Chapala.com Webboard

What is wrong with this webboard>

20 minutes ago, barrbower said:

What is happening with this webboard?  It seems to be down more often than not.  Don't tell me you are updating  some operational aspect.  Too much downtime for that excuse.  Alan

The next time you send in your payment, attach a note.

I assume that you have the site bookmarked. I am NOW not having any problems at all with the site. But, I deleted my original bookmark, went to Chapala.com and then clicked on Web board and then, when it came up, bookmarked the new site. It has changed back to it's old format with "topic number" in the address. So, maybe try that and see how it works.

I just know that when I hit the Submit Reply or NEXT UNREAD TOPIC bar, I have to wait one to ten seconds before anything happens.

If I did not know better, which would be the case if I was new to this website, I would left click on the link several times, and it would appear that the website was broken.

Remember, left click on the command and then wait much longer than normal anywhere else for the link to work and eventually it normally does.  Don't ask me why,  because I don't know,  that's just the way it is.

Although it is working at this moment, in the past it has not opened when using the bookmark or doing a Google search and trying the various sites listed.  It goes to a blank screen and then a blue lettered menu opens on the left hand side of the page but it doesn't link to anything.  I'm not doing anything different right now than when it didn't work previously.  And why do some regular contributors feel the need to be snarky at every opportunity?  That question should get a snappy (yet snarky) response!  Alan

17 minutes ago, MtnMama said:

I guess those of us who have been on this Board for along time are used to slow, unpredictable responses. Old overburdened servers act that way.

So do old overburdened web board users. LOL. I also wonder if it might be the old overburdened (and not well maintained) Telmex lines (or is that what you meant?). I have excellent download speed which MAY be why I'm not having any problems.

My download speed is always around 10 mbps here in Riberas.  I stream videos and TV without problems.  I connect to  any website I desire without problems....except this webboard no matter how I try to access it.  A few others I've talked to have the same problem connecting here that I have.  So...What is wrong with this site?  I was hoping a moderator or tech person associated with Chapala.com would answer with real info.  Alan

I often have the same problem that Barrbower mentioned, the blank screen changing to the blue list of forums that go nowhere.  PITA.  I've been a member here for 4000 years and nada.  Alan, if a Chapala.com tech person ever answered a question here I would faint.

Since we will never get an answer from anyone directly involved, I can only speculate. The software got buggered up for some reason several years back, and the changeover to newer software seems to have been somewhat of a bust. I can liken it to installing a new version of Windows over an old version: all that does is magnify existing problems. And perhaps their own Internet speed is fairly low, which means waiting for a response from their servers can take extra time.(A server in this case is simply a computer that stores information and passes it along.)

My download speed is 40, and I can tell you this: the web browsers most of us use are slow and overloaded with advertising and behind-the-scenes manipulation for collecting data, so the fastest speed in the universe is not going to be any faster than 10 when it comes to displaying web pages. The servers for this website are so slow and garbled that even I often get the "no page available" message. Since this is not a money-making site, I'm sure they have no reason to upgrade this part of it.

Archived