the nine years that we lived in San Miguel. I still laugh when people whine about the traffic here. San Miguel can be grid lock by comparison.

2 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

San Miguel is:

raw

That is one thing that SMA is definitely not. If you have the funds and are into that type of scene, no place in Mexico can beat it as a retirement place close to the US, IMHO. It is all that Ferret says and more. You need to experience it for a while, if you think you will like that scene. For me, I loved it, but loved being near Lake Chapala more, so I gave up all that SMA offered me that Lakeside does not to be near the water. Lake Chapala is MUCH more Laid-Back than SMA, and offers much less, IMHO. Each to his own. Go

Good people in both areas, and also "turds".

6 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

People can live anywhere and not be bored with the funds. SMA is to me a place to vacation for a few days as it is in a myopic sense beautiful. To live there and tolerate the expats, NFW.

Ditto.

Hardly ever associated with expats in SMA. But, it's changed and I don't get the same magical feel that existed for me when I first walked the town. I flew into Guadalajara in Jan of '96 and had three weeks to explore. Took a bus to San Miguel after being in Ajijic for two weeks and that was that. Ajijic to me was boring and I thought I'd roll over and die. Now, I'm old and boring and I fit right in. SMA LIVES!

SMA vs Lake Chapala will always be 'different strokes for...'  Every year I spend some time in both places... more at Lakeside. I like them both and would have a hard time choosing between.

I agree with MC that 'housing' at Lakeside is catching up with SMA and today I could probably find an 'equally good deal' in SMA as at Lakeside. Restaurants..... no contest that SMA is way ahead, but generally more expensive. IMO, shopping in and close to SMA is better than Lakeside even when one takes into account Guadalajara being so close. And Ferret, MEGA is no more, replaced by an equally nice La Comer.

I'm not the kind that easily gets bored, but if I had to say which place might bore me after a while it would be Lakeside and not SMA. There is some 'world class entertainment' that comes to SMA, and very often and relatively cheap... no trip to Guadalajara needed. I find SMA to be... alive, not a term I would use for Lakeside. 'People watching' in SMA is amazing as one gets to see a more diverse crowd.... and yes, it is crowded especially on the weekend (unlike Lakeside, eh!?!).

There used to be a good deal of pollution in SMA from the brick mills but that has been cleaned up a great deal. Ajijic has a bad traffic problem on the carretera, with hardly a remedy in sight short of banning cars or putting a lane out in the Lake, but SMA has a traffic problem almost everywhere in town. But in SMA it is a cultural thing that EVERYONE yields to one another at intersections.... even taxi drivers do it... and I find this refreshing.

Even though the airport in Queretaro is gaining popularity and more flights, NOTHING can compete with Lakeside having GDL 20 minutes.....and a terrible road!.....away! Better pricing too.

The weather at Lakeside is a HUGE draw IMO and SMA cannot compete... although it is definitely nice there. Just colder in the winter for short periods, usually in late Nov and December. Otherwise, I generally walk around in shorts and t-shirt... but look for a fireplace at night/early A.M.

8 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

People can live anywhere and not be bored with the funds. SMA is to me a place to vacation for a few days as it is in a myopic sense beautiful. To live there and tolerate the expats, NFW.

I think you would really enjoy it there if you would just spend more time there ! Give it a real chance, Angus ! :D

Archived