Chapala.com Webboard

Salvador's Restaurant

lakeside7

1 hour ago, Yo1 said:

And they cut down the beautiful trees along the side of the building.  And Chapala allowed that?

Sadly many of the trees planted in the area are trash trees that grow very fast....which maybe ok if they are not planted  under the overhead utility cables...then nobody wants responsibly for trimming them!!!

Yesterday I asked a member of the construction crew, when the remodel for Erik, the new leaseholder, will be finished. The guy said in about a month. It looks like a major rehab to include the second floor.  So when I check again, in a  week or two, they will probably say again, in about a month.  The point is they are working hard, and the final product will look much different than the old Salvador's.

I met Erik once in early May just before I went north for 7 weeks, he said in perfect American English, that he was opening a Mediterranean Restaurant. I understand that he is Mexican and had or has one or more restaurants in Colorado.

How reliable is the information I just posted. I hope that it is pretty accurate, but only time will tell.

But is good to be back in Mexico and away from the heat up North

2 hours ago, johanson said:

Yesterday I asked a member of the construction crew, when the remodel for Erik, the new leaseholder, will be finished. The guy said in about a month. It looks like a major rehab to include the second floor.  So when I check again, in a  week or two, they will probably say again, in about a month.  The point is they are working hard, and the final product will look much different than the old Salvador's.

I met Erik once in early May just before I went north for 7 weeks, he said in perfect American English, that he was opening a Mediterranean Restaurant. I understand that he is Mexican and had or has one or more restaurants in Colorado.

How reliable is the information I just posted. I hope that it is pretty accurate, but only time will tell.

But is good to be back in Mexico and away from the heat up North

Pete if you have seen it , can you really believe that it will be ready in 1 month or 2 months??? if so I will wager you a small bet. I will buy you a dinner there on 4th August or you buy me a dinner when it is ready. OK

I am not an expert on the subject but like you, what they are doing seems to be a major remodel and yes it would appear that it will take much more than a month. But I have no idea how long, because I do not know what their plans are. And I am sorry if I suggested it would be ready in one or two months. 

We all could do a better job of suggesting how long it will take if we knew what the final plans are.

13 hours ago, Yo1 said:

Long enough to see lots of trees go without permission.  And trees that are dangerous ignored.

For sure, Yo1, for sure!

I stopped by at noon today, on the way to the Chopsticks restaurant at the other end of the block. This time, I asked the three workers who happening to be out front working on the restaurant remodel, in Spanish, "How many more months, 2 or 3 ?"  They smiled, didn't answer, as it was obvious they had no idea. Then one of the works, using my name said hello.  I guess he must have worked for me in the past. I don't remember.

But the point is that depending on the plans, this could be a very major change, and take a long time, or if not much more is going to change, it would still take a while to get the place ready for opening. Even the parking space in front of the building is dug up.

4 minutes ago, johanson said:

in Spanish, "How many more months, 2 or 3 ?"  They smiled, didn't answer, as it was obvious they had no idea

The workers may not know the whole plan. Also, they may not be hired for the whole job. There may be other crews.

1 hour ago, johanson said:

Exactly.  I get the idea the reason they did not answer was because they had no idea what the plans were. They were just completing the project assigned to them.

All they know is some person interrupting their work by asking questions.  HAHAHAHA

54 minutes ago, johanson said:

And Tiny, it sure did blow my mind, when one of the three, none of whom I thought I knew, called me by my first name and asked how things were going.

And how many years you been living Lakeside?

Made an offer in 1996 on a home in Ajijic, subject to the sale of my home up north which was accepted, and the property closed in 1997.

I used to come for three or four months per year, once I was totally retired and had also sold the summer cottage in 2006 I began coming down for longer and longer each year. I must average almost 9 months per year here these days.

Archived