Jump to content
Chapala.com Webboard
Bisbee Gal

Purple Garlic Pizza Brothers in Ajijic

Recommended Posts

It is in the space previously occupied by Bakery/Cafe Rustico.  On the north side of carretera east of Colon.  

Spoke with an owner who said he hopes to open for pizza within the next 7 to 10 days.  However he is open today for the World Cup game with drinks and snacks (no pizza).

FB page: https://www.facebook.com/purplegarlicpizzabrothers/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope that they do well. But, it is beyond my comprehension why anyone would open a restaurant (pizza or not) with no parking. It absolutely defies logic.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm with you, Ferret. We have no car and could walk to this new business but, for very little money, we can order a known-quality pizza from M&J and have it delivered to our door. I love enthusiasm but here seems to be too much of that, and optimism, in new restaurants here. 

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If I lived close by and could walk to it, then I would try it. But I don't, so I won't.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ferret said:

I hope that they do well. But, it is beyond my comprehension why anyone would open a restaurant (pizza or not) with no parking. It absolutely defies logic.

Many of the most popular restaurants in Ajijic have no private parking.  

Tango, Cocinart, Gossips, Tabarka, Brunos, Pasta Trenta.  They manage quite well.  

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And I don't frequent any of them because there's no parking. Each to his/her own. I liked Tabarka when it was down by the lake in West Ajijic. Tango has the entire malecon parking lot and even Gossips has more choices for parking. But THAT location now with the bike lane is very iffy imho.

Anyway, as you said, they all manage quite well and I really do wish them well.

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's right, all those places have nearby areas where one can park. The spot on the highway, since the installation of that pretty but wasteful "bike" path, has nothing, and no nearby neighbourhood parking access. Like so many businesses now on that strip, and so I tend to bypass all of them now.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

That's right, all those places have nearby areas where one can park. The spot on the highway, since the installation of that pretty but wasteful "bike" path, has nothing, and no nearby neighbourhood parking access. Like so many businesses now on that strip, and so I tend to bypass all of them now.

And the parking spaces on the opposite side of the road are often filled with business vehicles from the bike path side - it's definitely a lose/lose situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We generally walk to Brunos but when we don't we've never had a problem finding a place to park nearby on a side street south of the carretera.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Google maps says It's a 2 minute walk from the Public Parking lot on Marcos Castellanos  to this new eatery.  The parking lot charges 15 pesos per hour.  And as MC said, there are always side streets...Pedro's Go Bistro is right around the corner and seats many and it is often full or nearly full.  If there's a will, there's a way.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grabbing a pizza is not “dining.” There seems to be a pizza joint on every other corner. It better be a really great pizza to draw a crowd. It will need to outperform established places all around it to attract the older crowd willing and able to find elusive parking in that area — especially in high season.  I do wish them well. 

  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Xena said:

Grabbing a pizza is not “dining.” There seems to be a pizza joint on every other corner. It better be a really great pizza to draw a crowd. It will need to outperform established places all around it to attract the older crowd willing and able to find elusive parking in that area — especially in high season.  I do wish them well. 

They intend to make a superior product. The owner/chef has worked many years in a pizza place in a university town up north and also worked for M&J Pizza. They have some TVs up for watching the World Cup , but no pizzas until next week...There are about 6 pull-in parking slots next to their restaurant for business that are only open during the day...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, cafemediterraneo said:

They intend to make a superior product. The owner/chef has worked many years in a pizza place in a university town up north and also worked for M&J Pizza. They have some TVs up for watching the World Cup , but no pizzas until next week...

I wonder if they ever heard that famous saying......"You only get one chance to make a good first impression".

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

I wonder if they ever heard that famous saying......"You only get one chance to make a good first impression".

Ain't that the truth.  I'd like to have 100 pesos for every new restaurant here that has ignored this and didn't last very long.  Intention doesn't mean squat if you don't deliver from day one.  That first couple of weeks when people are trying out the new place and determining if it is a keeper is vital to the longevity of a restaurant.  

Many are called, few are chosen...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

I wonder if they ever heard that famous saying......"You only get one chance to make a good first impression".

In fairness to them, they have a sign out front before the games saying EXACTLY what they are selling and only for game time.  It's not as if they are enticing you inside then telling you no pizza.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

Ain't that the truth.  I'd like to have 100 pesos for every new restaurant here that has ignored this and didn't last very long.  Intention doesn't mean squat if you don't deliver from day one.  That first couple of weeks when people are trying out the new place and determining if it is a keeper is vital to the longevity of a restaurant.  

Many are called, few are chosen...

If it were me, which thankfully it ain't,  my doors would be tightly shut until my staff and I were confident all was ready.  Then I would have that soft opening I've seen on TV. Pack the place, give away free slices in return for a written critique, see how my people did, what folks thought of the product, including letting them see what the pricing is going to be. Take that knowledge and then open for real when I thought we were ready. Anyone who's ever been in the pizza business knows how cheap it is to make a pie so you're not losing much money and gaining great insight without making people mad at you.  Simple.......but few bother to do it.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bisbee Gal said:

In fairness to them, they have a sign out front before the games saying EXACTLY what they are selling and only for game time.  It's not as if they are enticing you inside then telling you no pizza.  

Why would you want people to form that "first impression" before you're even ready to serve your main item?  I can't imagine why they would want anyone in there yet, it makes no sense.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, pappysmarket said:

Why would you want people to form that "first impression" before you're even ready to serve your main item?  I can't imagine why they would want anyone in there yet, it makes no sense.

I saw at least 3 other eateries in town that aren't normally open for 9 or 10 AM games, that put out signs saying they would be open for the game and also showed a limited menu.  Very popular for locals to want to go somewhere with a bigger TV screen, have some snacks and watch the game.  Restaurants want a piece of that action, even new ones. 

Could also be a way (in owner's mind) of letting people see what the place looks like (he did a lot of work to it)???

I won't hold it against them, nor will I try to ever fully understand Mexican business plans 👩‍🍳

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You're probably right about (in the owner's mind), he wants people to "see it" and very possibly does not have thick enough skin to be able to accept any criticism of his new venture. That seems to be a common theme of people who fail in that type of business. "The customer is never right" seems to be their motto.

Oh, and it's not anything peculiar to Mexicans.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On Mexican business practices.....

At more than a few businesses over the years here, I have asked business owners, "Do you still carry (insert item name here)."  Their response on several occasions has been,  "No senora, it was so in demand that people were disappointed when I did not have it for them.  So I stopped carrying it."

I kid you not (as Jack Paar used to say, if you are old enough to remember).  

I have never heard a businessperson in another country tell me that they stopped carrying an item because it was too popular.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's much easier to just use the duster on those old products than to have to constantly stock stuff people are actually buying.

"Sure hope the fish don't bother us".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×