Chapala.com Webboard

Question for Whatsapp Users

I am new to it, but I like it and many Mexicans with whom I do business use it.

Q:

When I send a message and I only see one grey checkmark, I understand that means my message has gone to the Whatsapp server but has yet to be delivered (more checkmarks and blue checkmarks indicate it has been delivered and read by the other party). 

But if I send a message and it just sits there with that sad grey single mark....will it ever go through??  Or should I resend?  I sent a message 20 minutes ago and still stuck at Whatsapp server.  Usually they zip through pronto.  But as I said I am new to this app. 

Mine "sticks" like that when it can't tell that my cell phone is turned on.  Usually instead of the check marks, it will show a tiny clock face, barely discernible as that. 

12 hours ago, bmh said:

If the person you are sending the message tp, does not have the phone on or is in an area where there is no signal you will see the single grey mark as well. 

Yes that is what happened.  It went through when the recipient was back in a service area.  Thx.

WhatsApp frequently lets messages lie fallow. I have not been able to find intelligent reasons why, beyond what was suggested in the link above. But that was a pretty facile answer: mine often don't even come in until hours later, or when I tap my phone awake (even though it is on, connected to WiFi, and to data), or the next day. The description of colours above is correct, and I frequently have one checkmark sitting in the box, waiting to go out. Doesn't matter even here in Canada with completely different service providers. (WhatsApp is amazingly little used here compared to Mexico.)

Many people in Mexico use it for business and personal access, so it needs to be timely. If you were to use Skype or FaceBook Messenger at exactly the same time, you would have NO problem sending/receiving... which tells me it is peculiar to WhatsApp. I would suspect it has to do with their server storage space and their own network infrastructure, and I have no idea how "big and powerful" they may be in terms of handling massive usage. But it has been this way since I started using it, and now that I am in Canada, I know for certain it has nothing to do with TelMex.

One trick: as long as your cell phone has some kind of data plan, this seems to work: turn off WiFi. WhatsApp will react to the now-superior cellular data, and away the message goes. Just remember to turn WiFi back on. You will also hear it register when you leave your house where the WiFi is in use... as soon as it loses that signal, say when getting into your car, bingo: out it goes. Too many variables at play here.

I pretty much use whatsapp exclusively because that is what the people I deal with use and I rarely have to wait  for a message to get through inless people are in an area where there is no internet and in the mountains in Chiapas it is a common occurence but it is still the best way to communicate down here as telcel has lots of dead spots, including my house in the middle of San Cristobal. The whatsapp phone is lousy so the only way I can communicate with is the messages of whatsapp or messenger ....I have  a data plan and I sometimes turn it off and on ...

I'm a big WhatsApp user, and in my view, it's very simple. One grey checkmark means the message has left my phone. Two grey means that the recipient's phone has received it. Regardless of whether the recipient is online, they will not turn blue until they have actually read it.

Message cannot be recieved unless phone is turned on and connected to the Internet.

It's always worked great for me. I use it for sending photos and documents, voice calling and video calling. Voice and video quality is superior to Skype.

As always, YMMV

I use Whatsapp on my computer much more than I use it on my cel phone, although I do send and receive Whatsapp messages on the cel when I am away from the house.  And I agree with Curmedgeon, it's excellent.

First of all, Curmudgeon simply repeated exactly what had already been posted more than once; not sure why. Second, we were talking about the mobile app. The PC app works quite differently. Third, for those who never have problems, congratulations, but please don't make it sound like we others are doing something wrong.

14 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Curmudgeon simply repeated exactly what had already been posted more than once; not sure why. Second, we were talking about the mobile app. The PC app works quite differently. Third, for those who never have problems, congratulations, but please don't make it sound like we others are doing something wrong.

Well, well, I thought the OP was asking us to share experiences with the app. Hopefully the responses were useful.  Nobody suggested that anyone was doing anything wrong. We certainly don't need snide comments from someone who may know less about the subject than he thinks he does.

Archived