Chapala.com Webboard

Does anyone work online? Need fast internet

17 minutes ago, johanson said:

Where are you located? Who is your present provider? What is your present upload and download speed? Once we know this, we will be better able to help you.

I am in Riberas, use Telmex, speed of 7, teach english online to chinese children.  They require speed of 20 but a little less might do.  So sorry i dont know the download and upload speed.  I heard about a new fibre optic internet coming? 

iLox is coming... so is Megacable with Izzi. Competition is good.

Where in Riberas are you located? I'm just down from the 711 and get 20 down and 4 up. You may want to check ALL your connections, even out to the box on the street or up a pole. Mine were corroded and the magic happened when the corroded connection was repaired. Unfortunately it wasn't Telmex who repaired it and the guy who helped me isn't doing it any more.

Also, both Telcel and AT&T are sporting some pretty good speeds in some areas Lakeside. Yes, it is cellular and may be a tad higher priced but sometimes beggars can't be choosers. If you have either of those, check your speeds with a speed-test app and ask a friend who has a different carrier than you to drop by your casa and test that one.

P.S.  iLox won't be operational until EOY or longer.....

14 hours ago, RickS said:

P.S.  iLox won't be operational until EOY or longer.....

I was told they will start construction at the end of this and expecting to be operational within 6 months and that it could be even with 3-4 months. I guess depends on where you live.  So possibly October or November, likely January.

I have no 'inside information' whatsoever, but since they will tap off the ring out by Jocotopec, it might stand to reason that service will begin first in the west, moving east to Chapala.

Now since this is Mexico, "stands to reason" is not a reliable term!

8 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Izzi is owned by Grupo Televisa and operated by by Empresas Cablevision.

Sputnik, returned your PM.

Does that mean that Izzi has not taken over or merged with Telecable and that Telecable is and will remain separate from Izzi?  Just curious, because one day in the Telecable office the girl told me that Telecable was going to change to Izzi.

I understand Izzi bought out Telecable and when they did the service level has changed, They also eliminated the 4 US network channels on Analog or standard definition channels and eliminated the program schedule that showed what was upcoming on their digital channels.

I hope things will get better with the threat of competition coming to the area by iLox

Thanks Johanson,  I was under the same impression.  Some mentioned it was Izzi or Telecable stringing in the new fiber optics in Riberas, I still wish it was Telmex, since there service tends to be more reliable in these here parts.  But since it has been recently reported that Telmex is beginning to connect the new grand hotel in Chapala Haciendas to the Gdl fiber optic grid, the goods points to that is, it is just the beginning for competition between the three big companies for fiber optics in the Chapala area, Ilox, Izzi, and telmex.

As a follow-up, Izzi bought or took over Telecable a couple of years back, so there is no more Telecable here. I took a long time to change their fleet advertising over. Telecable was pretty sad; Izzi's quality of service  has made them look like champions.

The US channels were removed from the analog channels, otherwise the quality of digital TV is lower and my internet has not improved. In fact the fastest I can now ask for is only 5 Mbits/ sec and at the moment I am getting the internet speed I am paying for, something that doesn't always occur during the afternoon.

Archived