Chapala.com Webboard

Shampoo against fungus

Can anybody recommend a good, gentle dog shampoo against fungus ?

Thanks

Rony

Virbac is a reputable brand and has a shampoo -- Dermazole -- that is 2% Miconazole and used for fungal skin problems.  I've seen it at several vet offices lakeside. I think I've seen Miconazole (or some other -azole) combined with chlorhexidine in dog shampoos here -- you might try that too.

I have an old, allergic dog with immune problems -- and have been battling Malassezia skin infections (a yeast/fungus) for years.  It can be hard to get rid of.  My dog's problems respond better to chlorhexidine shampoos, or chlorhexidine mixed with an -azole, than to straight Miconazole shampoos. YMMV

I have been to the vet.  In the past she has been treated against it (she tested posititive).  4 months of pills (Itraconazole).   Vets advice.... and it was bad advice (harmful pills).

Very often it comes back.

Just asking for people s personal experiences.

To be honest... in 13 years of taking her to (virtually every vet here) vets, I learnt more from ordinary people than from vets,....  which doesnt mean that I dont listen to the vet.  As I do for my own medical problems,.... I seek medical advice, hear people s opinions, study about it myself.... and then draw my own conclusion.  

At age 13,.... she has bad arthritis and I am keeping her pain free and happy without vet s advice and horrible pain killers

All dogs have fungus but it can get worse when immunity goes dow, after an antibiotics treatment, etc .... and like now, in the rainy season

Her fungus is not too bad at the moment.  Keeping it under control with safe homeopatic ointments etc ...   A good shampoo is another measure.

Thanks Cronopio

Rony

Rony - I forgot about another shampoo I've used for the Malassezia infection on my dog's skin.  I got it from Ladron's clinic, and it is called "Fungi Pet's Oil" by NorVet.  It has a lot of active ingredients: Ketoconazol, chlorhexidine, sulfur, iodine, salicylic acid, and coal tar.  So maybe not a gentle shampoo, but it helped my dog a lot and didn't irritate her wrecked skin. 

Keep it in mind in case the fungus gets worse.

(I also had my dog on itraconazole pills for months -- nasty stuff that didn't seem to help...)

45 minutes ago, Cronopio said:

Rony - I forgot about another shampoo I've used for the Malassezia infection on my dog's skin.  I got it from Ladron's clinic, and it is called "Fungi Pet's Oil" by NorVet.  It has a lot of active ingredients: Ketoconazol, chlorhexidine, sulfur, iodine, salicylic acid, and coal tar.  So maybe not a gentle shampoo, but it helped my dog a lot and didn't irritate her wrecked skin. 

Keep it in mind in case the fungus gets worse.

(I also had my dog on itraconazole pills for months -- nasty stuff that didn't seem to help...)

Gracias !

It was a " good " local vet who prescribed the Itraconazole and actually, since it was only in her (outside) ears, a bit of vinager would have solved the problem (I learnt that afterwards).  Fortunately, mine only has a minor fungus problem, that seems to get a little worse every time after bathing her (and I do dry her thoroughly)....   A good shampoo could reduce that

-Cats are more likely to get fungus but dogs defiantly get it as well just as some cats get mange.

Any Vet will have a good fungus shampoo I am with you I do not like to give the oral meds for fungus unless all else fails small older dogs cannot handle those harsh meds 

Try rinsing your dog with a solution of one part cider vinegar 3 parts water do not rinse it off. I use this when I get small kittens in with fungus  it is slower but it works and no harm to the little ones.

Another thought - don't bathe the dog so often. Use the vinegar and then don't bathe the dog unless the fungus gets worse or she gets into mud or something stinky.  It's almost impossible to dry thick fur down to the skin. Dogs have natural oils that protect their skin. I maybe give mine one bath a year. I brush and comb them regularly. Our late Corgi, Nani, lived to be 12 and had about 6 baths in her whole life, and that includes the 2 baths she got after her encounter with the skunk.

I agree about the over bathing. It dries out the skin, makes the dog itchy, then they scratch and create irritations that are a haven for all things nasty.  How about putting some good quality natural coconut oil on her irritations? It's antiviral, antifungal, antibacterial and it soothes and helps to heal.

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/top-7-reasons-to-use-coconut-oil-for-dogs/

Edited to add: Virbac joint and weight management food has had a remarkable effect on my girls. They're bouncing around like puppies and Cora will be 5 in December and Ginny will be "7" in March. Cora has two spurs in her back. The bonus is the remarkable shiny, thick coat and healthy skin. Neither one of my girls has ever had a bath and they smell like fresh air and sunshine.

Tea tree oil has strong anti-fungal properties. I add a few drops to the regular dog shampoo. It also keeps fleas and ticks off the dog. And when my dog had a lot of ticks a couple of years ago (was a really bad tick year), there were lots in her ears- really hard to get out in all those little folds. I dipped a Q-tip in tea tree oil, and swabbed out her ears, gettng into all those tiny spaces. The ticks all came out on the Q-tip and no more attached themselves there for several weeks.

• 1 month later...

Rony - I would be delighted to formulate a special shampoo for Miss Virginia, or even a gentle anti-fungal oil treatment that can be left on.

Guarantee the soap will rinse out clean & you will LOSE the fungus issue.

Archived